• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Half way and in last place

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well just look at the standings, even Buffalo is ahead of the Wings. Kenny, what's the problem? You don't know how to GM in the Cap Era? There is not ONE bonafide STAR on this team. Hey, let's build a new arena and the fans will come. :gaah:

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny needs to fix the D corps. We all knew that going into the season. Get a couple #1 defenders on this roster and the Wings will be contenders again.

I also think Zetterberg and Kronwall need to retire and a North American needs to be granted captaincy of the team. This roster is no longer compatible with Swedish-style hockey.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny needs to fix the D corps. We all knew that going into the season. Get a couple #1 defenders on this roster and the Wings will be contenders again.

I also think Zetterberg and Kronwall need to retire and a North American needs to be granted captaincy of the team. This roster is no longer compatible with Swedish-style hockey.

Getting a #1 defenseman is the hardest thing to do in the NHL. And Holland has done a terrible job addressing the need.

Last thing you should want is Z and Kronner to retire, it would be devastating to the Wings cap. And you can't hid them both on LTIR for relief.

It's actually impressive how badly Holland has screwed this team, not just this year but for years to come. Worst, we might get the #1 overall pick and this the weakest draft class in years. Bugger.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a #1 defenseman is the hardest thing to do in the NHL. And Holland has done a terrible job addressing the need.

Agreed. Improvements could have been had, though. Shattenkirk, Fowler and Trouba were all on the market going into this season. I don't know what the asking price would've been, but just about anyone on the roster except Larkin and Mantha should've been considered options going the other way. Credit Holland for loyalty to players, but that loyalty has been as much of a detriment as a benefit to the success of this team recently. It's well-beyond time to let go and move some guys to fix the back end.

Last thing you should want is Z and Kronner to retire, it would be devastating to the Wings cap. And you can't hid them both on LTIR for relief.

Yes, it would be devastating to the cap, but there's also little chance the Wings can get back to championship contention with those guys leading the roster now. Holland might be able to flip one of them to a young cap floor team that needs veteran leadership (i.e. Arizona pt. II). Loyalty will likely make that an impossibility. I've been hoping Holland leaves them both available in the expansion draft.

It's actually impressive how badly Holland has screwed this team, not just this year but for years to come. Worst, we might get the #1 overall pick and this the weakest draft class in years. Bugger.

The seemingly consensus top-rated defenseman in the upcoming draft is Timothy Liljegren. He's a Swede, is the same size as Lidstrom and is most commonly compared to Eric Karlsson. That said we can expect Holland to pass on him in favor of a center because "the team has problems scoring goals". Well, why is that?... Because we can't get the puck out of our own zone and can't get shots through from the point.

Fix the D and the offense will take care of itself, Kenny. See Blue Jackets, Columbus.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but if you are St. Louis, Anaheim or Winnipeg, who on this roster would you want outside of Mantha or Larkin? I sure as hell hope Holland won't give up draft picks, they are going to be valuable this year.

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade them all, like I said, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno stars on this team, NONE.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree, but if you are St. Louis, Anaheim or Winnipeg, who on this roster would you want outside of Mantha or Larkin? I sure as hell hope Holland won't give up draft picks, they are going to be valuable this year.

Going into the season, the Wings would've probably had to have given up a higher-paid roster player to even fit one of those guys in under the cap (i.e. Nyquist @ 4.25M) along with a top prospect or draft pick or both.

The Wings are very likely not going to be buyers at the trade deadline this year, but maybe they could flip a roster player to a contender for a solid D prospect and a draft pick. That's probably the most realistic way to rebuild the D corps now.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade them all, like I said, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno stars on this team, NONE.

The days of finding guys like Lidstrom in the 3rd round and Datsyuk in the 6th are over. The internet killed that. Now, the only way to get impact players through the draft is to have a few shitty seasons and draft high.

The Wings have been holding onto mediocrity for almost a decade now and pretty much all the real impact players are gone by the 20th pick. It's time to stop holding onto the past and execute a true rebuild.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The days of finding guys like Lidstrom in the 3rd round and Datsyuk in the 6th are over. The internet killed that. Now, the only way to get impact players through the draft is to have a few shitty seasons and draft high.

The Wings have been holding onto mediocrity for almost a decade now and pretty much all the real impact players are gone by the 20th pick. It's time to stop holding onto the past and execute a true rebuild.

I agree you aren't finding them in late rounds but you can still get good defensemen in the middle first to the lower second rounds. Guys like Duncan Keith and Roman Josi. I think a bigger problem with the Wings is that our development very well might be dog sh!t. But it really hurts when you have drafted two dmen in the first round in 15 years (and those turn out to be Kindl and Smith).

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for a NEW ARENA and some new players. The team has quit and time to TRY and unload some of this garbage:trash:

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for a NEW ARENA and some new players. The team has quit and time to TRY and unload some of this garbage:trash:

They sure as hell don't like to show up on time. Amazing how many early goals we give up.

Also, I'm done with Coreau, he isn't a long term starter in the NHL. Play Mrazek until the wheels fall off completely or he finds his form. You have nothing to lose at this point.

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5-in-a-row, but at this point, who's counting????????????:gaah: