• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GRUDEN?

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Gruden will ever get back into coaching. He seems to like what hes doing. He's the guy I wanted for UW when we were going through the hiring process. No one listened to me though. Fuckers.

Personally I think he's one of the best coaches out there, when he's coaching. I suppose I'd rather have Texas get him than the SEC. =)

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have Gruden.

1) Superbowl experience does not come often in college coaches;
2) Can definitely see him being a good recruiter;
3) Kids will want to play hard for him, and I think he will get maximum effort out of his players.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have Holgorsen, if you want him.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden would be a great hire. Imagine this guy in your house if you're one of the top recruits in the country. All over, plus, he wouldn't baby this team the way Mack does. There would actually be ACCOUNTABILITY when defensive guys can't stop the QB option, or when our O-line is constantly getting their asses kicked by the opposing team, instead of clapping and claiming your team played hard throughout the game in your interview.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, Gruden might be my top choice the more I think about it.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has little if any experience at recruiting. NFL coaches rarely translate into elite college coaches.
Texas will not hire a NFL coach, the next Longhorn coach will come from the college ranks.

BenM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden ????

An ex pro coach ??? Never.....Texas could never be successful in the type of offense that he would implement. That pro shit just ain't gonna fly in college.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden ????

An ex pro coach ??? Never.....Texas could never be successful in the type of offense that he would implement. That pro shit just ain't gonna fly in college.

smh. Gruden was known for his defense, not his offense.:lame:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's making more money with his broadcasting and endorsement gigs then if he returned to coach pro or any top college team.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden ????

Yeah, Pete Carroll sucked at USC :L

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love when someone brings up Gruden coaching their team, especially their college team, because it gives me a chance to go on my Gruden rant. Gruden was a glorified offensive coordinator. He was good with Xs & Os. He was awful at dealing with people. A large chunk of his players hated him and to this day don't respect him because of how he treated them and he's a liar. He's the kind of guy that loves you when you're playing at a high level but get hurt and he won't even speak to you. He essentially had 2 good seasons in Tampa with a team that was Superbowl ready. He started shipping off the stars of that SB team the next season. He was an awful talent evaluator. He didn't build the Oakland team that went to the AFC championship, Al Davis did. He didn't build the team that he won the Superbowl with, Rich McKay did. Nope, what he built with the help of his puppet Bruce Allen was 45-51 over the 6 seasons after the Superbowl. And those teams that he built and the one's that were built for him had one thing in common: they were old!!! He worked well with veterans. I don't know if he just doesn't have the patients for young players or he's just not a good teacher but young players who came to the Bucs tended to regress over time. For this reason alone I wouldn't want him coaching my college team. I personally wouldn't let him in my living room to talk to my kid. Another problem is the offense. His offense is complicated. Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson said it took them about 3 years to learn it. How will a kid master that O in college? And if he dumbs it down will it sill be effective? At the end of the day the guy is just a fucking asshole and eventually it will catch up to him in college and he won't be able to recruit. OK, thanks for reading my Jon Gruden rant. I really enjoy it!!

BenM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Pete Carroll sucked at USC :L

Very few college teams have the manpower to run a pro style offense successfully. USC's teams under Pete Carroll had the type of talent to run anything and be successful. Alabama is in that position now. I thought USC's team in the 2005 BCS championship game had the stronger team man for man than Texas did.

Demo-D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden is an OC. He is not a Defensive coach. People make that mistake because of his superbowl win while at TB. The reason TB hired him was to bring the Offensive up to speed with their Defense.

HC do little recruiting in CFB. Most of the work is done by the assistants and you do not need to be a great recruiter at Texas. Kids are still lining up to play there because it is Texas.

Gruden would bring many things. The main one is a game day presence that will inspire his players. Something we are dearly missing.

the biggest downside to Gruden is that he would not stay long. 4 years at the most. If we want another coach who will spend 10-15 years with the program then Gruden is not the way to go.

I believe the next UT coach will be Art Briles

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think:

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash