• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gonna be a long season hovering around .500

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree after thinking over it. All I can think is that the minors need added strength and they couldn't get anymore interest in Pham.

Myles, You're probably right but what I don't understand is the Cardinals supposedly are stacked with minor league pitching and with this trade we just added two more minor league pitchers that are not that highly rated.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now they are making things interesting. They have won 8/10 and 5 in a row. They are 2.5 games out of the final wild card spot. They have a tough schedule left, but at least they are giving fans a reason to cheer (besides Carpenter being a HR machine).

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now they are making things interesting. They have won 8/10 and 5 in a row. They are 2.5 games out of the final wild card spot. They have a tough schedule left, but at least they are giving fans a reason to cheer (besides Carpenter being a HR machine).

Myles, I know you are hoping as much as I am that you will be wrong about the Cardinals playing just .500 baseball for the season. How can Mike Shildt not be considered as the permanent manager for the Cardinals with what he has done with this team since he took over with a record of 16-9 and winning 5 series in a row?

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to wait till the end of the year to decide. They could just be riding a wave. If momentum continues through September then maybe there is something to it.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to wait till the end of the year to decide. They could just be riding a wave. If momentum continues through September then maybe there is something to it.

Myles, I agree with you and I feel pretty sure the Cardinals will wait until the offseason to put their permanent manager in place. Shildt might fall on his face before this season is over and you might still be right about the Cardinals finishing at around .500 but I sure am enjoying this ride while it lasts.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen enough to know that Matheny was the problem.

If the Cardinals make the playoffs, Shildt earns the Manager job no questions asked imo.

Outside of that, the managers spot is more nuanced but we'll know by the end of the season as we'll all be micromanaging his every move.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Cardinals make the playoffs, Shildt earns the Manager job no questions asked imo.

Outside of that, the managers spot is more nuanced but we'll know by the end of the season as we'll all be micromanaging his every move.

Clayton, I agree with you completely! September baseball should be interesting!

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't.
They have been playing energized for certain. If they fall back to Earth and finish a few games over .500, I'll still feel that it was more the talent level of the team.
I think Methany may have been the problem of sorts though. More of a complacent or contentment type of thing.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't.
They have been playing energized for certain. If they fall back to Earth and finish a few games over .500, I'll still feel that it was more the talent level of the team.
I think Methany may have been the problem of sorts though. More of a complacent or contentment type of thing.
Oh, I'm not saying that the talent level right now is up with Boston or Houston or anything like that. I do think Matheny was having a lot of issues getting anything out of the talent that is there now.

The Cardinals are streaking right now. STL Blues got their coach in a similar fashion. Finished the season 22-8 and made the playoffs that year. He had some major issues the next season, though.

I'm not going to make too much of what is going on now but I do think the Cardinals actually making the playoffs with this roster would be something of note. They'll hit a series or two where they are going to lose and then we'll see where the talent and coaching is at.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm not saying that the talent level right now is up with Boston or Houston or anything like that. I do think Matheny was having a lot of issues getting anything out of the talent that is there now.

The Cardinals are streaking right now. STL Blues got their coach in a similar fashion. Finished the season 22-8 and made the playoffs that year. He had some major issues the next season, though.

I'm not going to make too much of what is going on now but I do think the Cardinals actually making the playoffs with this roster would be something of note. They'll hit a series or two where they are going to lose and then we'll see where the talent and coaching is at.
It would be a great surprise to nearly all for them to make the playoffs this year.

Fowler going on the DL was a huge blessing. Since the team is paying him so much, I think they felt they needed to play him. Not good to have a starter batting a buck fifty in the lineup. The younger guys are taking advantage of it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a great surprise to nearly all for them to make the playoffs this year.

Fowler going on the DL was a huge blessing. Since the team is paying him so much, I think they felt they needed to play him. Not good to have a starter batting a buck fifty in the lineup. The younger guys are taking advantage of it.
Yup. I'm not a WAR person or anything but I'm sure Fowler being awful instead of good is the difference between a fringe playoff team and a .500 team. There is also the Greg Holland debacle and Carpenters awful start.

Just by changing those three things they've changed the culture. It'll be the little touches from Shildt for them to make the playoffs and there will be a lot of juggling. I think the expectation for him to outright win the job is for him to coach the team into the playoffs. I might sound like an entitled Cardinals fan but we've seen some non-coaching related issues happen to the Cards this year that acted like a big ol' anchor.

If the Royals want to take their chances with Matheny, they can go right ahead. I honestly dont see what he was bringing to the table in St Louis.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Myles
@Clayton

Come on guys, are we Cardinals fans or not? I know that both of you guys are trying to be realistic, and I am too, but let's all be optimistic right now and cheer our redbirds on because we are now in a playoff race that none of us would have given two cents for before Matheny was fired. If we fail we can talk about the 'what ifs' when the season is over but right now let's all enjoy the ride!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cool part about the Cards streak right now is that the Cardinals are rebuilding and competing at the same time.

I think I read that the Cards are 2nd in MLB in .AVG since Matheny stepped down. With Bader and Wong in the lineup they can manufacture runs out of nothing with a little speed which is nice. If Carpenter and Molina can defy the odds and hold up down the stretch then I think we can make some noise.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cool part about the Cards streak right now is that the Cardinals are rebuilding and competing at the same time.

I think I read that the Cards are 2nd in MLB in .AVG since Matheny stepped down. With Bader and Wong in the lineup they can manufacture runs out of nothing with a little speed which is nice. If Carpenter and Molina can defy the odds and hold up down the stretch then I think we can make some noise.
Yes, it is awesome to be in the playoff hunt while we were sellers at the trade deadline. Hopefully it can help us attract a free agent or 2 during the off season.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is awesome to be in the playoff hunt while we were sellers at the trade deadline. Hopefully it can help us attract a free agent or 2 during the off season.

Myles, This is an awesome feeling to be in the playoff hunt. The energy is obvious with our Cardinals believing in themselves and playing for each other. My main concern remains relief pitching and no closer that we can depend on in close games but so far during this winning streak we have been scoring enough runs that this hasn't been a major factor.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton, You are correct, the Cards are 2nd in AVG. since Matheny was fired and it's because almost everyone in our lineup is hitting right now. Matheny never put base runners into motion much and now we are moving base runners in every game when the situation calls for it and it has been paying off. Our starting pitching has overachieved during this winning streak but our bullpen remains a big concern.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main concern remains relief pitching and no closer that we can depend on in close games but so far during this winning streak we have been scoring enough runs that this hasn't been a major factor.
It looks like Carlos Martinez may solidify the bullpen for the remainder of this season. Maybe Wainwright too.

Here's tonights starting lineup. I'm not too confident in Weaver.
1. Matt Carpenter, 1B

2. Yadier Molina, C

3. Tyler O'Neill, RF

4. Marcell Ozuna, LF

5. Paul DeJong, SS

6. Kolten Wong, 2B

7. Harrison Bader, CF

8. Greg Garcia, 3B

9. Luke Weaver, P

C. Martinez to make rehab appearances; Carpenter in lineup after HBP

Carlos Martinez will head to AA Springfield for rehab appearances Friday and Sunday, manager Mike Shildt said. The pitcher could return to the Cardinals as early as next Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Martinez is on the disabled list with a right shoulder strain. He's worked as a starter this season, but the Cardinals will use him as a reliever when he is ready for big-league action. Putting Martinez in a bullpen role allows the team to bring him back sooner than if he had to build back up as a starter.

Adam Wainwright makes a rehab start tonight for High-A Palm Beach. He's scheduled to throw two innings. The Cardinals will evaluate Wainwright's situation after he throws. Shildt said the team hasn't decided whether or not to bring Wainwright back as a starter or reliever.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Carlos Martinez may solidify the bullpen for the remainder of this season. Maybe Wainwright too.

Here's tonights starting lineup. I'm not too confident in Weaver.
1. Matt Carpenter, 1B

2. Yadier Molina, C

3. Tyler O'Neill, RF

4. Marcell Ozuna, LF

5. Paul DeJong, SS

6. Kolten Wong, 2B

7. Harrison Bader, CF

8. Greg Garcia, 3B

9. Luke Weaver, P

C. Martinez to make rehab appearances; Carpenter in lineup after HBP

Carlos Martinez will head to AA Springfield for rehab appearances Friday and Sunday, manager Mike Shildt said. The pitcher could return to the Cardinals as early as next Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Martinez is on the disabled list with a right shoulder strain. He's worked as a starter this season, but the Cardinals will use him as a reliever when he is ready for big-league action. Putting Martinez in a bullpen role allows the team to bring him back sooner than if he had to build back up as a starter.

Adam Wainwright makes a rehab start tonight for High-A Palm Beach. He's scheduled to throw two innings. The Cardinals will evaluate Wainwright's situation after he throws. Shildt said the team hasn't decided whether or not to bring Wainwright back as a starter or reliever.

Myles, Thank you for this information. Like you, I'm not too confident in Weaver but the rest of the starting lineup looks just fine to me. In case you're not aware of it tonight's game starts one hour earlier than usual. GO REDBIRDS!

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myles, Thank you for this information. Like you, I'm not too confident in Weaver but the rest of the starting lineup looks just fine to me. In case you're not aware of it tonight's game starts one hour earlier than usual. GO REDBIRDS!
Sometimes is sucks to be right.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes is sucks to be right.
Yeah, but if the defense is better than maybe the Cards win that one.

If we're talking about a contending team then the defense is definitely going to be the biggest issue down the stretch (assuming everyone stays healthy).