• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going to Hawaii, thinking of bringing my pole

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 4 piece ugly stick Gx2 that I use to travel with but I've never even attempted ocean shore fishing. Thought I might bring it and throw some very clearly freshwater lures into the ocean to see if I can get anything to bite. Bad idea or bad idea lol?

I have some larger heavy hooked jig-heads that I can throw a soft plastic on. Figured it might catch something? And to shore fish in Hawaii you don't need a license. I can't tell if this is a genius idea or one that will fail miserably since I know almost nothing about fishing the ocean.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 4 piece ugly stick Gx2 that I use to travel with but I've never even attempted ocean shore fishing. Thought I might bring it and throw some very clearly freshwater lures into the ocean to see if I can get anything to bite. Bad idea or bad idea lol?

I have some larger heavy hooked jig-heads that I can throw a soft plastic on. Figured it might catch something? And to shore fish in Hawaii you don't need a license. I can't tell if this is a genius idea or one that will fail miserably since I know almost nothing about fishing the ocean.
What's the fishing laws in Hawaii? Do you need a license.
I was in Maui 2 years ago and there were several people fishing. 1 caught a small hammerhead shark. It was only about 2 foot long. Another I seen caught a sting ray. They were cool to look at.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the fishing laws in Hawaii? Do you need a license.
I was in Maui 2 years ago and there were several people fishing. 1 caught a small hammerhead shark. It was only about 2 foot long. Another I seen caught a sting ray. They were cool to look at.
I spent some time looking it up, we're going to Kauai, not sure if it differs by island (I don't think it does) and the laws seem to suggest you don't need a license to fish off shore. You only need a license to fish for freshwater fish inland on the islands. There's some protected natural resource areas that you can't fish in or they're limited in what kind of fish you can target but otherwise it seems totally open.

I figured if I caught something good, like a snapper, I could keep it.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent some time looking it up, we're going to Kauai, not sure if it differs by island (I don't think it does) and the laws seem to suggest you don't need a license to fish off shore. You only need a license to fish for freshwater fish inland on the islands. There's some protected natural resource areas that you can't fish in or they're limited in what kind of fish you can target but otherwise it seems totally open.

I figured if I caught something good, like a snapper, I could keep it.
That would be cool.

Found this:
Hawaii is one of the few states that does not require a saltwater fishing license or any requirements on type of bait or class of rod used. Not sure what to use for bait? The most common bait used here on Maui is strip or squid which you can pick up at a local supermarket.

Additional Fishing Pole

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be cool.

Found this:
Hawaii is one of the few states that does not require a saltwater fishing license or any requirements on type of bait or class of rod used. Not sure what to use for bait? The most common bait used here on Maui is strip or squid which you can pick up at a local supermarket.

Additional Fishing Pole
Never thought of renting one. Might be interesting. I think I'm more blind when it comes to bait and rigs for shore fishing; specifically off the volcanic banks that litter most of Kauai.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought of renting one. Might be interesting. I think I'm more blind when it comes to bait and rigs for shore fishing; specifically off the volcanic banks that litter most of Kauai.
I'm think it would be in your best interest to visit a shop that rents stuff even if you aren't going to rent any gear. Just to ask a few questions and get some tips.