• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gonna Be a Slow Start to This Season

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My arthritic hip got so bad last summer that I could barely walk the course by summer's end.

Met with the doc yesterday and now I'm scheduled for hip replacement surgery on 4/9.

Doc said that I'll be playing by June. I'm scared shitless over the whole thing but I have no choice. I'm in constant pain now and by the afternoon, I'm straight-out limping.

Chose that date 'cause it's the week before our spring break so I'll only miss a week of school. Apparently, you're up and walking with a cane in a week.

Maybe being the bionic man will shave some strokes!

uncemented-replacement-hip-joint.jpeg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...iirc you have me (56) by a few yrs but it seems early for a hip replacement. It sounds like you're in a good hands.

I had a former neighbor that got a knee replacement before he retired...solely to keep playing golf...daily functions he could do with pain management, so he waited almost 5 yrs (until he was 67) to have the surgery because he said they last about 15 yrs and he would take it to the grave most likely.

Be well, keep us posted on your progress.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

Yeah I'm 58 but shit, they last 20+years and with all the fuckin' cancer in my family I hope I have the problem of needing it re-done!

If I don't have it done, I'll need to quit golf...walking anyway. I also took a ride on my Harley last week and that was painful.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

Yeah I'm 58 but shit, they last 20+years and with all the fuckin' cancer in my family I hope I have the problem of needing it re-done!

If I don't have it done, I'll need to quit golf...walking anyway. I also took a ride on my Harley last week and that was painful.

I would be the same way...The game offers so more much than a score a card... would hate to give it up on any level.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bummer is missing half the season on my membership.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck OP and rehab hard after your surgery.

I’m rehabbing both my shoulders right now and scared shitless if I’ll be able to play that much this year? I’ve battled shoulder issues since I was 18. Always played through the pain but now it’s to the point it’s getting debilitating. Got down to a + handicap for the first time in my life last year trying to get back into amateur circuit golf. So excited to keep it going working on my game and now it’s getting too painful to play. I’ve seen three orthopedic surgeons and keep getting inconsistent diagnosis. It’s frustrating as hell.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck OP and rehab hard after your surgery.

I’m rehabbing both my shoulders right now and scared shitless if I’ll be able to play that much this year? I’ve battled shoulder issues since I was 18. Always played through the pain but now it’s to the point it’s getting debilitating. Got down to a + handicap for the first time in my life last year trying to get back into amateur circuit golf. So excited to keep it going working on my game and now it’s getting too painful to play. I’ve seen three orthopedic surgeons and keep getting inconsistent diagnosis. It’s frustrating as hell.

Wow...sorry to hear that...has to be frustrating to have a game on that level and dealing with that kind of pain.

Wish you well man.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...sorry to hear that...has to be frustrating to have a game on that level and dealing with that kind of pain.

Wish you well man.

Thanks man. I've trained really hard the past three seasons to get where I'm at. Towards end of last summer it all started to come together and I got back down to scores in the 60's for the first time since I was 16-18 years old. I went to OSU for golf but couldn't pass the NCAA physical and declined surgery since they said there was a 50/50 chance I wouldn't be able to play at the level I was at. So I took several years off from playing competitively and practicing. Stayed a recreational player but got the itch to start playing competitively couple years back. So started training, linked up with my old swing coach and put in the work. I was really excited watching myself do things with the golf ball I never was able to do. My only goal is to make a US Am one day, that's the burning desire I have to accomplish. We host the qualifier every year at my home course. So this was going to be the year to start throwing myself in the qualifier. But through all the training I neglected working on my shoulders but an old problem reared it's ugly head. So for the first time I starting to take care of my body which is something I should've done a long time ago. My priority going forward will be staying in the gym doing the exercises and stretches I need to make everything stronger in the socket. I'm only 33, so I have a lot of good years left but need to take care of myself to prolong my golf life.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks man. I've trained really hard the past three seasons to get where I'm at. Towards end of last summer it all started to come together and I got back down to scores in the 60's for the first time since I was 16-18 years old. My priority going forward will be staying in the gym doing the exercises and stretches I need to make everything stronger in the socket. I'm only 33, so I have a lot of good years left but need to take care of myself to prolong my golf life.

The best I've ever played to was 8.3 index and that was a year I got to play twice a week sometimes more so I definitely know you were working hard at it on top of what seems like is some natural talent. Hopefully you can find the health that will allow you to continue to pursue it...who knows...in a 17 yrs, maybe you can give the Champions tour a try.

True story.

One of my golf buddies...his doctor's brother...James Mason, had a very good golf game, but never got much of a chance to pursue a career in golf...turned 50, turned pro and started Monday qualifying and lo and behold, he qualified for an event...Idk how many starts he got, but he did win a champions tour event.

You never know....hang in there.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol!

That's a little extreme!

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Handicap is my next question.

As I recover and begin to play mid summer, when do I begin to record scores? If I'm hobbled and shooting in the 90s, it wouldn't be fair to fluff up my number.

I left off as an 8.4 last season. I suppose when I get back into the low 80s would be the right time.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best I've ever played to was 8.3 index and that was a year I got to play twice a week sometimes more so I definitely know you were working hard at it on top of what seems like is some natural talent. Hopefully you can find the health that will allow you to continue to pursue it...who knows...in a 17 yrs, maybe you can give the Champions tour a try.

True story.

One of my golf buddies...his doctor's brother...James Mason, had a very good golf game, but never got much of a chance to pursue a career in golf...turned 50, turned pro and started Monday qualifying and lo and behold, he qualified for an event...Idk how many starts he got, but he did win a champions tour event.

You never know....hang in there.

Congrats on getting down to an 8 index at one point. Most my friends I play with at my club aren’t even that good. Golf is hard, like really hard. Takes so much patience to reach your best, and it can leave you in an instance. Guess we keep playing because I think deep down each golfer knows there’s room for improvement no matter how good you get.

I have no aspirations of ever playing a pro event but if I get to a US am it will turn into wanting to one day make it to match play. Think that would be really cool. I’ll keep you updated on my progress. Glad I found this forum and will probably always regret being an ass when I first responded to you. But something we’ll look back at and laugh time to time.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on getting down to an 8 index at one point. Most my friends I play with at my club aren’t even that good. Golf is hard, like really hard. Takes so much patience to reach your best, and it can leave you in an instance. Guess we keep playing because I think deep down each golfer knows there’s room for improvement no matter how good you get.

I have no aspirations of ever playing a pro event but if I get to a US am it will turn into wanting to one day make it to match play. Think that would be really cool. I’ll keep you updated on my progress. Glad I found this forum and will probably always regret being an ass when I first responded to you. But something we’ll look back at and laugh time to time.

Tell me about it...when the economy went south, I never really stopped playing altogether, but I needed to get my butt back to working a regular 9 to 5 so I took about 6-8 mos away from the game. Before I cut back, about 2 out of every 10 rounds I'd be in the high 70s, I came back as a once a week player and was struggling to break 90.

I'm not sure James Mason was really aspiring to be a pro. I know he used to be in a quite a few big money games at his club, but he had the means (I think his dr. brother footed the bills early on) and opportunity...caught lightning in a bottle.

Definitely keep us posted on your progress...US AM is huge!

No sweat...truly water under the bridge. Glad to have another golfer in here even if it was a rocky intro.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beautiful day here today and the course is open so I'll try to hobble around a few holes before they cut me on Tuesday morning. The pain's so bad these days that I'm looking forward to a different kind of pain. Bone rubbing on bone in the center of the hip is no joke.

If all goes smoothly, I should be pitching and putting in a few weeks and playing the course by late June. I guess masters week ain't a bad time to be laid up in front of the TV.

Fingers crossed.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beautiful day here today and the course is open so I'll try to hobble around a few holes before they cut me on Tuesday morning. The pain's so bad these days that I'm looking forward to a different kind of pain. Bone rubbing on bone in the center of the hip is no joke.

If all goes smoothly, I should be pitching and putting in a few weeks and playing the course by late June. I guess masters week ain't a bad time to be laid up in front of the TV.

Fingers crossed.
Best of luck, may the golf gods give you a speedy recovery.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks man.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of luck, may the golf gods give you a speedy recovery.

Speaking of golf gods...

I ended up playing alone this afternoon and went off #12. Nobody was playing so I had the place to myself. I was crushing my driver and I played three balls all the way into the hole though 13, 14...cut over to 16 fairway and then 17 and 18. Hit three great drives on 18 and followed with a 9 to the front, then a PW to 10 ft and then on my final swing of the spring season, I holed out a PW for an unofficial eagle! I'm going to feel it tonight and tomorrow but it was worth it.

...lookin' forward to July~