• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Great article by Pat Forde on the penalties and such

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugly breakup
Before we dive into a gluttonously good week, The Dash must note the building acrimony as Nebraska (2) plays its final games as a member of the Big 12 (3). This divorce could be reaching the stage of throwing potted plants at each other in the front yard as the moving vans load up belongings.

It was all on display Saturday in Texas A&M's 9-6 victory over the Cornhuskers in College Station -- uncontrolled sideline rage, questionable calls, cheap shots; you name it. Then came the postgame tantrums. And finally the conspiracy complaints from the Corn People, whose big season has been crippled by a Texas two-step of upsets: The officials are out to screw Nebraska on its way out the door to the Big Ten.

Here are the facts as The Dash knows them:

Penalties in that game were Nebraska 16 for 145 yards, Texas A&M two for 10 yards. The Cornhuskers were hit with five personal fouls and two unsportsmanlike conducts -- one of them on sideline demon Bo Pelini (4) at a critical juncture in a tie game. A roughing-the-passer penalty on the Huskers was a flat-out bad call. And the consecutive 15-yard penalties on Nebraska tight end Ben Cotton in the first half were, as this video shows, an understandable reaction to a disgusting cheap shot by A&M's Tony Jerod-Eddie.

Jerod-Eddie should be suspended for this week's game against Texas. Preferably the suspension would be delivered by A&M, but if the school doesn't have the, um, stones to do it, let Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe step in.

Bo Pelini engaged in a few heated discussions at Kyle Field on Saturday.
Beyond that is the bigger picture, which shows that Nebraska is flagged at a much higher rate than its opponents -- the numbers are 86 flags on the Huskers and 48 on the other guys so far.

Part of that is the fact that Nebraska tends to play on the edge of mayhem under Pelini -- they are aggressive to a fault and occasionally prone to crossing the line. The number of flags this year on the Huskers falls into line with their first two seasons under Bo.

But penalties on opponents are down from the past two years, when Nebraska was a Big 12 member in good standing. As Omaha World-Herald columnist Tom Shatel pointed out in his column Monday, Cornhuskers opponents have been penalized 48 times for 420 yards. Last year they were penalized 64 times and the previous year 84. That makes you wonder.

Shatel makes a good point: There's a greater likelihood that Big 12 refs are anti-Pelini than perpetrating an orchestrated payback on the school for leaving the league. Fact is, Pelini has surpassed Arizona's Mike Stoops (5) as the worst ref-baiter in college football -- and he embarrassed himself Saturday night in College Station.

If Pelini doesn't think spending three hours screaming at officials has any negative consequences, then he must think the "N" on the helmet stands for Nowledge. If he does understand that and persists anyway, he's got an anger issue. Either way, the criticism levied at Pelini by Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman on Sunday was significant and justified.

Pelini's sideline demeanor was reprehensible toward the officials (including chasing after one of them postgame before going to shake Mike Sherman's hand). His tirade aimed at quarterback Taylor Martinez was even more distasteful (not surprisingly, there were widespread rumors Sunday night that Martinez quit the team -- rumors later dispelled). His equally hotheaded brother, defensive coordinator Carl Pelini (6), allegedly went after a credentialed videographer postgame and damaged his camera (Carl Pelini disputed the version of events from the videographer, who works for a Texas A&M fan site).

Pelini apologized publicly Monday for losing his mind.

For the school that gave us the dignified stoicism of Tom Osborne (7), this is an ironic disintegration of decorum. Dr. Tom needs to have a talk with his head coach, perhaps explaining that Jim Delany is much less inclined than Dan Beebe to tolerate the Linda Blair "Exorcist" routine from a millionaire head coach. Really, what Osborne needs to do is give Pelini a one-game suspension -- but with rival Colorado looming and a chance to win the North Division and play in one final Big 12 championship game, don't expect that to happen.

Stay tuned to see whether the Big 12 and Nebraska can be rid of one another without plants flying in the front yard.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention, the first person outside of Nebraska who believes the Aggie should be suspended.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh.....yea I don't really care about the part where he said Pelini embarrassed himself. Everyone on the face of the Earth has already said that. I am just happy that someone out there is willing to admit that what has been happening this season is more than questionable.

landon410

In the deed the glory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this guys must not remember what made nebraska great..... a coach just like bo......
think the school named a arena after him

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this guys must not remember what made nebraska great..... a coach just like bo......
think the school named a arena after him

This ^^^^

People always want to compare Bo to Osborne and say "Tom Osborne didn't yell and his teams were great."

Tom Osborne didn't have to yell, Bob Devaney did all the yelling years earlier for him. When Tom Osborne took over Nebraska already had that mentality that it was bigger, stronger, and just plain better than every team it was going to face.

Bo is trying to get the program on that track again. A program that takes that mentality will usually be one of the best every single year.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Perlman overstepped his boundary when he went public with his criticism of Pelini.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I don't like about the national media coverage of this is the people that are on shows like First Take or PTI. You know damn well they didn't watch the game. All they saw was a cut up package of Pelini turning into the Hulk. They don't know context or anything. Hell, the only people that know the context of the Taylor stuff is Taylor and Bo. But back to the media, during that package they show the clip of Bo yelling at Ben Cotton. Well if you didn't watch the game then you wouldn't know that that was 3 seconds after Ben got 30 yards of penalties which included him taking off his helmet on the field. Every player in the country would get yelled at for that. All this media saw was that Bo apologized and that perked their interest and then they saw the cut up package and then formed their opinion. It is just a joke on how this has been covered nation wide.

Stray35

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of that is the fact that Nebraska tends to play on the edge of mayhem under Pelini -- they are aggressive to a fault and occasionally prone to crossing the line.

This line really ticks me off!!! A defense that is aggressive to a fault.....someone please tell me WTF that means!!! To me this means a DB goes for the pick, misses, and gives up a big play worth 6 points...aggressive to a fault IF he misses the pick. How often has this happened to our secondary?? Or is this about all those helmet to helmet tackles by Martin and Osborne...bullshit!!

I'll agree the Blackshirts play on the edge of mayhem but it's a controlled mayhem. If that reciever hears Blackshirt footsteps you'd better bet your ass he's thinking about after the catch instead of concentrating on the catch.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This line really ticks me off!!! A defense that is aggressive to a fault.....someone please tell me WTF that means!!! To me this means a DB goes for the pick, misses, and gives up a big play worth 6 points...aggressive to a fault IF he misses the pick. How often has this happened to our secondary?? Or is this about all those helmet to helmet tackles by Martin and Osborne...bullshit!!

I'll agree the Blackshirts play on the edge of mayhem but it's a controlled mayhem. If that reciever hears Blackshirt footsteps you'd better bet your ass he's thinking about after the catch instead of concentrating on the catch.

Well said..

rep

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard anyone reference Lawrence Taylor as "agressive to a fault". LOL

jwesh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love this line: Nebraska tends to play on the edge of mayhem under Pelini

That is what we lacked under previous coaches. People are aware of it outside so I think from a PR standpoint Beebe will have that Crew avoid the Big 12 Title game should NU end up there.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a good article. Pelini was defending his players, did he cross the line? Maybe. With that being said he does have to learn some self control on the sidelines, things will only get worse. I would love a coach who would go to no end for me but at the same time he is the head coach of one of the biggest programs in the country and cameras will always be following wait for him to screw up. I see both sides of it and hopfully Pelini will find a middle ground and be a head coach here for a long time. I dont want to see him lose his job because of stupid shit like this.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think it will be a while before we see another outburst like that from Pelini..........the reason I say that is because when we head to the Big 10 the officiating isn't going to be anything like we have seen this season.

Bottom line is, if any officiating crew does what they did on Saturday.........Bo is gonna lose it. I don't care that he promised to not lose his cool again..........if we beat Colorado and then get that same officiating crew in the Big 12 Championship game, everyone better just watch out.