• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants Affeldt honest to a 1/2 mil fault.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toronto -- If you found $500,000 in the street and knew it belonged to someone else, but discovered that legally you could keep it, would you?
That essentially was Jeremy Affeldt's dilemma in March, 2010, he wrote in his book, "To Stir a Movement."

Affeldt was set to earn $4 million in 2010 under an existing contract with the Giants when they negotiated a two-year, $10 million extension. When the 2010 amount was rewritten into the new contract, someone made a clerical error and typed $4.5 million instead. The Giants and Affeldt signed it without recognizing the mistake.
Affeldt got three opinions saying the contract was ironclad and he could keep the extra $500,000, from the Players Association, agent Michael Moye and even Giants assistant general manager Bobby Evans.
Affeldt recalled Moye telling him, "You know what? As your agent I've got to tell you that legally you can keep it. As a man who represents integrity, I'm saying you should give it back."
And that's what Affeldt said he did, redoing the contract with the $500,000 excised.
"I talked to Bobby the next day and said, 'I can't take that money,' " Affeldt said. " 'I won't sleep well at night knowing I took that money because every time I open my paycheck I'll know it's not right.' "
Affeldt signed a new three-year, $18 million deal last winter and said he believes the negotiations went smoothly and quickly because of the residual good feelings from the 2010 experience.
Affeldt also revealed in the book that the Giants wanted to sign him in 2008, but he thought their offer was low in light of the season he just had with Colorado. He signed with Cincinnati instead, then came to San Francisco in 2009.

:omg:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great find. I had never heard this story before!

The guy gets injured in the weirdest ways, but they all tend to be family-oriented (he once sliced his hand flipping burgers, and once threw out his back playing with his daughter). He is also one of the real club-house leaders on the team. After the Brian Stow incident, when the Dodgers came to AT&T, each team picked a representative to speak to the crowd before the first game to try to calm any bad blood and the Giants picked Affeldt as their speaker. It was certainly perceived as a sign of respect that he was picked.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great find. I had never heard this story before!

The guy gets injured in the weirdest ways, but they all tend to be family-oriented (he once sliced his hand flipping burgers, and once threw out his back playing with his daughter). He is also one of the real club-house leaders on the team. After the Brian Stow incident, when the Dodgers came to AT&T, each team picked a representative to speak to the crowd before the first game to try to calm any bad blood and the Giants picked Affeldt as their speaker. It was certainly perceived as a sign of respect that he was picked.

I liked the guy before this, so this just kinds of cements the feelings. And yes, I am aware of his ability to get hurt in failry unusual ways.