• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gerrit Cole to Houston

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros are really going for it yet again!

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price seem cheap. Can’t believe they didn’t get fisher or the other of prospect

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 players to the Pirates. Bodies overboard!

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty pissed off about the trade.

If that's all they were going to get, I'd just rather have kept Cole, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with him, Taillon and Kuhl and compete for a playoff spot

They may as well just trade McCutchen now for a bag of used condoms or something and finish tearing the thing apart.

A big part of the problem is that the ownership is notorious for prioritizing cost cutting above all else and teams around baseball know this, putting Pirates management at a disadvantage amid trade talks.

The Pirates probably chose this evening to pull the trigger on this, knowing that the focus of Pittsburgh sports fans would be on the Steelers this weekend

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that's all they were going to get, I'd just rather have kept Cole, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with him, Taillon and Kuhl and compete for a playoff spot

They may as well just trade McCutchen now for a bag of used condoms or something and finish tearing the thing apart.

A big part of the problem is that the ownership is notorious for prioritizing cost cutting above all else and teams around baseball know this, putting Pirates management at a disadvantage amid trade talks.

The Pirates probably chose this evening to pull the trigger on this, knowing that the focus of Pittsburgh sports fans would be on the Steelers this weekend

Yeah no clue this is a pointless deal for that return. We already know Nutting won't spend money but this really didn't help much at all.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeesh, what a disappoinbting return. Not a single top 100 prospect. Remember when names like Whitley/Adams/Frazier were being thrown around? Lol. Musgrove and Feliz aren't too shabby and are under control for a while. They seem pretty optimistic about Moran's 2017 performance considering he didn't hit nearly as well at previous levels, and that was in the PCL.

Still better than the Ozuna trade though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole isn't much of an add at this point to me.

Dude prolly needs neck surgery from watching all those homers. No NL pitcher gave up more.

I'd bank on McCullers as their third guy about as much as Cole.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates got hosed on this according to scouts.....Read one scouts take "The Pirates would have done better if they did Cole for Clint Frazier straight up"

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you might be evaluating this trade based on 'here's what they had and here's what they got in return'. There are a lot of components to a trade that don't necessarily connect to direct return.

All ownerships can be accused of dumping salary. Very few teams don't.

Lightning in a bottle is a fairly abstract business strategy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates got hosed on this according to scouts.....Read one scouts take "The Pirates would have done better if they did Cole for Clint Frazier straight up"

I take quality over quantity all day.

I guess with quantity, 1 injury/flop doesnt zero out your return.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid pickup for Houston. Cole should solidify that rotation.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah... no. They kept their talent and they could use it to acquire a better pitcher (or at least one with a more consistent track record).

Exactly. I'm not sure at all where this writer was going with this one

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I'm not sure at all where this writer was going with this one

The Yankees project to have one of the best rotations in the AL, if not MLB. It's not like it's a pressing need. There might be some uncertainty with Sabathia/Montgomery, but I'd feel a lot better about them than almost any other team's #4/5 starters. And if one of them falters, they can go to Chance Adams.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees project to have one of the best rotations in the AL, if not MLB. It's not like it's a pressing need. There might be some uncertainty with Sabathia/Montgomery, but I'd feel a lot better about them than almost any other team's #4/5 starters.

I'm still not convinced they won't swoop in and get JD either

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not convinced they won't swoop in and get JD either

I don't see where he'd fit though. They already have a logjam in the outfield (Judge/Hicks/Gardner/Ellsbury/Frazier), plus they have Stanton at DH and Bird at 1B. If the Yanks are going to acquire any bats, it's far more likely they'd get a 2nd or 3rd baseman IMO (though Andujar is an interesting prospect).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see where he'd fit though. They already have a logjam in the outfield (Judge/Hicks/Gardner/Ellsbury/Frazier), plus they have Stanton at DH and Bird at 1B. If the Yanks are going to acquire any bats, it's far more likely they'd get a 2nd or 3rd baseman IMO (though Andujar is an interesting prospect).

again very true but I wouldn't be shocked if they do... Maybe somehow trade Ellsbury and Gardner