• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants #3 Prospect

Who is the best remaining prospect?

• Chris Shaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melvin Adon

• Garrett Williams

• Aremis Garcia

• Juan de Paula

• Ray Black

• Abiatal Avelino

• Sandro Fabian

• Alexander Canario

• Tyler Beede

• Jacob Gonzalez

• Sean Hjelle

• Diego Rincones

• Other (name in post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said earlier, I am a fan of proximity. And Luciano has none of that. But he does have ceiling. And pedigree. And lots of both. Black, Avelino, Shaw, Anderson, Williams and Beede all have at least a chance to get MLB time this year, if not provide significant time. But none of them have the potential game-changing ability that Luciano has. His ceiling may be even higher than Bart’s.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have high hopes for Santos. I'm hoping he takes the next step this year and becomes the best pitcher in the farm system.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have high hopes for Santos. I'm hoping he takes the next step this year and becomes the best pitcher in the farm system.

Extremely impressive season from him as an 18-year old jumping all the way from the Dominican League to a league full of collegiate players.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays etc.

Luciano for game-changing ability, but will likely only be in the Arizona League next year so he's a ways off. Still I'm really excited to see this kid.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd stick Luciano at the 5 spot, with Webb at 4 and Ramos at 3. However, because I was the one poster who didn't vote for Ramos, I had to put Webb here.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd stick Luciano at the 5 spot, with Webb at 4 and Ramos at 3. However, because I was the one poster who didn't vote for Ramos, I had to put Webb here.
Who would you put 2?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you put 2?
I had Chris Shaw at 2. It feels weird putting any player with no professional experience even in the top 5 but the Giants' system is thin, so I'm okay with Luciano in that spot. I'm sure he'll be higher next year, but I want to see what he does at a pro level before putting him any higher than five.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Chris Shaw at 2. It feels weird putting any player with no professional experience even in the top 5 but the Giants' system is thin, so I'm okay with Luciano in that spot. I'm sure he'll be higher next year, but I want to see what he does at a pro level before putting him any higher than five.
So if you thought Shaw was the best prospect at #2, why isn’t he still the best available prospect at #3?

:scratch:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is my main reasoning for putting Ramos and Luciano 2/3 on my list, personally. The Giants' minor league system is stretched quite thin. It's not dry, however.

Let me explain. The Giants continuously are able to churn out a number of guys every year that can contribute at the ML level, guys that don't have the superstar ceiling but can serve a purpose. That's a great trait for a minor league system and I think it's always overlooked in the national spotlight, the narrative is always "no top-100 guys, bad system" when in reality that seems to have been the Giants m.o. the past 8 years or so.

Sure they'd love to have a Seager, or a Bellinger, or a Gleyber Torres come through the system and that's absolutely where they've failed basically since Belt, but they've been able to graduate many guys that have contributed in the majors and stuck. And that's seemingly been by design by targeting specific skillsets.

I got off-track a little bit here, but what I'm trying to say here is in my eyes Bart, Ramos and Luciano (and Canario, the next guy on my list) all have game-changing tools and ability, whereas the rest of the Giants' system provides sustainability. That's why I personally am okay ranking them ahead of the pack, despite none of them playing above A-ball.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you thought Shaw was the best prospect at #2, why isn’t he still the best available prospect at #3?

:scratch:
Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this voting system. I guess I'm supposed to accept the majority vote and take the next vote accordingly. I was thinking about who was left in my rankings and picking the closest to the #3 spot that was available.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my main reasoning for putting Ramos and Luciano 2/3 on my list, personally. The Giants' minor league system is stretched quite thin. It's not dry, however.

Let me explain. The Giants continuously are able to churn out a number of guys every year that can contribute at the ML level, guys that don't have the superstar ceiling but can serve a purpose. That's a great trait for a minor league system and I think it's always overlooked in the national spotlight, the narrative is always "no top-100 guys, bad system" when in reality that seems to have been the Giants m.o. the past 8 years or so.

Sure they'd love to have a Seager, or a Bellinger, or a Gleyber Torres come through the system and that's absolutely where they've failed basically since Belt, but they've been able to graduate many guys that have contributed in the majors and stuck. And that's seemingly been by design by targeting specific skillsets.

I got off-track a little bit here, but what I'm trying to say here is in my eyes Bart, Ramos and Luciano (and Canario, the next guy on my list) all have game-changing tools and ability, whereas the rest of the Giants' system provides sustainability. That's why I personally am okay ranking them ahead of the pack, despite none of them playing above A-ball.
I won't disagree with you, except that I just cannot bring myself to voting for a guy who hasn't played professional ball any higher than the 5 spot. There is just so little proof yet that he's that good to be any higher, in my mind, than #5. In a better farm (i.e., one where there are more than just one or two good performers before farm team), he'd probably land at the tail end, or just outside, the top 10. A good 2019 will probably rocket him close to #1 (depending on how Ramos looks).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't disagree with you, except that I just cannot bring myself to voting for a guy who hasn't played professional ball any higher than the 5 spot. There is just so little proof yet that he's that good to be any higher, in my mind, than #5. In a better farm (i.e., one where there are more than just one or two good performers before farm team), he'd probably land at the tail end, or just outside, the top 10. A good 2019 will probably rocket him close to #1 (depending on how Ramos looks).

Totally fair. I probably wouldn't even rank him in a 'better' farm system because of his lack of exp., but in this farm system he's going to be counted on as a savior type so I'm okay throwing him on there.

I also think he's going to play in the AZL this year, which would put him on the spotlight a bit more instead of hiding away in the Dominican

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this voting system. I guess I'm supposed to accept the majority vote and take the next vote accordingly. I was thinking about who was left in my rankings and picking the closest to the #3 spot that was available.
Yes, that is why the actual poll question is “Who is the best remaining prospect?” I am trying to get an overall sense of the boards top [whatever] list.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw #1, Anderson #2. (Yeah, I realize those spots are closed, but I just can't pick youngsters with almost no track record.)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw #1, Anderson #2. (Yeah, I realize those spots are closed, but I just can't pick youngsters with almost no track record.)
So you are voting Shaw in this poll?