• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems crazy, but 46 million is Mahomes level of pay isn’t it?

It's Daniel Jones level of pay actually. By that time Mahomes's contract will be outdated. Per this yahoo article, by the end of 2023 Mahomes could be the 9th highest paid QB. Does Patrick Mahomes seem like the 9th best QB in the league?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Daniel Jones level of pay actually. By that time Mahomes's contract will be outdated. Per this yahoo article, by the end of 2023 Mahomes could be the 9th highest paid QB. Does Patrick Mahomes seem like the 9th best QB in the league?

No.. but we can just blame @HaroldSeattle if that isn't the case.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I understand the contract right, he gets the $15 million against the cap anyway, so we aren't saving that if he performs this season. If he isn't cut before March 15ish, then the dead cap hit is $54 million.

Honestly, the contract is written such that if Geno sucks, Seattle can walk away fairly unscathed after 1 year, but if Geno hits his incentives - Seattle can't cut him until year three without taking a massive hit.
I doubt they would even if they could. Geno bet on himself and Seahawks would appreciate that.However the cost for Geno could be a lot more then what we expected.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fwiw, Geno will have to have an MVP season to hit all his escalator marks. Even then, I doubt he surpasses his comp% and yardage marks from last year. ( set team records in both). TDs, wins obviously doable. Passer rating maybe. So even if he hits 3 of the 5, it's 6 mil. Not a huge amount but obviously, it will be a pretty nice problem to have if he nails his escalators. I think we worry about what's next off season when it comes and we see what Geno does. And how the team does. This deal basically gives them the same out as Vegas had last year with Carr so if Geno falters and the team isn't doing well, they can sit him down and cut bait like Vegas did. Not sure if that approach is in Pete's makeup but it is written into the deal. I do applaud Geno for being honest enough to take what is given and be grateful. The dude may not be great but he is very likeable and a stand-up guy, imo.
As for the cap hit, we will see what they do. That thing can always be manipulated in various ways. The only real concern to me is if he is playing well and suffers some freak injury late in the year after reaching those escalators. Then the team has no out and yes, then that cap hit becomes a major one. But that's negative thinking and I prefer not to think that way in the present. All in all, one has to admire the smarts in this deal. This gives the team a lot of options.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some other details in the contract that increases the cost for Geno in 2024:

Based on the information we have we can project approximate cap hits for the years of the contract:

2023 — $10.1 million

2024 — $31.2 million ($46.2m if $15m of roster bonus escalators met in 2023)

2025 — $33.7 million ($48.7m if $15m of roster bonus escalators met in 2024)

If he hits the mark for roster bonus escalators in 2023 then Geno's cap hit increases to 46.2 in 2024 and then if he meets them again in 2024 his cap hit goes to 48.7 in 2025. How does everyone feel about that? Obviously, Geno would have to play great to hit those escalators but dang 46.2 million is no bargain.
Here is my understanding of what the requirements would be to meet those escalators:

Specifically, Smith’s salary for the following year increases if in either 2023 or 2024 he passes for 4,282 yards, 30 touchdowns, completes 69.75% of his passes, has a 100.874 passer rating, and does both of playing at least 80% of the snaps while Seattle wins 10 games or makes the playoffs. - Bob Condotta, Seattle Times

If this is the case, Smith needs a minimum of 4,282 passing yards, 30 touchdowns 69.75% completion percentage, 100.874 passer rating AND the Seahawks have to win at least 10 games or make the playoffs. So, in order for him to get those escalators he has to play even better than he did in 2022 and the team has to be successful.

That's a pretty tough hurdle to clear for him, and quite honestly a hurdle I find unlikely as based on that quote if he doesn't clear any of those hurdles, he wouldn't qualify for that bonus. If he clears all those hurdles, I think he's worth the money personally. That's about the going rate for a QB capable of putting up those numbers.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I understand the contract right, he gets the $15 million against the cap anyway, so we aren't saving that if he performs this season. If he isn't cut before March 15ish, then the dead cap hit is $54 million.

Honestly, the contract is written such that if Geno sucks, Seattle can walk away fairly unscathed after 1 year, but if Geno hits his incentives - Seattle can't cut him until year three without taking a massive hit.
In the scenario that he meets the incentives in his contract: "Specifically, Smith’s salary for the following year increases if in either 2023 or 2024 he passes for 4,282 yards, 30 touchdowns, completes 69.75% of his passes, has a 100.874 passer rating, and does both of playing at least 80% of the snaps while Seattle wins 10 games or makes the playoffs." then I don't think the team would want to get out of the contract.