• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodbye Decker?

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker might not be a Denver Broncos wide receiver much longer. Decker will hit the free-agent market on March 11 unless the Broncos lock him up before then, but that doesn't sound like something that's going to happen.
In an interview with SiriusXM NFL radio on Tuesday, Decker said he wants to stay in Denver, but taking care of his family comes first. "I would like to figure something out and stay here," Decker said. "But at the same time, my priority is taking care of my family. Me and my wife are having a kid mid-March and it's even more difficult because I want to have her be comfortable. Those are kind of the added stresses to this process."

Broncos WR Eric Decker: My priority is taking care of my family - CBSSports.com

Well, sounds more and more like Decker won't be joining us for the 2014 championship drive. Hard to see such a good WR leave, but, you know, he has to take care of his family first after all :lame:

Sounds like he's looking for all the money he can get, which I don't have a problem with normally. But please, quit with the "gotta care for my family" crap. It rings hollow to fans who care for their own families on a heck of a lot less than what Decker currently makes. If you're looking to be paid, at least have the gaul to admit that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will definitely miss him. Definitely not impressed with his words over the last couple of days. I really could care less if he goes after the biggest contract possible. Just to me if you say it isn't all about the money but then go into the market and take the biggest deal offered to you it just doesn't sit well with me. I like that for Seattle Bennett said "This isn't Costco" or whatever he said. At least he is speaking the truth. Give us fans some credit.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will definitely miss him. Definitely not impressed with his words over the last couple of days. I really could care less if he goes after the biggest contract possible. Just to me if you say it isn't all about the money but then go into the market and take the biggest deal offered to you it just doesn't sit well with me. I like that for Seattle Bennett said "This isn't Costco" or whatever he said. At least he is speaking the truth. Give us fans some credit.

I hate when players make it sound like they're "just scraping by" w/out that big contract, and Decker's interview definitely hits me the same way.

As for Seattle, they're going to lose a little talent on that defense. Will be interesting to see how they replace it. And Bennett gets extra points for using Costco as a reference, which is based near Seattle...ha!

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate when players make it sound like they're "just scraping by" w/out that big contract, and Decker's interview definitely hits me the same way.

As for Seattle, they're going to lose a little talent on that defense. Will be interesting to see how they replace it.

Bennett did a lot more than people realize for that defense. As much credit as that secondary get's it was the pass rush that helped put them over the top this season and in that Super Bowl is what made them look so good on defense. I had a guy break down the film to show the Broncos actually had receivers running open down the field but because the pass rush was getting to Manning so quickly he didn't have his usual time to look for the open receiver. There were about 3 plays there was nobody within 10 yards of a receiver just waiting down field but Manning just never quite had the time.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I`am not so sure Decker sees a big market out there for him as he might think. I think he`ll find out he`a "good" commodity, not a great one, when teams start putting offers on the table. If he leaves Denver, I don`t think it will be much more than what Denver will offer, if they do anyway.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure someone will over pay for him. For us he is a #2 but some need may use him for a #1. If you asked me if Stafford was a 20 mil QB I would say no but someone paid him.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that he'll get a deal a bit higher than Mike Wallace or Vincent Jackson got, simply because of another year or two mark up value. I'd say it's be something like 5 years $63 million.......10-15 guaranteed.

Somebody is gonna overpay, and if they don't already have a strong receive corp in place, then they could be looking at production similar to what Mike Wallace put up in Miami. Vincent Jackson is just a beast, and worth every penny Tampa shelled out.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also said in the same XM radio interview he would be willing to take a bit of a home town discount.

Perception, I guess.

The only thing that for certain is we will not have enough cap space to sign every free Agent even at average salaries.

There will be some tough choices.

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also said in the same XM radio interview he would be willing to take a bit of a home town discount.

Perception, I guess.

The only thing that for certain is we will not have enough cap space to sign every free Agent even at average salaries.

There will be some tough choices.

Especially next year, these guys are all free agents next year:
DT, Julius Thomas, Von, Orlando Franklin, Welker, Tamme, Knighton, Vickerson, Champ, Rahim Moore, Nate Irving and a few others.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially next year, these guys are all free agents next year:
DT, Julius Thomas, Von, Orlando Franklin, Welker, Tamme, Knighton, Vickerson, Champ, Rahim Moore, Nate Irving and a few others.

There`s a good chance that 5 of the above mentioned names won`t be around come next yr

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some pretty compelling reasons to keep Decker listed in this article. If he indeed will take the hometown discount, I hope they find a way to sign him. The defense needs help, but it is critical to keep this offense intact in my opinion.

Dissolving The Decker Dilemma in Denver | Bronco Planet

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some pretty compelling reasons to keep Decker listed in this article. If he indeed will take the hometown discount, I hope they find a way to sign him. The defense needs help, but it is critical to keep this offense intact in my opinion.

Dissolving The Decker Dilemma in Denver | Bronco Planet

I think this guy seriously overestimates Decker's importance to the Broncos. And I think he'd be easier to replace than this author thinks. Keep Decker at the right price for the long term future of the team, but don't overpay him just to keep the offense intact.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Decker will find the market cooler then he expects. I'm guessing $6,000,000 should be about right. Just had a discussion on the Pats board about him.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this guy seriously overestimates Decker's importance to the Broncos. And I think he'd be easier to replace than this author thinks. Keep Decker at the right price for the long term future of the team, but don't overpay him just to keep the offense intact.

Seriously overestimates?

I have to respectfully disagree. His value is slightly inflated because Manning is throwing him the ball, but he has the production and size that makes him a #1 on over half the teams in the league.

That 4 TD game against the Chiefs was a statement. He stepped up big time in a high pressure game against a division rival.

I think $6 million is about right. His agent will want more but I guess we will see how much of a hometown discount he is willing to take.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked if somebody signed him at $6 mil per year. His numbers over the last two seasons (on paper) are the kind that demand upper tier money. Now, obviously there are more things that go into consideration beside just numbers when it comes to contract offers, but the production is absolutely there and that's gonna hold most of the weight. The way players get overpaid these days I wouldn't be surprised to see him get more. Just my opinion.

At $6 mil per would you guys want to see Denver offer up a contract? I guess I was just thinking he'd surely demand closer to $10 per year, so I was thinking that'd be way outta the realm of possibility for Denver.....if they wanted to keep some other FA's around. If he'd do the "hometown discount" for $6 mil per that'd be tough to pass up. He's absolutely a solid #2, one of the best in the league, and a nice compliment to DT.