• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gonna be a long season hovering around .500

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm afraid you are correct. Kind of a bummer. I just think this team is more than 1 player away from being a major threat. It'd be nice to sit back and develop for next year.
Not playoff caliber in Quality Starts, Fielding, K to BB ratio and OPS and thats before looking at the bullpen.

An interesting contrast to what the Cards are going is happening over in KC. They've completely given up. I was arguing the Cards should've done that last year but they're still straddling the middle.

The Cardinals were able to get away with a ton when they had Pujols, Holliday, Carpenter and/or Wainwright. When you don't have any of those guys then the Cardinals way is just a .500 team

Its all about developing the young players right now imo

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matheny is gone now. Not really surprising.
I don't blame Matheny for where the Cardinals are. They just don't have the roster to do much better. I don't want to see them give up a bunch for a 1 year rental at the trade deadline. Maybe this is the year they should be "sellers".

I haven’t followed the Cards much since Pujols went to Anaheim. Just think since 2011 it’s been a steady downhill for the team, while the owner made a shit load of money and still is.

Moz is the issue as well. Give Dexter Fowler that much money? And the pitching staff isn’t really competitive at all.

Matheny over achieved with the youngsters he had. How’s a guy going to win with that team? Wish Yadi had a better cast around him before he’s done.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t followed the Cards much since Pujols went to Anaheim. Just think since 2011 it’s been a steady downhill for the team, while the owner made a shit load of money and still is.

Moz is the issue as well. Give Dexter Fowler that much money? And the pitching staff isn’t really competitive at all.

Matheny over achieved with the youngsters he had. How’s a guy going to win with that team? Wish Yadi had a better cast around him before he’s done.

To all the Cardinals fans who have made the last few posts, I feel our pain!

I certainly don't have the answers on how to right our ship but I do know this, I will continue to cheer for our redbirds each and every time they play, never giving up on them until they are mathematically eliminated in any given season.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Matheny was a pretty good coach/manager. They just don't have the talent on the roster. Pham may be there best player currently (maybe Molina). Pham spent 8-9 years in the minors before being called up.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I certainly don't have the answers on how to right our ship but I do know this, I will continue to cheer for our redbirds each and every time they play, never giving up on them until they are mathematically eliminated in any given season.

DeWitt is and has been banking on that. True baseball fans and Cards fans

He’s got his 2 rings

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm with you. Go Cards. I'll be rooting for them even after they are eliminated from the post season. It is nice that with baseball, the draft position means so little that there is no reason to root for your team to lose. In the NFL, if you are 6-9, losing that last game could mean going from the 13th pick to the 6th pick which could help your team tremendously. Not so much in baseball, so we get to root for them all year.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you. Go Cards. I'll be rooting for them even after they are eliminated from the post season. It is nice that with baseball, the draft position means so little that there is no reason to root for your team to lose. In the NFL, if you are 6-9, losing that last game could mean going from the 13th pick to the 6th pick which could help your team tremendously. Not so much in baseball, so we get to root for them all year.

Myles, That's what I want to hear! I have never understood fair weather fans who look for another team to cheer for because the team they were cheering for goes into a bad cycle. All teams go through bad cycles at some point! St. Louis has always been a baseball town and even with the woes the Cardinals are experiencing right now Busch Stadium continues to have 40,000+ fannys in the seats for almost every home game so I'd say our fans are pretty loyal.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it was a pretty good 5 game series with the Cubs and a few of the games were on TV for me to watch, I was bummed that we lost the series 2-3. That was the post all star break series we needed for momentum. I still don't want to think we are a .500 team even though I believe we are.
I haven't really dissected the contracts of our "trade-able" players. It'd be great to unload Fowler, but no one will take him. Carpenter has some value. He's been hot lately. Even though he bats lead-off, it tells you something about the team when a guy can have 25 home runs and 30 doubles but only 53 RBI.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it was a pretty good 5 game series with the Cubs and a few of the games were on TV for me to watch, I was bummed that we lost the series 2-3. That was the post all star break series we needed for momentum. I still don't want to think we are a .500 team even though I believe we are.
I haven't really dissected the contracts of our "trade-able" players. It'd be great to unload Fowler, but no one will take him. Carpenter has some value. He's been hot lately. Even though he bats lead-off, it tells you something about the team when a guy can have 25 home runs and 30 doubles but only 53 RBI.

Myles, So what do you think the Cardinals will do, be buyers or sellers by the trading deadline? I guess this question could apply to all teams that are at or near .500

I was glued to that 5 game series with the Cubs too and of course disappointed like you were. I guess with the way we have been playing winning 2 out of 5 at Wrigley was about all we could hope for but I agree with you, we needed to win that series for momentum.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they are sellers. Pham is gone to Tampa. Looks like they got some decent talent for him. Maybe not enough though.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they are sellers. Pham is gone to Tampa. Looks like they got some decent talent for him. Maybe not enough though.

Myles, Do you remember earlier this season when Pham briefly led the entire NL in hitting? That seems like light years ago because he really went downhill after that.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myles, Do you remember earlier this season when Pham briefly led the entire NL in hitting? That seems like light years ago because he really went downhill after that.
I do remember. He was doing very well.
It is a little sad because he spent allot of time getting to where he is. However, he is 30 years old, The club picked up 3 young prospects.
The 30-year-old Pham is hitting .248 with 14 home runs, 41 RBI and 10 stolen bases.

In 2017, Pham enjoyed a career year, hitting .306 with 23 homers, 73 RBI and 25 stolen bases as one of the most surprising players in Major League Baseball.
He is making just $570,100 this season and is arbitration-eligible for the next three campaigns.

MLB.com lists Williams as the Rays' No. 14 prospect and Cabrera as No. 25, while Ramirez is not listed.

Williams appeared in one game for Tampa this season, and at Triple-A he is hitting .258 with eight home runs and 46 RBI.

Cabrera is 7-6 with a 4.12 ERA as a Double-A starter, while Ramirez is 3-1 with a 2.53 ERA primarily as a reliever split between High-A and Double-A.

The Cardinals are four games out of a wild-card spot in the National League, while the Rays are 10 games out in the AL.

In Pham, the Rays are getting a controllable player who can be a key part of their lineup in the coming years.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals can give additional playing time to 24-year-old outfielder Harrison Bader to see if he can be a long-term starter.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MLB.com lists Williams as the Rays' No. 14 prospect and Cabrera as No. 25, while Ramirez is not listed.
Thats just an awful trade.

I guess I'm glad the Cardinals are sellers but thats not really a return.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do remember. He was doing very well.
It is a little sad because he spent allot of time getting to where he is. However, he is 30 years old, The club picked up 3 young prospects.
The 30-year-old Pham is hitting .248 with 14 home runs, 41 RBI and 10 stolen bases.

In 2017, Pham enjoyed a career year, hitting .306 with 23 homers, 73 RBI and 25 stolen bases as one of the most surprising players in Major League Baseball.
He is making just $570,100 this season and is arbitration-eligible for the next three campaigns.

Williams appeared in one game for Tampa this season, and at Triple-A he is hitting .258 with eight home runs and 46 RBI.

Cabrera is 7-6 with a 4.12 ERA as a Double-A starter, while Ramirez is 3-1 with a 2.53 ERA primarily as a reliever split between High-A and Double-A.

The Cardinals are four games out of a wild-card spot in the National League, while the Rays are 10 games out in the AL.

In Pham, the Rays are getting a controllable player who can be a key part of their lineup in the coming years.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals can give additional playing time to 24-year-old outfielder Harrison Bader to see if he can be a long-term starter.

Myles, Good post and you kept me from having to look up this information so thank you for that.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate being a negative Cardinals fan when the team is still average with some upside next year. Its just clear that they'll need to work in Free Agency or go into a fairly deep rebuild (which doesn't seem likely given some of the young pitching the Cardinals already have)

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton, I agree with you, I don't like the return that we got with this deal.

However, I have been wanting to see what Bader can do as an everyday player so I guess we will find out.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate being a negative Cardinals fan when the team is still average with some upside next year. Its just clear that they'll need to work in Free Agency or go into a fairly deep rebuild (which doesn't seem likely given some of the young pitching the Cardinals already have)

I agree!

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The more I think about it the more I don't like this trade.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it the more I don't like this trade.

Myles, I'm certainly not putting down your earlier thoughts but I just feel that if we were going to unload Pham we should have received a better return than what we got.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myles, I'm certainly not putting down your earlier thoughts but I just feel that if we were going to unload Pham we should have received a better return than what we got.
I tend to agree after thinking over it. All I can think is that the minors need added strength and they couldn't get anymore interest in Pham.