• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Getting new stereo installed on Friday in my truck

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ready. Finally got everything in today. Taking it to a friend's shop to have it all installed on Friday. Cannot do it at my house because the truck does not fit in the garage and it is supposed to rain all weekend. Only costing me $250 for a full install.

Pioneer 7 inch double din touch screen DVD/Media center with Bluetooth and sat radio

2 10 inch Rockford Fosgate P2 subs for under the rear seat
Replacing all 6x9s in the 4 doors also RF
P500X2 2 channel amp for subs
Monster cable kit

Wife is a little pissed at having 2 subs since the kid will sit on top of one, but I told her that there is a sub shutoff selection on the head unit. Which there is, but she does not believe me. Guess she will have to find out then. :lol:

Rumble Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget to buy the "bypass" grounding cable. This will enable the DVD player to work while in Drive, Reverse, Park....what have you.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should've installed the back-up camera that came with mine....figured I'd never use it but was wrong.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice setup. Been a while since I was into all that stereo stuff, but there was a time. Head units have come a long ways since I was tooling around with that. I had an actual slide dial equalizer under my dash in my truck, with two 12's behind the seat (regular cab truck). Since you are doing all that, have you considered looking for integrated Tweeters for the A-pillars? So you can get the high/mid range sound up around head level but still have it look better than two disks stuck to the roof. These are for an old bowtie, but same idea

CCTST.jpg

Wouldn't need much power for them, but as long as you have the dash all ripped apart maybe have some wires run and capped in case you want to add them later.

I guess depending on the year of your truck there might be airbags in the A-pillar now though. Glad I never had to mess with that crap in my '84. :suds:

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice setup. Been a while since I was into all that stereo stuff, but there was a time. Head units have come a long ways since I was tooling around with that. I had an actual slide dial equalizer under my dash in my truck, with two 12's behind the seat (regular cab truck). Since you are doing all that, have you considered looking for integrated Tweeters for the A-pillars? So you can get the high/mid range sound up around head level but still have it look better than two disks stuck to the roof. These are for an old bowtie, but same idea

CCTST.jpg

Wouldn't need much power for them, but as long as you have the dash all ripped apart maybe have some wires run and capped in case you want to add them later.

I guess depending on the year of your truck there might be airbags in the A-pillar now though. Glad I never had to mess with that crap in my '84. :suds:

Truck is a 2012. No need to tear the dash apart. simple 2 screws to take out the bezel around the factory unit and do the install. Looked at some, but bought the RF speakers with a directional tweeter built in. Do not want to drill holes into a truck still under warranty. I was told by Dodge that as long as there is no drilling or wire cutting for the install that the warranty stays in tact. Could be pure bs though. Did not have a problem with my last Dodge and its stereo. Plus hard to put a nice looking pillar like that on. Need the oh shit handles so the midget wife can get into the truck. It is lifted 6 inches with 35s on it.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
You have an amp for the subs, but nothing for the 6x9's?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am ready. Finally got everything in today. Taking it to a friend's shop to have it all installed on Friday. Cannot do it at my house because the truck does not fit in the garage and it is supposed to rain all weekend. Only costing me $250 for a full install.

Pioneer 7 inch double din touch screen DVD/Media center with Bluetooth and sat radio

2 10 inch Rockford Fosgate P2 subs for under the rear seat
Replacing all 6x9s in the 4 doors also RF
P500X2 2 channel amp for subs
Monster cable kit

Wife is a little pissed at having 2 subs since the kid will sit on top of one, but I told her that there is a sub shutoff selection on the head unit. Which there is, but she does not believe me. Guess she will have to find out then. :lol:

Good get on the HU.

Boooo on the rest.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget to buy the "bypass" grounding cable. This will enable the DVD player to work while in Drive, Reverse, Park....what have you.

Typically, all you have to do is ground the parking brake wire. So buying a bypass isn't usually needed....just hook the wire (usually pink i believe) up to the black (usually the ground for the HU) and you are good to go.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would I be correct in guessing you have a pair of those stupid truck balls hanging from the truck you can't fit in a garage?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good get on the HU.

Boooo on the rest.

RF makes a good speaker and amp. I would have preferred a JL sub and Boston Acoustic speakers, but the cost differential was too much.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i'd wait for a day when its not raining

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RF makes a good speaker and amp. I would have preferred a JL sub and Boston Acoustic speakers, but the cost differential was too much.

There are better subs out there than the cookie cutter ones you see in most audio shops and they are usually at a much cheaper price. Not that you won't be happy with your setup, i'm sure you will, it's just food for thought.

Example- I bought an Image Dynamics IDMAX12 when I was young which was very comparable to a w7 and even better in a few aspects. A single 12" JL W7 would run you about $700 - $800. A single IDMAX 12 cost me under $400. 10 years later, that IDMAX is still going as strong today as it did the day I opened the box.

img1774xm6.jpg

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Pre-amp out on the head unit is 50watts. More than enough for the 6x9s.

Even if you mean 50 watts per channel, you are going to be very disappointed.
You'll be turning the power to about 50% on the subs, just so you can hear the other speakers.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
System in and some time to adjust the EQ. Sounds good. Even with only the pre-amp of the head unit. Now to figure out the rest of the "gadgets" in the head unit.