• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants GM Dave Gettleman diagnosed with lymphoma

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://nypost.com/2018/06/05/giants-gm-dave-gettleman-diagnosed-with-lymphoma/

Dave Gettleman, the Giants’ new general manager, revealed Tuesday he has been diagnosed with lymphoma and will begin treatment “in the very near future.’’

Gettleman, 67, in a statement released by the team, said a recent annual exam discovered the lymphoma, which is a cancer of the lymphatic system. This type of cancer starts in the white blood cells and can spread, or metastasize, to different parts of the body.

“Over the past week, I have undergone more testing to determine the course of treatment,’’ Gettleman said. “The doctor’s outlook for the treatment and the prognosis is positive, and so am I.”

Gettleman was hired last December to replace Jerry Reese, who was dismissed after 11 years as the Giants’ general manager. It was a homecoming for Gettleman, who spent 15 years working in personnel with the Giants. Gettleman then served as the Panthers’ general manager for four years.

“I will continue to work as much as the treatment process will allow, and as they know, when I am not in the office, I will be in constant communication with Pat [Shurmur], Kevin [Abrams] and the rest of our staff,’’ said Gettleman, referring to the new head coach and the assistant general manager.

“I am thankful to John Mara and Steve Tisch and our organization for their support and encouragement, and to Ronnie Barnes for his guidance and assistance,’’ Gettleman said. “And, of course, to my wife Joanne and our children for their love and support.

“And I want to thank you in advance for respecting my privacy and that of my family as we work our way through this. I look forward to being back at full strength and devoting all my energy to helping make this 2018 New York Giants team the best it can be.”

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awful but I did say I wanted them to hire a younger GM

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
terrible i just read that a little bit ago, godspeed.