• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good news on the QB front?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manuel is probably the best quarterback Rex Ryan has ever had

which sounds ridiculous until you realize the competition for that is Geno Smith, Pick 6 Sanchez, and a hollow shell of Michael Vick

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The exciting thing I suppose is that it's not unrealistic to think EJ Manuel could be as "good" as Mark Sanchez was with the Jets when Rex took them to those two AFC championship games. Matt Cassell is a veteran that could "rise" to that level as well.

I guess the other side of the coin is there is no way anybody they have now has the potential to be anything but average, but that may be all they need. Not going to win a SB that way, but this is the Bills...making the playoffs would be a success.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd welcome Johnny with open arms! Tebow even!

Really hope the Chargers move to L.A. Rivers would be great! Too bad it couldn't be done now.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to admit it, but bringing Cassel in was a smart move... at least. He is by far, our best chance to win....which I hate.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Taylor sure is interesting. Don't think he could last a whole season, but he can move chains.

Be nice to have Case's head, EJ's arm and Taylor's legs in one QB. We'd have our own Cam Newton!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see Taylor get some first team snaps in one of these games. Sounded like he was the most impressive looking QB yesterday? (Didn't see it)

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched it. He's very fast. He's not as bad as I expected throwing it either.

He's starting against the Browns next week.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Taylor looked competent and EJ, against Browns backups, looked okay. Rex has a tough decision on his hands.

Can't help but think of Seattle when I think of how the Bills allegedly stack up. Elite Defense, Elite Running Game (well, before everyone got injured), Above Average WRs...and you need a system QB to not make mistakes, run the ball, and complete basic passes when needed (aka Russell Wilson). Is that Taylor? That's my Bills Kool-Aid post for the ENTIRE YEAR!!!

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I thought. Russell Wilson.

I'm so happy I won't have to cheer for Matt Cassel.

Let's get healthy boys!

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still drooling over Mettenberger.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think EJ was impressive in his playing time. So was TT I say you cut Cassell give the job to TT have EJ as primary back up and Simms as third stringer.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rex has a tough call to make. I like keeping 3 QBs. Who should get the nod?

I'm torn between Taylor or Cassel. I like the idea of Taylor, but he's so inexperienced. I do think he has the highest ceiling though and provides the potential to have the most impact at the position.

But Cassel would be the conservative, safe Vet choice to minimize mistakes and game manage if they think that is all they need. Most coaches might go this route having just dealt with Geno Smith, but this is Sexy Rexy...

EJ was great yesterday, but he kind of falls into the middle on both theories IMO.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you say Cassel and safe in the same sentence? Cassel is terrible. He can't throw more than 20 yards, which allows any defense to easily load the box and stop us. Every drive will be 3rd and 6. Cassel and his 4 yard passes? NO THANKS!

Taylor is so far and beyond Cassel it's not funny. He throws better, he thinks better, he's more confident and his leadership has been praised this preseason. Oh yeah, and that other thing..... speed and an effect on the defense Taylor provides. Not even close.

How can you say Cassel? EJ has outplayed Cassel. EJ!

I am actually excited now, thanks to Taylor.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was excited to see the trade for Tyrod earlier this year knowing that he'll finally have his shot. He was a great leader at VT and better person. Even if he doesn't get the starting nod, you'll have a true teammate that will be ready to lead once his number is called.

If I were to make the call, I'd go Taylor, Manuel and then Cassel (if you keep 3 QBs).

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kind of what I meant by safe...he can game manage, make accurate short passes, etc. He's experienced. By "safe" I meant you pretty know what you are going to get, which is a below average NFL QB. That's nothing to write home about, but if you believe they have an elite Defense, running game and solid WR corps...you just have to avoid totally sucking at QB.

Taylor is a huge question mark. He's looked fantastic in preseason. He literally has no REAL experience. The list of guys that looked great in preseason but never amounted to much when it counted is very long. I agree in being excited about his potential though, and to be honest, he's probably who I'd pick to start. Why not give him a shot? I think he's earned it.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TAYLOR it is...apparently. Reports just coming out.

The question now is...how long of a leash do they give him? Hopefully, they won't need one.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember if I said it in this forum or in the NFL general, but I told some Bills fans somewhere Tyrod would have a legit shot at the job back earlier this year. Very happy to see him get it. He's got the most upside out of all the other options and since he's sat behind Flacco and studied the game as a back up, I think he's mature enough to know not to force things like a younger inexperienced QB would. And like Cobrabit said, he's a great guy. Even if he doesn't light the world on fire for you guys, he's a positive influence for the team and community.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that he has more upside as a passer than EJ, and his frame may not hold up if he's going to be running a lot and taking hits.

So they cut Cassel only to bring him back cheaper. That's fine, but I'd rather have EJ as the #2 so that he can at least get some reps each week to continue to develop.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Bills fans, aren't we unable with a straight face to talk about how great it is to have a high character guy for the community? It's an irrelevant factor. This team ditched Fred, and signed Incognito, Ik (briefly), Percy, etc. We have been playoff-starved for so long I'd rather have a notorious cheater like Tom Brady than a good guy like Taylor.

And saying Taylor has the most upside....is that true or more akin to saying he's the only unknown quantity to sky is the limit? He looked interesting in preseason, no doubt, but haven't seen enough of him when it counts to judge his upside.

It's sink or swim for Tyrod. First three weeks are brutal and already have two divisional games. No pressure :)