• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golf's 1st Major Champion of 2018

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats...Pernilla Linberg, from Sweden. She won the ANA Inspiration (the old Dinah Shore) in a Monday morning extended playoff with a birdie on the 6th playoff hole over Inbee Park.

Lindberg started the day with a 4 shot lead...at one point was trailing by at least 2 shots but kept fighting back and eventually got her round to -1 after 18 and that was good enough to get her into the 4 woman playoff.

I know LPGA is not big news, but this was a great story...Lindberg had been on tour for some time but really hadn't done much until this win...in fact she made more for winning that major than she's ever made in a season on tour.

Good for her.

www.lpga.com/news/2018-lindberg-wins-ana-inspiration

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I have to get back into watching it. Plus Korean girls are hot.

Kudos for getting Dinah Shore's name in there.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played the last playoff hole on Sunday practically in the dark. Couldn't believe they tried to play another hole.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played the last playoff hole on Sunday practically in the dark. Couldn't believe they tried to play another hole.

I was too, but it's up to the players....with flights, schedules etc. all planned no one wants to be the one to call it I guess.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I have to get back into watching it. Plus Korean girls are hot.

Kudos for getting Dinah Shore's name in there.

I saw about an hour of it, but I'm a fan of LPGA golf.

Yes, the field is a lot deeper than just Paul Creamer these days if you know what I mean...lol

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats...Pernilla Linberg, from Sweden. She won the ANA Inspiration (the old Dinah Shore) in a Monday morning extended playoff with a birdie on the 6th playoff hole over Inbee Park.

Lindberg started the day with a 4 shot lead...at one point was trailing by at least 2 shots but kept fighting back and eventually got her round to -1 after 18 and that was good enough to get her into the 4 woman playoff.

I know LPGA is not big news, but this was a great story...Lindberg had been on tour for some time but really hadn't done much until this win...in fact she made more for winning that major than she's ever made in a season on tour.

Good for her.

www.lpga.com/news/2018-lindberg-wins-ana-inspiration
I just can't count anything in Women's golf as a Major. Its bush league golf for one with tournaments that are able to buy or threaten their way into being Majors. I think they are up to 5 or 6 Majors now on the LPGA.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't count anything in Women's golf as a Major. Its bush league golf for one with tournaments that are able to buy or threaten their way into being Majors. I think they are up to 5 or 6 Majors now on the LPGA.

There's 5... like men's golf if you add The Players.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's 5... like men's golf if you add The Players.
The Players does not threaten to pull its sponsorship if the PGA does not make it a Major like they do in the Bush league LPGA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately the LPGAT doesn't have the large TV package money so sponsorship cash goes a long way. I do agree that "major" is minimized when you have 5 or 6 of them and only 35 or so total events. But the Old Dinah Shore qualifies...sadly they needed the sponsorship cash. The Womens USO will probably be the only one to not have a sponsor soon.

That in itself doesn't make the tour bush league imo....but I get your point.

IMO, the Sr Tour whatever they call the no-cut tour now...that's a farce as a professional golf tour goes. As a consumer based exhibition tour...it's not bad entertainment.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately the LPGAT doesn't have the large TV package money so sponsorship cash goes a long way. I do agree that "major" is minimized when you have 5 or 6 of them and only 35 or so total events. But the Old Dinah Shore qualifies...sadly they needed the sponsorship cash. The Womens USO will probably be the only one to not have a sponsor soon.

That in itself doesn't make the tour bush league imo....but I get your point.

IMO, the Sr Tour whatever they call the no-cut tour now...that's a farce as a professional golf tour goes. As a consumer based exhibition tour...it's not bad entertainment.
Agreed. I used to enjoy it when the greats first got there like Nicklaus, Trevino and Player but its become a farce

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I used to enjoy it when the greats first got there like Nicklaus, Trevino and Player but its become a farce

For me, the entertainment is actually not bad...these old guys can still play, but with no cut, I just don't buy it much as a pro tour.

I was a volunteer once with my brother-n-law for the Liberty Mutual when they played it at the World Golf HOF...Slammer and Squire course....we got to play the course twice the Monday & Tues after the round so the conditions were very much like the tournament...it was nice, but the greens were not much faster than a nice course I'd play at home...rough, was not much of a factor.

Much like LPGA setups, the course was setup for them to score. I still can't score it like they do of course, but you would think the course would be set up harder for touring pros.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, the entertainment is actually not bad...these old guys can still play, but with no cut, I just don't buy it much as a pro tour.

I was a volunteer once with my brother-n-law for the Liberty Mutual when they played it at the World Golf HOF...Slammer and Squire course....we got to play the course twice the Monday & Tues after the round so the conditions were very much like the tournament...it was nice, but the greens were not much faster than a nice course I'd play at home...rough, was not much of a factor.

Much like LPGA setups, the course was setup for them to score. I still can't score it like they do of course, but you would think the course would be set up harder for touring pros.
Agreed. Its for entertainment so I suppose they should set it up like that. No one wants to see pros struggling for pars. To me, that's why the U.S. Open is boring. Not enough birdies.
Look at the Masters, they purposely set up the back nine on Sunday to promote a lot of eagle and birdie opportunities and it never disappoints. That tournament is always won or lost on the back nine on Sunday. Great drama

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I love the Masters!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Its for entertainment so I suppose they should set it up like that. No one wants to see pros struggling for pars. To me, that's why the U.S. Open is boring. Not enough birdies.
Look at the Masters, they purposely set up the back nine on Sunday to promote a lot of eagle and birdie opportunities and it never disappoints. That tournament is always won or lost on the back nine on Sunday. Great drama

Sr...I suppose you're right there. I speak ill of this tour mostly because there's no cut, it's like an ATM machine. This is my age group and I like seeing the old guys play as well, but I prefer watching the gals over these guys.

The Masters has been at the forefront of tournament innovation and the fan experience really since the beginning...blessed with a track that has plenty of built in defense, but if they grew the rough 3 inches, even par would be close to the winning score year in year out and it wouldn't be nearly the event that it is.

It's set up to test all facets of your game including creativity.

USO is still my second favorite major, even though I think the PGA is more exciting. I've grown to really appreciate Links golf, but the British or the Open as they like to call it as a TV event leaves something to be desired for me...it doesn't have the same draw as Breakfast At Wimbledon once did.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sr...I suppose you're right there. I speak ill of this tour mostly because there's no cut, it's like an ATM machine. This is my age group and I like seeing the old guys play as well, but I prefer watching the gals over these guys.

The Masters has been at the forefront of tournament innovation and the fan experience really since the beginning...blessed with a track that has plenty of built in defense, but if they grew the rough 3 inches, even par would be close to the winning score year in year out and it wouldn't be nearly the event that it is.

It's set up to test all facets of your game including creativity.

USO is still my second favorite major, even though I think the PGA is more exciting. I've grown to really appreciate Links golf, but the British or the Open as they like to call it as a TV event leaves something to be desired for me...it doesn't have the same draw as Breakfast At Wimbledon once did.
I rate the Majors as far as importance Like this:
1. Masters (by a mile)
2. U.S. Open (Just can't stand the USGA and their insistence on par being the winning score)
3. The British Open ( I refuse to call it "The Open")
4. The PGA (Only relevant because of the 10-year exemption that comes with the title)

I can't watch the LPGA except to admire some of the hot bodies.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Setting up another McElroy-Reed showdown tomorrow ala the Ryder Cup.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger and Phil look like they are ready for the Senior Tour.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Reed! How do you three putt there when you've just got the read from your opponent? That's the 5th 5 footer for par I've seen him miss in the last two days. All uphill putts too. Cannot do that.