• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grading our '18 draft picks first season

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm like others in that I believe it takes a few years to really get a gauge as to how well or poorly a draft pick has panned out. But I figured what the hell, not much going on with our team at the moment and it's way too early to be talking offseason and the '19 draft. So let's grade how we think our rooks performed in their first year as Bear players. If you're grading like me, then I suggest giving weight relative to where they were selected. For instance, a 1st round pick SHOULD be way better than a 7th, so each grade will be according to when they were selected as well as their contribution or lack thereof to the team's fortunes this year. Use any grade you want, I'm going with a 1-10 scale, 10 being tremendous, 1 being just about worthless.

1. Roquan Smith - 9....I deducted a point due to his holdout. It took him a few games to really get his feet wet, but once he did, Smith was IMO one of our top 3 players on the Bears D full of veterans by season's end.

2. James Daniels - 8....Kinda like Smith, Daniels needed some time to work his way into the starting lineup. But once he became acclimated, he started becoming a force to be reckoned with.

2. Anthony Miller - 8....I was this >< close to giving him a grade of 7. I think Miller disappeared at times. Maybe in fairness it was due to his ongoing shoulder issues, but I'd like a bit more consistency from him game in and game out. Still, 7 TDs for a #3 receiver is pretty damn good.

4. Joel Iyiegbuniwe - 1....Virtually non-existent year from him. I could live with his lack of play from scrimmage if he was a ST beast, but he wasn't even that. Wonder if he'll even make the cut this coming season.

5. Bilal Nichols - 10....Relative to his draft spot and expectations, I think he was the pick of our draft. His strong and at times relentless play eventually made him a defacto starter by the end of this season and should easily go into '19 as a starter on the DL.

6. Kylie Fitts - 2....See Joel Iyiegbuniwe. Gets one extra point being he was a 6th rounder.

7. Javon Wims - 6....If you go by sheer production, then my grade would be a little bit on the high side. But I'm scaling in some potential and what he showed in the preseason. With White out of the picture, Wims should battle with Josh Bellamy for the #4 receiver spot this year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Miller would have broken out a little bit more if his shoulder didn't come out of it's socket 6 different times over the course of the season. He's a gamer to fight through that.

I expect big things from him in year #2. Nichols is a beast. Roquan got better with every game, as did Daniels. Some good talent from this class of ours.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iyiegbuniwe is probably only good as a backup at best. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone after this next season, possibly earlier. Fitts never really got a shot after Mack came around with Irving ahead of him as well. I don't think we'll get a feel for him at all unless Lynch isn't back and we don't sign anyone else to play ahead of Fitts and Irving. He's definitely raw but they knew that when they drafted him.

The rest of the class is outstanding. Miller could easily be our best receiver next year. Smith is superstar, Bilal Nichols is a force in the middle and Daniels is a mainstay on the line for the next 10 years. Wims didn't get a lot of opportunities but that dude makes Kevin White completely expendable and i'd feel perfectly comfortable with him getting routine PT: he's a baller.

Even if Iyiegbuniwe and Fitts don't turn out to be contributors, Pace still knocked this class out of the park.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iyiegbuniwe is probably only good as a backup at best. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone after this next season, possibly earlier. Fitts never really got a shot after Mack came around with Irving ahead of him as well. I don't think we'll get a feel for him at all unless Lynch isn't back and we don't sign anyone else to play ahead of Fitts and Irving. He's definitely raw but they knew that when they drafted him.

The rest of the class is outstanding. Miller could easily be our best receiver next year. Smith is superstar, Bilal Nichols is a force in the middle and Daniels is a mainstay on the line for the next 10 years. Wims didn't get a lot of opportunities but that dude makes Kevin White completely expendable and i'd feel perfectly comfortable with him getting routine PT: he's a baller.

Even if Iyiegbuniwe and Fitts don't turn out to be contributors, Pace still knocked this class out of the park.

Not only a successful draft, but he also scored with his FA acquisitions as well, including the hiring of Nagy. I personally think he's a lock for EOY, altho there is some growing sentiment for Ballard to be the choice.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ballatds team got a pro bowl QB back from injury and still didn't improve as much as we did (by record). No way pace doesn't get eoy.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN went back and regraded last years draft... Moved the Bears from a B- to an A- post first season draft pick performance. Only 1 team graded higher, I think the Colts.