• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ground and Pound

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels will be taking a 1960's approach to the offense in 2021.

Bill restructured the offensive line with big men with quick feet. The running backs are a mix of downhill runners that can take hits and give them. The game today
has shifted to a lighter defense with a focus on sped. Playing against a team designed to run directly at the defense and wear it down will be a problem for any team.

If this is the plan, we'll see Damien Harris and Rhamoinde Stevenson in games early and often. By the end of the third quarter, teams will have been slowed up and Sony Michel and JJ Tylor will be coming in with speed and power.

This will also open up the passing game in the second half because the speed of the pass rush will also have been diminished. The perfect example oif how this sytem works is the 2018 Super Bowl year when the Chiefs had a huge run stopping defensive line and a smaller faster defensive line to go after the passer. If you remember, the Patriots tore up the game by running 75% of the time in the first half. The Chiefs had to start subbing the lighter guys to give the monsters some breaks and the running backs broke them down also. When the game got to the OT the Chiefs' defense was totally gassed and the Patriots were able to push them the entire length of the field. They did the exact same thuing against the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Early in the season, this takes Cam's throwing arm out of the picture and puts the responsibility into the legs of the Running backs. For the modern fan, the Patriots will be boring to watch. For the opposing teams, they will be painful to play.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels will be taking a 1960's approach to the offense in 2021.

Bill restructured the offensive line with big men with quick feet. The running backs are a mix of downhill runners that can take hits and give them. The game today
has shifted to a lighter defense with a focus on sped. Playing against a team designed to run directly at the defense and wear it down will be a problem for any team.

If this is the plan, we'll see Damien Harris and Rhamoinde Stevenson in games early and often. By the end of the third quarter, teams will have been slowed up and Sony Michel and JJ Tylor will be coming in with speed and power.

This will also open up the passing game in the second half because the speed of the pass rush will also have been diminished. The perfect example oif how this sytem works is the 2018 Super Bowl year when the Chiefs had a huge run stopping defensive line and a smaller faster defensive line to go after the passer. If you remember, the Patriots tore up the game by running 75% of the time in the first half. The Chiefs had to start subbing the lighter guys to give the monsters some breaks and the running backs broke them down also. When the game got to the OT the Chiefs' defense was totally gassed and the Patriots were able to push them the entire length of the field. They did the exact same thuing against the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Early in the season, this takes Cam's throwing arm out of the picture and puts the responsibility into the legs of the Running backs. For the modern fan, the Patriots will be boring to watch. For the opposing teams, they will be painful to play.
It's funny to me and I could not find the post now if I tried. But I asked this question about a year ago. With defenses getting lighter and faster I wonder if offenses would get bigger and more powerful. As good a shape as these athletes are in the game wears on them. I specifically remember the ATL / NE Superbowl, Brady saw the ATL defense early in the third with hands on hips and panting that is when it really started to hit me. The Pats noted that and wore their ass out. I can see how it would tie into todays game

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny to me and I could not find the post now if I tried. But I asked this question about a year ago. With defenses getting lighter and faster I wonder if offenses would get bigger and more powerful. As good a shape as these athletes are in the game wears on them. I specifically remember the ATL / NE Superbowl, Brady saw the ATL defense early in the third with hands on hips and panting that is when it really started to hit me. The Pats noted that and wore their ass out. I can see how it would tie into todays game
That and a good defense to put their defense right back on the field.
"Ben, don't break" won't do that. Hit them now, not later!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That and a good defense to put their defense right back on the field.
"Ben, don't break" won't do that. Hit them now, not later!
It's odd, but BB seems to be or put together a defense that will stop the run AND be able to rush from the edge. He's creating a defense that will push back the middle of the OL and not allow the QB to step up. With Judon and Wise on the edges, the QB won't be able to take a diagonal route to the sideline and will have to get rid of the ball. Basically, it's a design to create offensive mistakes.

This defense is meant to hit now and beat you so bad, that you won't be able to slow them down later.

This is the same design of the 2001-2005 defense. Big, quick and mean.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's odd, but BB seems to be or put together a defense that will stop the run AND be able to rush from the edge. He's creating a defense that will push back the middle of the OL and not allow the QB to step up. With Judon and Wise on the edges, the QB won't be able to take a diagonal route to the sideline and will have to get rid of the ball. Basically, it's a design to create offensive mistakes.

This defense is meant to hit now and beat you so bad, that you won't be able to slow them down later.

This is the same design of the 2001-2005 defense. Big, quick and mean.
Stop the run and rush from the edge.

And has JC Jackson, Stephon Gilmore, John Jones and Devin McCourty deep. A couple of those guys a really fricken good. The others are better.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media gets worked up about nothing. When they do have something, they go insane.

After Tom Brady Sr. made his prediction about the Bucs being 4-0 after the Patriots game, people started reacting. As much as they've shit on the team and Belichick, they've turned into defenders.

Dre Kirkpatrick worked out for the Patriots on Thursday and it looks like the former Cardinal will be trying to convince BB to sign him. He made $1.5M last year. He'd give the secondary experienced depth. Also scheduled to visit are Richard Sherman, Josh Norman, Steve Nelson and Bashaud Breeland. It appears that Bill wants to prek up the corners that are already under contract. Gilmore, JC Jackson, J. Jones, J. Mills, J Williams and M. Jackson.

As one upset scribe said without a smile, "Bill will play 7 or 8 DBs all game and the Bucs will have to run the ball. He'll make sure that the passing record is not eclipsed in Foxboro."

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media gets worked up about nothing. When they do have something, they go insane.

After Tom Brady Sr. made his prediction about the Bucs being 4-0 after the Patriots game, people started reacting. As much as they've shit on the team and Belichick, they've turned into defenders.

Dre Kirkpatrick worked out for the Patriots on Thursday and it looks like the former Cardinal will be trying to convince BB to sign him. He made $1.5M last year. He'd give the secondary experienced depth. Also scheduled to visit are Richard Sherman, Josh Norman, Steve Nelson and Bashaud Breeland. It appears that Bill wants to prek up the corners that are already under contract. Gilmore, JC Jackson, J. Jones, J. Mills, J Williams and M. Jackson.

As one upset scribe said without a smile, "Bill will play 7 or 8 DBs all game and the Bucs will have to run the ball. He'll make sure that the passing record is not eclipsed in Foxboro."
Well I think the Bucs will be 4-0 after the Pats game. And I think BB will or might play 7 or 8 dbs and I think Brady will still pick it apart. And forcing a team to run against our D is handing them a gift.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think the Bucs will be 4-0 after the Pats game. And I think BB will or might play 7 or 8 dbs and I think Brady will still pick it apart. And forcing a team to run against our D is handing them a gift.
I'm surprised you are not more confident in our run-stopping improvements.....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised you are not more confident in our run-stopping improvements.....
I am confident we made an effort to improve the run stop, I am not confident it will work.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am confident we made an effort to improve the run stop, I am not confident it will work.
"...... interested to see who will be the most common 11th defender on the field. We have a pretty good idea that Lawrence Guy, Davon Godchaux, Kyle Van Noy, Matt Judon, Dont’a Hightower, Stephon Gilmore, JC Jackson, Jonathan Jones, Devin McCourty and Adrian Phillips will start. But who’s the 11th guy?

Some potential candidates: Henry Anderson, Christian Barmore, Ronnie Perkins, Chase Winovich, Deatrich Wise, Ja’Whaun Bentley, Anfernee Jennings, Josh Uche, Kyle Dugger and Jalen Mills."

"That’s a lot of options. The Patriots’ defense is incredibly deep this season."

Can you picture them constantly rotating in fresh bodies?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"...... interested to see who will be the most common 11th defender on the field. We have a pretty good idea that Lawrence Guy, Davon Godchaux, Kyle Van Noy, Matt Judon, Dont’a Hightower, Stephon Gilmore, JC Jackson, Jonathan Jones, Devin McCourty and Adrian Phillips will start. But who’s the 11th guy?

Some potential candidates: Henry Anderson, Christian Barmore, Ronnie Perkins, Chase Winovich, Deatrich Wise, Ja’Whaun Bentley, Anfernee Jennings, Josh Uche, Kyle Dugger and Jalen Mills."

"That’s a lot of options. The Patriots’ defense is incredibly deep this season."

I can picture a lot of things non of which assure me they will better at stopping the run.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think all aspects of the team (except kicker which is stable) are trending toward improvement.
Well that is the intent of the off season and draft, but until it all works out it's a paper tiger. And how many times in the past have we seen a team have a nice off season and draft only to remain Mehhh?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bill is going to spend more time with the defense this year than any year previously. Jerrod and Steve will be the Co-coordinators but Bill will be the Director of Defense. I'm willing to bet that the Patriots' defense will be very near to the top in every category and possibly the top NFL defense.

He'll leave the offense to Josh and have some input early, but once the season starts, all of the pieces will be in place.
No question that the DL and LB bodies will be interchangeable and changed as often as the need arises. There will be no sucking of air and hands on knees in the 4th quarter of games.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bill is going to spend more time with the defense this year than any year previously. Jerrod and Steve will be the Co-coordinators but Bill will be the Director of Defense. I'm willing to bet that the Patriots' defense will be very near to the top in every category and possibly the top NFL defense.

He'll leave the offense to Josh and have some input early, but once the season starts, all of the pieces will be in place.

No question that the DL and LB bodies will be interchangeable and changed as often as the need arises. There will be no sucking of air and hands on knees in the 4th quarter of games.
Well I would fell a lot better if BB took more control and fired Steve at least demote him to team jock strap adjuster

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can picture a lot of things non of which assure me they will better at stopping the run.

With Matty P back in the organization I can see our defense leaking like a sieve.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with BK on this. I think this will be one of the leagues best defenses in many catagories. I don't see a lot of teams game planning to run on them. Too stout up front and now will have some speed to keep the edge contained. With the need additions I expect we'll see a lot more pass rush pressure, hits and knock downs.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is the intent of the off season and draft, but until it all works out it's a paper tiger. And how many times in the past have we seen a team have a nice off season and draft only to remain Mehhh?
I think BB deserves more credit for converting a good off season into results than the average bear.