• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Roman hired by Bills

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good riddance buddy. Bills... Wow, just wow. Have none of you in Buffalo been watching this guy's offense? This is good news for Patriots fans

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the majority of the 49er fan base hates Greg Roman...but myself looking at him from a neutral perspective...I think he's a good coordinator who comes up with really creative schemes.

In my opinion a lot of what went wrong this year with the 49er offense was the offensive line and Kap regressing. Sure you can point to certain plays or stretches during the year where Roman made a call that was foolish...but see that's the thing...the coordinator calls a play...the players don't execute properly and it's always the coordinator's fault.

I think the Bills made two good hires. Rex gets the opportunity to work with an already talented defensive core and Roman gets to work on a young offense who desperately needs an identity

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason the Niners abandoned the run this year. When they committed to it, they were the same good team they've been for the last three years. Helped turn a 6-10 Ravens team into a 13-3 McNair led team in '06.

I have faith. And his relationship with Rex only strengthens the team.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaps not going with him.

Not trying to defend Kaep but these were issues when Smith was the QB, Roman has led an abysmal offense in terms of passing yards and Red Zone efficiency bottom of the league in most offensive category's since he took over playcalling duties for SF, Roman is a pretty good Run game coordinator and showed flashes of brilliance from time to time but all to often he left you scratching your head with his game plans. Looming at the QB's on the Bills roster doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The delay of game penalties are due to Roman's system. Happened in Stanford too.

He calls in 3 plays to the QB. The QB then calls 3 plays in the huddle. QB gets to the line and reads the defense. Calls an audible to another play if the defense is set up better for one of the other 2 plays called. The defense shifts to a new defense and then the QB audibles again to the 3rd or back to the first play with a slight variation. Defense shifts again and play clock runs out or the QB calls time out or they run a play that is to the strength of defense set up.

It is the reason why the offense failed so much. If the defense is able to shift fast or shows a different defense then will be used on that play the offense will fail.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry hangman. That's on Kap. This isn't Tecmo Bowl. A defensive alignment shift doesn't mean you can't execute offensively.

BloodType49

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry hangman. That's on Kap. This isn't Tecmo Bowl. A defensive alignment shift doesn't mean you can't execute offensively.

Enjoy Roman lol

49ers penalties 2012: Timeouts and delay of game - Niners Nation

Over the last season and a half, one of the concerns I think most of us have is the 49ers use of timeouts. It seems like more often than not, the 49ers have burned all three first half timeouts with most of the second quarter still to be played. Against the Arizona Cardinals they did save a timeout for the final two minutes, but they had to use a pair of their timeouts because time was running down before they could run their plays.

Unfortunately we have no way to know whether this is slow play-calling from upstairs, or delays on the part of Alex Smith. The offensive coordinator calls in two plays to the quarterback, giving Alex Smith the option to run the play given, or "kill, kill kill" it and make a change. Is it possible that is slowing things down? I don't know the specific names of plays, so I don't know if play-call length is an issue.

Whatever the case, this has developed into a fairly noticeable issue. Ideally they would use the bye week to rectify it, but if the length of play-calls is part of the problem, then I'm not sure there is really an in-season fix at this point. Any thoughts on this issue? This seems to be the biggest weakness for the Jim Harbaugh offensive coaching staff.

BloodType49

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will add one more thing, perhaps since Roman sent the calls down to Jim and he passed them to Kaep this wont be so much of an issue as I doubt Rex Ryan will have much input on the offensive side of the ball, So maybe the play calling will flow a little more smoothly...only time will tell.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is very astute of you to pick Kaepernick out of all the QBs who have had the same problem in the system. Andrew Luck, Alex Smith and Collin Kaepernick. Also Hogan had this problem at Stanford this year running the same offensive scheme. But it is all on Kaepernick. I can clearly see that now.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you're putting it all on a coordinator. I would think Harbaugh and Kaepernick are one and two when it comes to blame. I'll take his playoff appearances as proof it's not a season killer.

Reaper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it really matter not like the Bills have a QB.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The delay of game penalties are due to Roman's system. Happened in Stanford too.

He calls in 3 plays to the QB. The QB then calls 3 plays in the huddle. QB gets to the line and reads the defense. Calls an audible to another play if the defense is set up better for one of the other 2 plays called. The defense shifts to a new defense and then the QB audibles again to the 3rd or back to the first play with a slight variation. Defense shifts again and play clock runs out or the QB calls time out or they run a play that is to the strength of defense set up.

It is the reason why the offense failed so much. If the defense is able to shift fast or shows a different defense then will be used on that play the offense will fail.
:agree: I know that Kap had trouble with Roman's new system this last season because he just can't read defenses but they didn't back off and just go back to what had worked. Maybe Roman will work out for the Bills...but I doubt it unless they have a QB the likes of Peyton Manning to be able to call the audible every single play.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it really matter not like the Bills have a QB.
Orton might come back if asked. E.J. isn't the guy there IMO. There are no starting QBs in the draft pick range so they might have to dip into the FA .

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Bills fan im not thrilled about Rex or Roman. Rex won't improve our defense and was a bust in NJ. Roman ran a good run game but he also had a better OLINE and RB in SF. He didn't do much to develop QBS which is what we need. I honestly think it will be the same old same old in Bills land and we will be breaking in a new HC in 3 years.