• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants #8 Prospect

Who is the best remaining prospect?

• Garrett Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ryan Howard

• Gregory Santos

• Sandro Fabian

• Other (name in discussion)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While there are guys like Ferguson, Beede, Black, Bergen, and Gerber who are certainly in line to at least get some MLB time this year, I think their ceilings or Rule V status’ are black marks enough to make the next few slots pretty much pure potential slots.

I think this slot needs to to Canario, Adon or Santos.

Again, I will reserve my vote as a tie breaker.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Canario should be this low. Garcia is being over ranked, in my opinion. He hasn't shown that much with his bat in the upper minors. I think his brief cup of success in the bigs has him on an all time high for prospect status.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Canario should be this low. Garcia is being over ranked, in my opinion. He hasn't shown that much with his bat in the upper minors. I think his brief cup of success in the bigs has him on an all time high for prospect status.
I hear what you are saying, but it isn’t like he came out of nowhere. He was always a top 10-ish prospect, and now he has MLB success and holds a critical position of need for the big club. I don’t think he is unfairly getting praised.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you are saying, but it isn’t like he came out of nowhere. He was always a top 10-ish prospect, and now he has MLB success and holds a critical position of need for the big club. I don’t think he is unfairly getting praised.

I also think there's just a general hesitation with any Latin player developed by the Giants, for good reason.

Hopefully that changes here the next few years. They've found lots of interesting guys with limited resources recently, and their new facilities in the DR have seemed to be pretty positive, overall. I think approximately the next 6 guys on my list are all international signings.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to argue that he isn't a top prospect from the farm or that he came out of nowhere. I just think he's ranked too high. I didn't rate him in the top 10 last year. I'd probably put him at 9 or 10 this year. The 7th spot just seems too high.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to argue that he isn't a top prospect from the farm or that he came out of nowhere. I just think he's ranked too high. I didn't rate him in the top 10 last year. I'd probably put him at 9 or 10 this year. The 7th spot just seems too high.
I personally think that everyone outside the top 3 in the Giants system right now is either a pure lotto ticket or a dime-a-dozen prospect.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aramis Garcia had a VERY flukey season last year - BABIP of .500 !!! He also walks too little and strikes out too much (31 Ks in 65 PAs !!!). That being said, he is just fine as the secondary (or emergency or "wait for Buster to come back") catcher. He isn't much of "a prospect" (unless by 'prospect' you mean "a guy who can be stashed in the minors to replace a catcher when somebody gets injured").

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aramis Garcia had a VERY flukey season last year - BABIP of .500 !!! He also walks too little and strikes out too much (31 Ks in 65 PAs !!!). That being said, he is just fine as the secondary (or emergency or "wait for Buster to come back") catcher. He isn't much of "a prospect" (unless by 'prospect' you mean "a guy who can be stashed in the minors to replace a catcher when somebody gets injured").
Technically, I think the widely accepted definition of a “prospect” is someone who still qualifies as a rookie. Thus why Ryder Jones, even though he is very young and still on the Sacto/SF shuttle is not mentioned in these discussions.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, by "not much of a prospect" I meant "not really interesting" or "maybe replacement value" (WAR around 0, probably negative but maybe positive, but still hovering somewheres around 0). I didn't mean either of "won't play in the majors" or "too experienced".