• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game thread

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The discipline was very impressive. As you mention, Hubbard and Hendrickson stayed put on the edge. It was really good football and they made Jackson work for everything he got.

BTW - I think Jackson is actually getting better. He did some insane things yesterday. If they weren't so banged up, they would be a huge problem.
Agreed. He's using his mobility to not just run, but extend the passing plays. I think early on he would either just run, or stand in the pocket in defiance of those who said he couldn't be a pocket QB. Now, he's running when he can, but he's also keeping his eyes downfield. Hitting guys like Brown and their TE for big gains.

This actually looks a lot like Peak Ben Roethlisberger. Using your ability to avoid sacks, extending passing plays, and picking up huge chunk yards because of those extended plays. Clearly, different reasons why they each avoid sacks, but the end result is the same.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the kid has moxie. reminds me of Joe Montana or the 'goat himself. The bengs are not dead to me, offically

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was an interesting breakdown of our defense by a QB and DB who both played 10 plus years in the modern NFL...

That was really, really good.

Love how the Bengals showed blitz, engaged, and then dropped. I think, for any QB, that is really, really hard to prepare for because you simply don't know if they are coming, or dropping, and are likely already looking at taking the short route to avoid pressure.

It also highlights what I had mentioned before - the ability of the DL to enclose the pocket, while keeping LJ relatively bottled up. He's always going to break for some runs, but by and large, the DE's did such a great job of getting upfield and then turning in (as opposed to getting sucked inside giving up the outside containment) that often when Jackson went to avoid 1 DE, he was pressured, hit, sacked by the other. The DT's brought the pressure right up the gut, and avoided getting pushed out to the edge, meaning that Jackson had little space to operate.

Just a flat out dominant performance by this DL.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How on earth did we become well-coached? This is very disorienting.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lose Lawson, dunlap and jacksonIII and get better? I'm confused

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lose Lawson, dunlap and jacksonIII and get better? I'm confused
Dunlap had a consistency issue. He would play well for stretches, and then tail off. Not to mention, he was a part of the Marvin crew, and clearly had some internal issues with how things were changing and I think his play reflected that to a degree. The emergence of Hubbard is really what made Dunlap expendable.

Lawson - it would have been nice to sign him, but Hendrickson (I think) was rated better against the run. Lawson was always dinged up as well, and unfortunately was lost for the season this year. I think he's got a lot of talent, but Hendrickson was more prepared to help right now.

I don't know what the numbers were, but my eyes told me that Jackson was never as good as his first year playing. He made plays here and there, but he could have also suffered from not having a ton of pressure generated by the DL. He may have done better here now that the DL is generating pressure, but I always felt he was a little over-rated and wasn't worth the big money he was looking for in F/A.

The real key, IMO, to this defense though has been the health of the DL, guys living up to their roles (Hendrickson, Reader, Ogunjobi, Hill) and the emergence of a STUD MLB in Wilson. His growth from year 1 to year 2 has been very impressive, and the LB group overall is much more athletic and quicker in space than years past. To me, though, it all starts up front. Reader, Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Hubbard are setting the tone for the rest of that defense clogging up running lanes, eating up blocks, and providing pressure.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of those Marvin guys never bought into Taylor. I always liked Dunlap while he was here, but he didn't act like a professional in his final year here. It's worth noting that Dunlap has basically played all season and has registered 5 tackles and .5 a sack. I think he's basically finished. I'm not sure what happened to Atkins, but he fell off the cliff pretty quick as well.

WJIII is vastly overrated. And he is being completely exposed in Washington - He's just not very good and certainly not worth the money he earned in free agency.

I liked Lawson a lot, but the injuries are definitely an issue. I also thought he caused a lot of mayhem but came up a bit short when needed. Apparently he was looking good with the NYJ before his injury. I hope he comes back and does well.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunlap had a consistency issue. He would play well for stretches, and then tail off. Not to mention, he was a part of the Marvin crew, and clearly had some internal issues with how things were changing and I think his play reflected that to a degree. The emergence of Hubbard is really what made Dunlap expendable.

Lawson - it would have been nice to sign him, but Hendrickson (I think) was rated better against the run. Lawson was always dinged up as well, and unfortunately was lost for the season this year. I think he's got a lot of talent, but Hendrickson was more prepared to help right now.

I don't know what the numbers were, but my eyes told me that Jackson was never as good as his first year playing. He made plays here and there, but he could have also suffered from not having a ton of pressure generated by the DL. He may have done better here now that the DL is generating pressure, but I always felt he was a little over-rated and wasn't worth the big money he was looking for in F/A.

The real key, IMO, to this defense though has been the health of the DL, guys living up to their roles (Hendrickson, Reader, Ogunjobi, Hill) and the emergence of a STUD MLB in Wilson. His growth from year 1 to year 2 has been very impressive, and the LB group overall is much more athletic and quicker in space than years past. To me, though, it all starts up front. Reader, Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Hubbard are setting the tone for the rest of that defense clogging up running lanes, eating up blocks, and providing pressure.
BJ Hill has been a good rotation guy as well and Tupou played well when healthy. A solid group of guys that do their job. I remember reading that Ogunjobi had more potential than he was realizing in Cleveland due to his role in the D. That guy has been amazing since arriving in camp. He wrecks a few plays a game and he and Reader definitely jam up the middle.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BJ Hill has been a good rotation guy as well and Tupou played well when healthy. A solid group of guys that do their job. I remember reading that Ogunjobi had more potential than he was realizing in Cleveland due to his role in the D. That guy has been amazing since arriving in camp. He wrecks a few plays a game and he and Reader definitely jam up the middle.
Yeah, he was playing the NT in Cleveland. Now he's back to his normal position as a 3-tech, or whatever it is....and it shows. He's a perfect compliment to Reader - and I am still excited about the kid from LSU in some other packages once he gets some experience. A dude that big that can run/move like he can....reminds me a lot of Ngata.

And this team still gets Ossai back next year, and Sample has seen some PT as well - the depth is certainly there, as well as some real potential.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also are getting Kareem Khalid back, too. Guy had some flashes down the stretch last year. 5th round pick in 2020 out of ND.