• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golfer completes 10 rounds of golf in one day. Even made an ace!

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keen golfer bags hole-in-one while completing gruelling 10 rounds in one day

Golfer bags hole-in-one while completing gruelling 10 rounds in one day for Alzheimer's charity

A keen golfer blasted his way round his local course 10 times in a day for a gruelling charity challenge.

Taking 640 shots in total, Bryan Fotheringham carded six under par. And his best round score of 66 was over the last 18 holes.

The big hitter even managed a hole in one on his fourth round at Forres Golf Club in Moray.

Bryan, 40, admitted he was “running on adrenaline” on the last stretch but his efforts paid off, raising more than £4000 for Alzheimer Scotland.

BRYAN_FOTHERINGHAM_ALZHEIMER_GOLF_MARATHON_22_JUNE_2018__JA1_5935JPG.jpg

His dad Richard, a retired engineer, was diagnosed with vascular dementia two years ago.

Bryan said: “Everyday tasks are slowly being taken away from him which is the worst to see, so I’m doing this for a great charity.”

The golfer, who plays off a two handicap and has represented Scotland at amateur level, teed off at 3.30am on Friday and sank his final putt just after 9.30pm.

He said yesterday: “There were a couple of times I didn’t think I’d get there but I kept going. I’m in absolute agony.

“One round just merged into another and I didn’t realise what score I was shooting.

“I’m humbled by the support I received. My JustGiving page has gone crazy. I can’t thank people enough.”

Bryan, who teaches adults with learning difficulties, had been training in the gym for weeks ahead of the golf marathon.

He walked the whole way – about 40 miles – with a back-up team in a buggy carrying his clubs, food and drink.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming a typo by the reporter as 640 shots over 10 rounds is a average of 64 per round. How can his best round be a 66 then? Probably 740 shots which would be more realistic with his scores increasing throughout the day as he got tired.

I'm barely able to finish one round without feeling the drain and doubt I could finish two rounds, let alone 10. Hope he has a hot tub.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, just looked up the course and it's a par 70. If he was 6 under through all 10 rounds, he'd have a 694 score, which would make more sense in the context of his 66 round and a typo from the reporter.

Crazy how his best round was his last though.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, just looked up the course and it's a par 70. If he was 6 under through all 10 rounds, he'd have a 694 score, which would make more sense in the context of his 66 round and a typo from the reporter.

Crazy how his best round was his last though.

He was just warming up!

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very nice effort in support of a great cause.

Here's to Bryan Fotheringham :suds:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow - 40 miles of walking let alone the stress & physical effort of about 700 shots. I know people that bitch about even walking 9 holes. Good job by this guy for a good cause.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incredible effort, great cause.

I'm aching just reading the article!

We had a guy on a golf forum I visit every now and then wanted to know if this proposed golf trip was too much golf.

Day 1...Fly into ATL, drive to Opelika (RTJ in ALA) do 36 + the 18 hole par 3...drive to Montgomery

Day 2...36 in Prattville, drive to Birmingham

Day 3...54 in Birmingham, drive to Hoover

Day 4...18 in Hoover, drive to ATL

Fly home.

144 holes + the 18 hole par 3.

The guy is in his 30s, but OMG...we used to do 36,36,36 on a 4 day/3 night stay trip and I would get home and not want to see a golf club for a couple of weeks!

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody who says that golf isn't a sport should try to do 1/3'd of what this guy did today. I go 18 holes and I'm a wreck the next day. I walk and carry though.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We had a guy on a golf forum I visit every now and then wanted to know if this proposed golf trip was too much golf.

Day 1...Fly into ATL, drive to Opelika (RTJ in ALA) do 36 + the 18 hole par 3...drive to Montgomery

Fly home.

The guy is in his 30s, but OMG...we used to do 36,36,36 on a 4 day/3 night stay trip and I would get home and not want to see a golf club for a couple of weeks!

You walking or riding when you're doing that? One of the reasons I walk is I find the whole getting in and out of the cart disruptive to my rhythm.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once played 6 baseball games in one day. Caught 3 of them.

This guy is a pussy.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once played 6 baseball games in one day. Caught 3 of them.

This guy is a pussy.

LOL. Great effort by you (& sure the strain on your body as a catcher). However short of the occasional walk around the bases or trip to the mound to talk to pitcher - how much did you walk/run? 1/2 mile, mile? This guy walked almost 40 freaking miles. Forget the golf - just try to comprehend doing that in one day (even if you are just joking).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fly home.

That 3rd day sounds absolutely brutal. I hope that you had some fun along the way. One of the best parts of golf is discussing the round over a few beers at the 19th hole (or 37th or 55th hole in your case). Not sure I would want to be part of something that was soo dead serious.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Great effort by you (& sure the strain on your body as a catcher). However short of the occasional walk around the bases or trip to the mound to talk to pitcher - how much did you walk/run? 1/2 mile, mile? This guy walked almost 40 freaking miles. Forget the golf - just try to comprehend doing that in one day (even if you are just joking).

Yeah, that's rough. No doubt. I was mostly joking. Catching three games in a day was a SOB that I'll never forget, though.

I was playing a summer league travel tournament when I was in high school. The first two days got rained out and they basically crammed a double elimination tourney into one day. We fell into the losers bracket immediately and then kept winning... and wouldn't ya know? We won the whole damn thing after 6 f'n baseball games in one day. It was funny using an entire staff (rotation + bullpen) in one day as well. Hitters had a weeks worth of AB's.

When you're that age and with your friends. It's fun, though. I agree that the grind of walking 10 rounds of golf + playing from 3:30 AM to 9:30 PM is ridiculous.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You walking or riding when you're doing that? One of the reasons I walk is I find the whole getting in and out of the cart disruptive to my rhythm.

Were is the operative word there. I wouldn't consider 36 a day for 3 days anymore. About 5 yrs into it, we got a bit older (and wiser) we cut the tourney back to 54 holes + a practice round, instead of 72 + a practice round and we added an extra day to the trip.

To answer your question, we rode carts...most of these resort places require carts. I feel you on the rhythm part though. Today, I typically walk it in from my approach shot and to the next tee if it's not a mile away just to keep moving.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody who says that golf isn't a sport should try to do 1/3'd of what this guy did today. I go 18 holes and I'm a wreck the next day. I walk and carry though.

I walk & carry at the par 3. One of them is fairly flat...I can easily do all 18...the other one is more hilly, you feel it after 9 if you're carrying.

I'd like to find a course that actually allows walkers on the weekend...I'd doubt I would carry, but I wouldn't mind walking some tracks...the big problem here is the terrain, up and down hills would wear out most players before.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 3rd day sounds absolutely brutal. I hope that you had some fun along the way. One of the best parts of golf is discussing the round over a few beers at the 19th hole (or 37th or 55th hole in your case). Not sure I would want to be part of something that was soo dead serious.

Our travel trip (with that group ended in '14) after a 15 yr run. But you brought up some points that are so true about things that took some of the fun out of the trip for some players. Male egos, and such stood in the way of making it less about competition and more about comradery and having a good time. It was far too serious and I think that (and the sinking economy) ultimately led to us disbanding.

For instance...it was a scratch tourney and not every player was on the same playing level. It was stroke play with no mercy (we had a guy make a 17 on a hole enroute to a 144 score)...guy had never shot anything close to that score before so do you think he wanted to chat it up on the 19th hole very much?

The 36 a day really wasn't a problem though, we eventually turned that final 18 into a skins round and sometimes a matchplay round if the headcount worked out where everyone could have some fun.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our travel trip (with that group ended in '14) after a 15 yr run. But you brought up some points that are so true about things that took some of the fun out of the trip for some players. Male egos, and such stood in the way of making it less about competition and more about comradery and having a good time. It was far too serious and I think that (and the sinking economy) ultimately led to us disbanding.

For instance...it was a scratch tourney and not every player was on the same playing level. It was stroke play with no mercy (we had a guy make a 17 on a hole enroute to a 144 score)...guy had never shot anything close to that score before so do you think he wanted to chat it up on the 19th hole very much?

The 36 a day really wasn't a problem though, we eventually turned that final 18 into a skins round and sometimes a matchplay round if the headcount worked out where everyone could have some fun.

There ya go - adding some betting to the mix to make it more fun. Actually in terms of the guy who scored the 17 - I understand that his ego may have been bruised but over time these are the kind of things that people enjoy talking and laughing about - heck even on that day you need to let it go & in your case there were 8 other rds were the guy could make up for it & prove it was a fluke (or prove that he wasn't any good).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There ya go - adding some betting to the mix to make it more fun. Actually in terms of the guy who scored the 17 - I understand that his ego may have been bruised but over time these are the kind of things that people enjoy talking and laughing about - heck even on that day you need to let it go & in your case there were 8 other rds were the guy could make up for it & prove it was a fluke (or prove that he wasn't any good).

That's true, but none of us were ever going to play on anybody's tour (although one guy did try).

When everyone saw his score posted, he got a fair amount of razzing and he handled it well, but it was not a good idea to have everyone hole out. In hindsight, he should've been allowed to pick up at a certain point and keep the round moving.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, but none of us were ever going to play on anybody's tour (although one guy did try).

When everyone saw his score posted, he got a fair amount of razzing and he handled it well, but it was not a good idea to have everyone hole out. In hindsight, he should've been allowed to pick up at a certain point and keep the round moving.

If it were me & the rd were going South I would turn my focus towards drinking. :D

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
36 holes is about my limit in a day.

This feat is insane. How do you have enough daylight for that many shots?