• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guessing the 30 man opening day roster

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we all know by now, each team will begin this wacky season with a 30 man roster, which is good for two weeks. Then it's reduced to 28 for another two weeks before finally settling in for the rest of the season at 26. Assuming we make it to opening day without any loss of players due to injury or covid, here would be my 30 (an asterisk will be placed next to the extra 4 who otherwise would not make the squad on opening day):

Starters:

1b: Abreu
2b: Garcia
SS: Anderson
3b: Moncada
LF: Jimenez
CF: Robert
RF: Mazara
C: Grandal
DH: Encarnacion

Bench:

C: McCann
INF/OF: Mendick
OF: Engel
C/1b: Collins
INF: Madrigal*
OF: Delmonico**

Rotation:

Giolito
Keuchel
Cease
Lopez
Gonzalez

Bullpen:

Colome
Herrera
Bummer
Cishek
Marshall
Cordero
Fry
Fulmer
Kopech*
Hamilton**
Rodon**

I gave double asterisks to Basabe, Hamilton & Rodon because only two of them can squeeze onto the final two spots. I'm not sure if the Sox will balance the roster with a 15/15 player-pitcher ratio or if they go with an extra pitcher at the expense of a player. Delmonico would might be the choice to be cut if they go unbalanced. Otherwise, it would have to be determined if Rodon is 100% ready to go. If he is, he's in. If not, I'm guessing Hamilton gets the final slot.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a single word on Rodon? Really? I thought he was supposed to be ready by the All Star Break originally...Well, we're basically there...LOL.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a single word on Rodon? Really? I thought he was supposed to be ready by the All Star Break originally...Well, we're basically there...LOL.
Actually, there have been a number of articles as to his health and status, but nothing has been definitive. If I was to throw a percentage out there, I'd probably go with him being 90% ready, heath-wise. He still has a month to gain that extra 10%, but my guess is the Sox won't put him out there if he's not 100%.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, there have been a number of articles as to his health and status, but nothing has been definitive. If I was to throw a percentage out there, I'd probably go with him being 90% ready, heath-wise. He still has a month to gain that extra 10%, but my guess is the Sox won't put him out there if he's not 100%.

IMO, he will absolutely start the season in the rotation.

You don't think Yermin makes an expanded roster? I do.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was going to list a couple of sleepers who might slip in, but I thought by the time I finished, I'd be naming much of the complete roster. He was one of those sleepers. I loved the way Yermin played during that short stint in ST. Remember, I was at the game against the Reds when he he hit that two out/two strike homer in the bottom of the 9th to tie the ballgame. Even tho it was just ST, talk about getting the crowd jazzed, it was insane. So I'm definitely a fan of this kid, and I sure as hell can't rule him out at making the 30 roster cut, but I'm guessing he won't.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, if Rodon is ready to go, he will be in our starting rotation.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if Rodon is ready to go, he will be in our starting rotation.
I admire your guys' optimism, but even at 100%, which is still TBD and which I doubt he is at this stage, I see zero chance of Rodon coming out of the gate in the rotation. Zero. He's been out of the game for over a year. No way are the Sox going to have him start games, unless it's under one of those opener situations. Assuming he even makes the squad to start the season, look for him to come out of the pen at least several times or as I just mentioned, under an opener scenario.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admire your guys' optimism, but even at 100%, which is still TBD and which I doubt he is at this stage, I see zero chance of Rodon coming out of the gate in the rotation. Zero. He's been out of the game for over a year. No way are the Sox going to have him start games, unless it's under one of those opener situations. Assuming he even makes the squad to start the season, look for him to come out of the pen at least several times or as I just mentioned, under an opener scenario.

This post makes me want to double down and say Kopech will be in the rotation too.

: P

Rodon is one of those "in like Flynn" guys in our organization. If he's ready to go, he's gonna be in the starting 5...Based on his talent and history, nobody will question it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post makes me want to double down and say Kopech will be in the rotation too.

Rodon is one of those "in like Flynn" guys in our organization. If he's ready to go, he's gonna be in the starting 5...Based on his talent and history, nobody will question it.
Believe it or not Jiddy, I think Kopech stands a better chance of making the squad, if not the rotation, than Rodon. To me he looks more ready.

And I'm not ruling out Rodon because I'm against him making the team or the rotation for that matter. I just don't see the Sox throwing him out there to the wolves without significant prep time and opportunities. Guess we'll just have to wait an see.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not Jiddy, I think Kopech stands a better chance of making the squad, if not the rotation, than Rodon. To me he looks more ready.

And I'm not ruling out Rodon because I'm against him making the team or the rotation for that matter. I just don't see the Sox throwing him out there to the wolves without significant prep time and opportunities. Guess we'll just have to wait an see.

Nah...I don't agree...but hey, I've been wrong plenty of times.

But...On that note:

How fantastic would it be if a rotation spot was being battled for between them and their wives got into a fight on Twitter about it?

That would be more exciting than the 2020 idseer approved MLB exhibition season.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Name one established in his prime veteran starting pitcher in the MLB who made his return from TJ/rotator cuff/labrum surgery by coming out of the bullpen.

I literally do not think there is a single example. At least, not in recent history. I'm sorry but you're way off the mark on this one, LSD.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait... are people actually doubting that Kopech will be in the rotation? Seems like an absolute no doubter.

A) He's getting service time anyway.

B) It's been nearly freakin two years since his surgery and he came out in ST throwing over 100 MPH.

C) We no longer have to worry about an innings limit. There's not enough games for it to come into play.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait... are people actually doubting that Kopech will be in the rotation? Seems like an absolute no doubter.

A) He's getting service time anyway.

B) It's been nearly freakin two years since his surgery and he came out in ST throwing over 100 MPH.

C) We no longer have to worry about an innings limit. There's not enough games for it to come into play.

Giolito
Keuchel
Rodon
Lopez
Gonzalez
Kopech/Cease

Kinda how I see it. Lopez I put a tad higher but I wouldn't be surprised if he flubbed out. Kopech is definitely in the picture...as he should be...F*cking hype machine has been working overtime on him for a couple years now...sooo...But Lopez and Cease have been held in higher regard as well. Possibly Gonzalez as the odd man out if the young guns blow us all away. Honestly, that would be best case scenario...and what it should be. Gonzalez is the safety net.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giolito
Keuchel
Rodon
Lopez
Gonzalez
Kopech/Cease

Kinda how I see it. Lopez I put a tad higher but I wouldn't be surprised if he flubbed out. Kopech is definitely in the picture...as he should be...F*cking hype machine has been working overtime on him for a couple years now...sooo...But Lopez and Cease have been held in higher regard as well. Possibly Gonzalez as the odd man out if the young guns blow us all away. Honestly, that would be best case scenario...and what it should be. Gonzalez is the safety net.

Lopez is odd man out, IMO. He's had a lot of chances and even before all of this. There were talks of him being in a long relief role or something like that. He's just never been consistent and he also never had the prospect status of Kopech/Rodon/Cease. It was kind of out of the blue when he started dominating AAA.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name one established in his prime veteran starting pitcher in the MLB who made his return from TJ/rotator cuff/labrum surgery by coming out of the bullpen.

Can't come up with a specific name, but I'm pretty sure a number of them made several appearances/starts in the minors before making the trek back to the majors.

I literally do not think there is a single example. At least, not in recent history. I'm sorry but you're way off the mark on this one, LSD.

Hey, if I'm wrong, then that's good, it means he's 100% back and ready to kick ass. Like I said, it's not that I'm rooting against Rodon, it's just that I don't see him ready enough to be in the rotation when the season starts. All we can do now is wait and see.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top 60 is where the strategy comes in - as the 60 are all guys who can get called up to play.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't come up with a specific name, but I'm pretty sure a number of them made several appearances/starts in the minors before making the trek back to the majors.

Hey, if I'm wrong, then that's good, it means he's 100% back and ready to kick ass. Like I said, it's not that I'm rooting against Rodon, it's just that I don't see him ready enough to be in the rotation when the season starts. All we can do now is wait and see.

Well, yeah, rehab starts? Sure. That's obvious. However, that's what ST will be for.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what, no one believes in crochet?

For this year's roster? If that happened, multiple arms out of this group would have to either fail miserably or get hurt is my guess...and even then maybe not:

Giolito
Keuchel
Rodon
Lopez
Gonzalez
Kopech
Cease

I assume Dunning is still out there somewhere too...but I think he's further behind Kopech with the Tommy John thing...

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this year's roster? If that happened, multiple arms out of this group would have to either fail miserably or get hurt is my guess...and even then maybe not:

Giolito
Keuchel
Rodon
Lopez
Gonzalez
Kopech
Cease

I assume Dunning is still out there somewhere too...but I think he's further behind Kopech with the Tommy John thing...

Dunning and Lambert should be ready. The 30 guys on the taxi squad will be very interesting for pitching especially.