• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Getting some love from ESPN

dgonaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well baseball tonight gave a positive review of the Rockies where they felt there was legitimacy to the Rockies early surge which was very encouraging considering how far down they (along with every other major sports broadcasting/writing site was).

Christina Kahrl also wrote up a piece on the Rockies where she had mostly positive things to say about the Rockies all around with the only negatives being she was not to thrilled about Nelson or Rutledge early on (though she did point out Arenado is killing the ball so far in the young AAA season and he may not be there for long). She said Nelson is nothing other than a placeholder and there isn't much room for real improvement out of him (at this stage we have to assume that though I am pleased with his improved defense so far this season, just not his bat). Rutledge just isn't preforming though I about gagged the other night when Rutledge walked twice in the same game to the Mets---you know you are pitching badly when Rutledge walks twice in one game.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see the Rockies getting some respect. Rick Sutcliffe thinks the difference with Rockie pitching this year is they are throwing strikes. Throwing strikes, being healthy, better defense is all contributing but I have to think Weiss and his staff can't be overlooked.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the game on FS Arizona, and the D-back announcers brought up an exercise/drill the Rockies are using this year, using ropes to set up a target about knee high so that guys get accustomed to keeping the ball down. Also, maybe the 75 pitch oddness from last year can pay off for Chacin, and maybe Pomeranz and Friedrich should they get up to Denver. But like 67RS, I think a lot of credit should go to Weiss and Bichette... Just hopefully they can play a bit better on the road.

smf52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the coaches should get most of the kudos for the improvement in the Rockies this year. For me, that starts with Jim Wright if he was the one who instilled the idea that throwing strikes wins ballgames. I also like the improvement in attitude and that would have to come from Dante and Weiss. I think Bichette is trying to make hitting fun again and I also think he is very adept at noticing mechanical errors. Weiss has instituted an approach where you play fully each game, each day and I think that has helped make them more aggressive on the basepaths.

I think it is great that the Rockies are finally getting some national attention because last year the focus on the Rockies was that it was all horrible, which was true but nonetheless...

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also watched the Arizona feed last night. That's what I have to view since I work in New Mexico. The drill BAW is talking about is ropes like he said, set up at the knees and 6" below the knees and they have to pitch within that space.