• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guti & Morales

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I just want these 2 back. We get our RH bat in Guti (if he can stay healthy) and we get our DH Switch-Hitter to go along with Cano. I think we should just sign Morales, Choo & Colon already and call it a day. Then if an amazing deal arises and it's worth making a trade we do something with the abundance of young players we have. In the mean time hang on to Franklin and let him chill in AAA.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gutierrez is sick as we speak. Seriously. It's his default position.

But yeah, if the M's signed him to a deal, why not?

And yes to Morales if he can't get another club to give up a draft pick and pay him $30 mill +.

The lack of right handed hitting is a problem.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine all the incentives a Guti contract would have at this point?

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just say no to Guti. Please, no more.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gutierrez was brought back, I have to think it would be in a 4th outfielder/defensive replacement role and not in a starting outfielder role. There's too much risk involved to make him a starter again, even at a reduced price and even as good as his glove is out there. The team would have to have a contingency plan in place in case he has to sit out more games and it's easier to just sign someone else to be the starter and replace Guti as the 4th outfielder/defensive replacement if he gets hurt again. A 4th outfielder is easier (and cheaper) to replace than a starter, so if you're gonna spend the money on a starter, it might as well be somebody you're reasonably certain you won't have to replace at some point during the season and just let Guti come off the bench.

Morales is someone that I want back for sure. Designated hitters that can actually hit are hard to find and he can hit. Getting him back leaves us with one less spot to fill with trades/other free agents.

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I just want these 2 back. We get our RH bat in Guti (if he can stay healthy) and we get our DH Switch-Hitter to go along with Cano. I think we should just sign Morales, Choo & Colon already and call it a day. Then if an amazing deal arises and it's worth making a trade we do something with the abundance of young players we have. In the mean time hang on to Franklin and let him chill in AAA.

I really liked the idea of Choo until I heard he is looking for a contract somewhere between Jayson Werth (7 years $126m) and Jacoby Ellsbury (7 years $153m).

For whatever moronic reason I figured Choo would get a deal around 5 years $75-$80m. Choo is a good player but not someone I think is worth going north of $100m for.

I have shifted my outfield desire to Matt Kemp. As mentioned in another thread I think he is a good fit and we could get him for a pretty reasonable package. Word is the Dodgers are willing to eat part of his contract as well. When healthy Matt Kemp is an MVP caliber player.

Ideally I would trade for Kemp and Gardner. Give Morales a team friendly deal. Then sign either Garza, Santana, Jimenez or Tanaka. If the Mariners make those moves I think they go into the season with a playoff caliber roster.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Def. Guti as a 4th OF. ^ you're completely right about Choo. I haven't been following his market and now facing reality with how much Choo is demanding, no thank you.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought I'd be considering going for Matt Kemp over Shin Soo Choo because Kemp was the bargain option LOL

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guti and healthy doesn't go well in a sentence.

Morales produced and he was nearly a 3 win player for us. I'd have no problem bringing him back.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still prefer signing Choo. The M's will have a lot of money starting next year because of their TV deal. They can actually compete with the big boys in terms of $ now.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought I'd be considering going for Matt Kemp over Shin Soo Choo because Kemp was the bargain option LOL

I just saw something on MLBTR that says Choo is looking for an annual contract in the $22m range.

The Rangers like Choo but not at his asking price, which Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram hears is $22MM annually (Twitter link). Nelson Cruz is a more viable option for Texas, Wilson adds.

Kemp is at $21m per year and the Dodgers would eat part of his contract.

Even if the Dodgers didn't absorb part of Kemp's contract he is a much better option at $21m per year. Kemp is an MVP caliber player whereas Choo is just a very good player.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with trading for Kemp is that the Dodgers want good player(s) back. They're going to want Walker or Paxton... Hell probably more!

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with trading for Kemp is that the Dodgers want good player(s) back. They're going to want Walker or Paxton... Hell probably more!

Exactly and that is probably not worth it unless you know 100% he isn't going to be dealing with injuries...And that is impossible.