• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Got Me Thinking About Michigan...

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That added to it. As did his on field antics.

However, Pelini was fired because he couldn't win big games. His record vs teams that finished the season with 8 or less wins was acceptable, but his record against teams with 9 or more wins was terrible. I'd posted a list a few years ago outlining the 7 year stats. I'll see if I can find it later.

There were a lot of defensive records that fell under Pelini. Some dating all the way back to the Jennings era of the 1950's. Most yards, Most points, etc.

the old bend but don't break system eventually turns into snap like little twigs when you can't recruit.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.

HUGE difference between Michigan/Ohio St and Nebraska/Iowa.

Iowa was not even considered a rival by Nebraskan's, but it was his 9th win and (at least) 9 wins was a standard set by Tom Osborne. The difference in that was they didn't play 13 games (12 + bowl) a season back in the 70's, 80's, 90's.

9 wins these days = Irrelevant. 10 is the new standard unless you're tejas. A 9 win tejas team gets ranked in the Top 15.

1) Nobody underachieves like tejas. NOBODY!!!!
2) Bo Pelini >>>> Jim Harbaugh
Michigan is giving Texas a run for their money. The Texas loss to TCU was very disappointing.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan is giving Texas a run for their money. The Texas loss to TCU was very disappointing.

Even then..... Michigan doesn't have the economic resources or recruiting base the tejas has.
Ask any tejas fan and they'd be happy to tell you all about the advantages tejas has over all of college football.

Nobody underachieves like tejas. NOBODY!!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info.

Here is a post I made 'prior to' the 2014 season that Pelini got fired after the Iowa win and gave him yet another 9 win season.

Not sure why I didn't update it to include the 2014 season. I guess I'd made my case. Anyway it shows Pelini's record vs teams with 9 or more wins. They were his achilles heel. He was pretty sure to get outcoached.
If Pelini would have been a relevant Top 10 team year after year (i.e. Elite Program), his bad mouthing of fans on a hot mic, and on field antics would have been forgiven IMO. Winning is more important for any college football program. Woody Hayes was a good example of that. He literally had to hit an opponents player to get fired.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a post I made 'prior to' the 2014 season that Pelini got fired after the Iowa win and gave him yet another 9 win season.

Not sure why I didn't update it to include the 2014 season. I guess I'd made my case. Anyway it shows Pelini's record vs teams with 9 or more wins. They were his achilles heel. He was pretty sure to get outcoached.
If Pelini would have been a relevant Top 10 team year after year (i.e. Elite Program), his bad mouthing of fans on a hot mic, and on field antics would have been forgiven IMO. Winning is more important for any college football program. Woody Hayes was a good example of that. He literally had to hit an opponents player to get fired.

Bringing up Woody? :pound:I don't recall him badmouthing the fanbase. And going by his 13 conference crowns and multiple national championships Pelini shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with him. Woody losing his mind is not comparable to how Pelini's time at Nebraska ended.

The Huskers have pretty much been a dumpsterfire since Pelini was fired. One winning season (2016) with his recruits. That's not good. Riley set this program back. And while I think Frost is the right coach to turn things around it might take a little longer than HuskersNation was hoping for.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bringing up Woody? :pound:I don't recall him badmouthing the fanbase. And going by his 13 conference crowns and multiple national championships Pelini shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with him. Woody losing his mind is not comparable to how Pelini's time at Nebraska ended.

The Huskers have pretty much been a dumpsterfire since Pelini was fired. One winning season (2016) with his recruits. That's not good. Riley set this program back. And while I think Frost is the right coach to turn things around it might take a little longer than HuskersNation was hoping for.

You don't read or comprehend very well, do you?

I was clear in that if Pelini had Woody's coaching acumen he'd have kept his job. True Woody did not badmouth the fanbase (that we know of). He didn't need to because they were never critical of him. They overlooked his on-field antics.
They even defended him when he hit a sideline reporter AND hit an opponents player.

Woody was simply an example of an asshole that won consistently and therefore kept his job.
Pelini was an asshole that couldn't win games against opponents of equal or greater caliber and got fired.

What they did have in common.... They were both assholes from Ohio.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even then..... Michigan doesn't have the economic resources or recruiting base the tejas has.
Ask any tejas fan and they'd be happy to tell you all about the advantages tejas has over all of college football.

That's why Texas>>>>>> NE job.. better at a place where you can underachieve with almost all the advantages.. than take a job that doesn't have any advantages except the history books of 25 years ago.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why Texas>>>>>> NE job.. better at a place where you can underachieve with almost all the advantages.. than take a job that doesn't have any advantages except the history books of 25 years ago.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Sugar Britches.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't read or comprehend very well, do you?

I was clear in that if Pelini had Woody's coaching acumen he'd have kept his job. True Woody did not badmouth the fanbase (that we know of). He didn't need to because they were never critical of him. They overlooked his on-field antics.
They even defended him when he hit a sideline reporter AND hit an opponents player.

Woody was simply an example of an asshole that won consistently and therefore kept his job.
Pelini was an asshole that couldn't win games against opponents of equal or greater caliber and got fired.

What they did have in common were both assholes were from Ohio.

Before I respond to this gotta know one thing. Are you from the state of Nebraska?

Last edited:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I respond to this gotta know one thing. Are you from the state of Nebraska? Hopefully you answer this question.

No. I was born in Iowa, moved to Florida, moved to California, then to Nebraska. Went into the military after that and lived in Berlin, Germany, Iceland, Mississippi, then Virginia.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring back Callahan ?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I was born in Iowa, moved to Florida, moved to California, then to Nebraska. Went into the military after that and lived in Berlin, Germany, Iceland, Mississippi, then Virginia.
oh shit..what part of VA? I live outside Richmond

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry if I made your vagina bleed in being critical of Woody.

no i'm not

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chesapeake and then Virginia Beach. Loved it there.
I was stationed at NOB in Norfolk then transferred to NSGA NW in Chesapeake. I enjoyed Chesapeake, i use to hit the funscape/movie theatre and mall all the time from 99-02... Small world man

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now I undertstand why you're so stupid. From Iowa and live in Nebraska. Only a moron (like yourself) would try to compare Woody and Pelini. Stupid is what you do. And you do a damn good job of it. Your all around stupidity was summed up by this- if Pelini had Woody's coaching acumen. Keep on keepin' on you cornhole.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I undertstand why you're so stupid. From Iowa and live in Nebraska. Only a moron (like yourself) would try to compare Woody and Pelini. Stupid is what you do. And you do a damn good job of it. Your all around stupidity was summed up by this- if Pelini had Woody's coaching acumen. Keep on keepin' on you cornhole.

The dumb fucker is you.

You clearly comprehend nothing and latch onto anything critical of the madman known as Woody Hayes.

I highly doubt that anybody else (that's not a Ohio fan) misunderstands my point.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was stationed at NOB in Norfolk then transferred to NSGA NW in Chesapeake. I enjoyed Chesapeake, i use to hit the funscape/movie theatre and mall all the time from 99-02... Small world man

It's a beautiful state that's got pretty much everything one could want from nature in just a few hours drive.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In recent years, you are correct. But, in the first 20 years of this century, we have one natty, and one runner up. Not too bad.