• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gronk to Refs: Be consistent in calling OPI

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If the consistency was there 100 percent, then I'd be cool with whatever it is," Gronkowski said. "One week, we're told we can play, it really isn't going to be called, they can hold and you can slap off their hands. Then the next week, if you touch the guy, it's a PI. I just wish I knew the consistency, so I can base my game off and practice and be prepared for the game and know the rules going in from week to week."

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick has noted Gronkowski's work in recent years in trying to avoid offensive pass interference penalties, most recently during a Monday interview on sports radio WEEI, when he said, "Rob and I have talked about that situation ... I think he really tries to do what is legal and tries not to put himself in a situation where they can call him. He doesn't push off. He doesn't try to create space. He tries to defend himself, and that is what he's taught to do."

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your talking to yourself again.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gronk is still in football?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If the consistency was there 100 percent, then I'd be cool with whatever it is," Gronkowski said. "One week, we're told we can play, it really isn't going to be called, they can hold and you can slap off their hands. Then the next week, if you touch the guy, it's a PI. I just wish I knew the consistency, so I can base my game off and practice and be prepared for the game and know the rules going in from week to week."

Much like Home Plate Umpires and different strike zones, different refs are gonna call things tighter than others

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this about Gronks amazing insight on this one.

The refs are not consistent in any aspect of officiating. Inconsistency is part of the game. Maybe Gronk should avoid committing opi altogether.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The refs are not consistent in any aspect of officiating. Inconsistency is part of the game. Maybe Gronk should avoid committing opi altogether.

Yeah, that's the point. He's avoiding it, and still getting penalized. Like, Scooby, you don't think it would be better if refs were consistent with, like, all the rules?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he rarely does. he USED to, years ago.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should be careful what he wishes for. 1) the couple of Pats games I watched this year, I saw him getting away with OPI. 2) and this is the larger one, when you call out refs they don't usually respond to you in a favorable way. They get pissed about being told to do their job.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should be careful what he wishes for. 1) the couple of Pats games I watched this year, I saw him getting away with OPI. 2) and this is the larger one, when you call out refs they don't usually respond to you in a favorable way. They get pissed about being told to do their job.
define "is".

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like Home Plate Umpires and different strike zones, different refs are gonna call things tighter than others

Yeah last night how many freaking high strikes (at least according to k zone while watching online) were called strikes

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but what we're seeing is the same crew being wildly inconsistent with their calls in a single game. Beyond that we're seeing certain crews being wildly incompetent. For instance, anytime you see Jeff Triplette or Gene Steratore out there you know you're in for a shit show.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things here...

1) Gronk for the most part seems to be the main guy that ever complains about this penalty. He plays physically even by TE standards so he should expect that more OPI penalties will come his way.

2) The Patriots are one of the least penalized teams in the NFL almost every year. So for them to be complaining about penalties they have done a great job of avoiding them.

3) Gronk gets away with a lot of OPI. I know other players are physical with him but that is in big part because of how physical he is and they know they have to try and match that physicality. Can't play physical then get mad that refs call you on that physical play. In the NFL you push the boundaries and see what you can get away with then adjust from there. Problem for Gronk is that he hasn't learned how to adjust completely. I would say he gets away with about 90% of the OPI's he commits though.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things here...

1) Gronk for the most part seems to be the main guy that ever complains about this penalty. He plays physically even by TE standards so he should expect that more OPI penalties will come his way.

2) The Patriots are one of the least penalized teams in the NFL almost every year. So for them to be complaining about penalties they have done a great job of avoiding them.

3) Gronk gets away with a lot of OPI. I know other players are physical with him but that is in big part because of how physical he is and they know they have to try and match that physicality. Can't play physical then get mad that refs call you on that physical play. In the NFL you push the boundaries and see what you can get away with then adjust from there. Problem for Gronk is that he hasn't learned how to adjust completely. I would say he gets away with about 90% of the OPI's he commits though.
hes big, and it always looks worse than it is. its simple really. he used to push off when he was younger. bill corrected it.
what he does is no different from any other TE. due to his size, and the size of guys that cover him, it always looks nefarious.

this is from 2015:

Gronk has a point about refs targeting him

at the time he had more OPI calls than 30...thirty...teams.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes big, and it always looks worse than it is. its simple really. he used to push off when he was younger. bill corrected it.
what he does is no different from any other TE. due to his size, and the size of guys that cover him, it always looks nefarious.

this is from 2015:

Gronk has a point about refs targeting him

at the time he had more OPI calls than 30...thirty...teams.

Yeah I've looked at that article. When you can look at it as a non-Pats fan you can say every one of those have legitimate reasons for being called. Are some of them a little ticky tack...of course. But that happens when you have built up a reputation. He is stronger than the guy across from him 95% of the time. He has to learn that what to him is a little shove still throws that player across the field. Throw in because teams know that he does these little nudges they will work to exaggerate the push to get the call. That is just called good scouting. Teams do this against physical Corners too of trying to run double moves and get them to grab as they run down the sideline. WR's fake that contact was worse than it was all the time. These are things that are a part of the game. I could point out the hundreds of times that Von Miller gets held but never gets the call. I've watched OL jump on his back and ride him to the ground as he is about to hit the QB and nothing. This is jsut part of the game and Gronk needs to stop complaining and understand teams are trying to use his strength against him.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not consistent with DPI, that's for sure...