• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Happy Free Agency Day

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings have about $13.6 million in cap space. Do any of you see them making any moves today or in the next couple?

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linked to Hoffman a lot...he is sneaky good but dunno he comes to LA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing too crazy so far. Holtby to Vancouver. Lundqvist to Washington. Markstrom to Calgary. Khudobin staying in Dallas.

You guys mentioned on the other thread, but JMFJ to Rangers. Shatenkirk to Anaheim, who I feel like basically a slightly better version of JMFJ. He's on the ice for pretty much every goal against that I saw the Lightning give up.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings are not known for free agent day moves
I think they will wait and see. There are teams that want to clear cap space and Kings may find better value that way. They are not thinking Cup this year so likely will plan for next year with expansion draft and no raise in the cap again

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings are not known for free agent day moves
I think they will wait and see. There are teams that want to clear cap space and Kings may find better value that way. They are not thinking Cup this year so likely will plan for next year with expansion draft and no raise in the cap again

Yeah I am cool with them doing nothing. Just because you have cap room doesn't mean you need to just blow it all away. I am not sure how Kings have so much cap room with that $10mil or so in dead money/cap for Kovalchuk and Phaneuf. Lot of rumors about Kings taking on more cap from other teams, but LA would be milking more draft capital out of those teams if they did.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok odd question that may be relevant this year:
RFA qualifying offers usually it means a bump in pay at least. This year a bunch of RFAs were not made offers. This makes them UFAs. Is there any rule that a team can’t resign them for less than the qualifying offer would have been? Even the team they were just on?
i don’t know why they couldn’t other than insulting to the players

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RFA qualifying offers usually it means a bump in pay at least. This year a bunch of RFAs were not made offers. This makes them UFAs. Is there any rule that a team can’t resign them for less than the qualifying offer would have been? Even the team they were just on?
What do you think if they took on Fleury with his contract if it meant getting maybe a #1 & 2 next year. I know its a pipe dream and really dont have a place for him but just for kicks. Next year Kovalchuck comes off and Phaneuf drops from $4m to $1m so that will free up $9M.
I say this purely for the sake of discussion.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think if they took on Fleury with his contract if it meant getting maybe a #1 & 2 next year. I know its a pipe dream and really dont have a place for him but just for kicks. Next year Kovalchuck comes off and Phaneuf drops from $4m to $1m so that will free up $9M.
I say this purely for the sake of discussion.

Fleury has more than one year I think, which isn't great to have two expensive goalies around age 35. I guess main things are that there aren't enough games to be played for Quick, Peterson, and then Fleury. So who's the odd man out and why?

I also don't think Vegas is in a hurry to deal Fleury. I know that's the thinking but Fleury is beloved in Vegas and they only signed Lehner because he's much younger. NHL is almost becoming like NFL where you need two good running backs. NHL you can almost see them needing two goalies. Vegas is all set to keep making a run right now, so I don't see how keeping both goalies is that big of an issues.

I doubt Vegas gives LA a top pick to take Fleury off their hands. I could see them maybe doing it for Seattle. Give them a pick to take Fleury. But I don't really see either scenario.

That's all my opinion, and Kings definitely rumored to be trying to take on contracts, so who knows?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Happy Veteran's Day jabronis, hope you're all doing well.

Quick answer: No and no. If an RFA is not tendered their MQO they are UFAs free to sign with any team, including the one that just relinquished their rights, for whatever they agree upon over the NHL minimum salary for that given season. This has happened in the past, is still legal under the current CBA but it rarely happens and is always financially driven. If an RFA is not qualified it generally means the team and them are parting ways.

When it does though it's usually low level/mid tier guys (think 7-11, he was a backup goalie making almost $2 million a season by the time his Kings tenure came to an end because of the scaled salary system for RFAs. Kings didn't qualify him, he became a UFA and signed with Carolina for like $1 million or something) but the biggest one I can think of was Paul Kariya Cha Cha Cha back in 2002-03. He was a Duck making $10 million, so his MQO for 2003-04 would have been the same $10 million. Dismal still owned the Ducks, were cheap as shit and made the decision not to qualify him so he immediately became a UFA on July 1, 2003.

Everyone thought, and he insinuated it too, that he would be returning to the Ducks for far less. They had just advanced to the SCFs and lost in Game 7 (still one of the most unbelievable, farce of a playoff runs I have ever witnessed. Lowest scoring team to ever reach the SCF, it was all Giguere). Instead, the infamous "package deal" happens with him and Tea Bag signing with the Avalanche for a combined $7 million (Tea Bag went for $5.8 million, Kariya stunned everyone by signing for $1.2 million), he infamously stated "we will be back" at the end of season public rally, etc. so it was vastly assumed the plan was for him to come back at considerably less.

They both promptly shit the bed together in Colorado and were UFAs again in July 2004 and rubbed each other down with coconut oil as usual. The end.

Last edited:

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Veteran's Day jabronis, hope you're all doing well.

Quick answer: No and no. If an RFA is not tendered their MQO they are UFAs free to sign with any team, including the one that just relinquished their rights, for whatever they agree upon over the NHL minimum salary for that given season. This has happened in the past, is still legal under the current CBA but it rarely happens and is always financially driven. If an RFA is not qualified it generally means the team and them are parting ways.

When it does though it's usually low level/mid tier guys (think 7-11, he was a backup goalie making almost $2 million a season by the time his Kings tenure came to an end because of the scaled salary system for RFAs. Kings didn't qualify him, he became a UFA and signed with Carolina for like $1 million or something) but the biggest one I can think of was Paul Kariya Cha Cha Cha back in 2002-03. He was a Duck making $10 million, so his MQO for 2003-04 would have been the same $10 million. Dismal still owned the Ducks, were cheap as shit and made the decision not to qualify him so he immediately became a UFA on July 1, 2003.

Everyone thought, and he insinuated it too, that he would be returning to the Ducks or far less. They had just advanced to the SCFs and lost in Game 7 (still one of the most unbelievable, farce of a playoff runs I have ever witnessed. Lowest scoring team to ever reach the SCF, it was all Giguere). Instead, the infamous "package deal" happens with him and Tea Bag signing with the Avalanche for a combined $7 million (Tea Bag went for $5.8 million, Kariya stunned everyone by signing for $1.2 million).

They both promptly shit the bed together in Colorado and were UFAs again in July 2004 and rubbed each other down with coconut oil as usual. The end.
I do remember that deal. I just wasn’t sure if his own team could have signed him.
kings are doing nothing this year , if they even play at this rate