• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gortat

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Washington Wizards, trying to strengthen their hand for a playoff push in the Eastern Conference, have acquired center Marcin Gortat from the Phoenix Suns, sources close to the talks told ESPN.

Sources said the deal sends Gortat and guards Shannon Brown, Malcolm Lee and Kendall Marshall to the Wizards for the expiring contract of veteran big man Emeka Okafor and a protected 2014 first-round pick (to No. 12).

The 6-foot-11 Gortat, 29, averaged 11.1 points and 8.5 rebounds per game last season for the Suns.

Washington Wizards reach deal for Marcin Gortat, Shannon Brown, Kendall Marshall and Malcolm Lee for Washington Wizards' Emeka Okafor, pick - ESPN

Wow nice deal for the Wizards - obviously the Suns are trying to tank as well

Last edited by a moderator:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns definitely look to be tanking. I think they now have something like 4 first rounders in the 2014 draft.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this move for the Wizards, add a nice scoring Center in Gortat to an improving backcourt with Wall and Beal. This team will make the playoffs this year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a nice deal at all for the Wizards.

They give up a first round pick in a loaded 2014 class, basically to get rid of Okafor, who has value as an expiring contract. No player they are getting in return is anything more than a role player. This deal may help the Wizards get a 6 or 7 seed in the East, but unless Beal turns into a superstar, they are destined to be mediocre for the foreseeable future.

Great deal for the Suns as it gives them a chance at a full rebuild starting next season.

This is the same conceptual trade that the Wizards have made time and again over the past 20 years that has ensured that the franchise will never contend. Here are some of the lowlights:

Chris Webber for Mitch Richmond
Rasheed Wallace for Rod Strickland
Richard Hamilton for Jerry Stackhouse

Don't give up young talent for aging vets unless you are close to winning. The Wizards are not. That first round pick could return a nice piece and Okafor's expiring contract could allow them to sign a FA a lot better than Gortat.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade looks good now but agree with Tlance that this trade doesn't help the team for the future. It reminds me of Daniel Snyders first 5 years with the Skins trading away draft picks for aging veterans. Lets hope it turns out better for the Wizards.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gortat is decent but he'll leave you frustrated at times with how soft he can be offensively. Dude gets pushed around way too easily and has no post game really. Solid rebounder and shot blocker, though.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gortat is decent but he'll leave you frustrated at times with how soft he can be offensively. Dude gets pushed around way too easily and has no post game really. Solid rebounder and shot blocker, though.

Misses 30 lay ups. Unless Wall can spoon feed him like Nash.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade looks good now but agree with Tlance that this trade doesn't help the team for the future. It reminds me of Daniel Snyders first 5 years with the Skins trading away draft picks for aging veterans. Lets hope it turns out better for the Wizards.

We will have enough cap space to offer a max free agent contract next season in 2014. Its possible that they will target Greg Monroe and offer him a max deal. Wall, Beal, Porter and Monroe would be crazy.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gortat has exceeded my wildest expectation so far. Really enjoy the chemistry they show on and off the court also.

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]408976839760044032[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been a really nice addition to this team so far.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been a really nice addition to this team so far.

The price we paid was too high. Gortat is a below average starter and not a core piece to a contending team, unless he is your third post player.

Phoenix fans are smiling right now.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price we paid was too high. Gortat is a below average starter and not a core piece to a contending team, unless he is your third post player.

Phoenix fans are smiling right now.

I think the Gortat effect can be seen in Booker production. He immediately had an impact on team chemistry and has these younger players playing pro ball for the first time in their careers.

We have a bench full of first round picks who've never contributed in their careers & if Gortat can get them to start being productive then now is not the time to start being conservative.

Not to mention Mek still has not returned to the Suns from his injury last I heard. A move had to be made.

This is from last month ... but still illustrates the impact Gortat is having.
BbZoopvCMAA_NxN.jpg

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gortat with a career-best 31 pts and 12 rebounds in the 3OT victory in Toronto.

"Obviously we're missing Nene," Gortat said. "He was our big spark in the starting lineup, but we've got to play without him for the next few weeks. Each one of us has got to step up."

Tired and sore, Gortat said he didn't plan to step up when the Wizards hold practice on Saturday.

"I'm going to pull my veteran wild card tomorrow, I want a day off," he said. "I just can't go. I played 51 minutes and I'm barely standing right now."

:laugh:

Hope he was able to rebound off-the-court.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18 rebounds for the big man (10 in the 1st quarter alone) in the Wiz loss @ the Heat.

He's scored a double-double in 8 of the last 11 games.

I am really really not used to the Wiz having a viable Center on the floor.. lol. Been a while.