• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game thread

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't figure out how to post pictures. If anyone wants to post a picture of Zac Taylor with a shit eating grin on his face, thanks in advance

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ja’Marr Chase has more receiving yards through his first seven games than any player in NFL history. He’s at 750+ with a quarter left to go and only two other players have topped 600.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ja’Marr Chase has more receiving yards through his first seven games than any player in NFL history. He’s at 750+ with a quarter left to go and only two other players have topped 600.

I said a couple weeks ago he's the most dominant rookie receiver since Randy Moss. I don't think that's hyperbole. Odell Beckham Jr is the only player I can think of where it's even a discussion.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said a couple weeks ago he's the most dominant rookie receiver since Randy Moss. I don't think that's hyperbole. Odell Beckham Jr is the only player I can think of where it's even a discussion.
Right now, Chase is in a league of his own.

No WR has done what he has done through 7 games. Still a lot of ball to go, but he abused that Baltimore 2ndary.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Right now, Chase is in a league of his own.

No WR has done what he has done through 7 games. Still a lot of ball to go, but he abused that Baltimore 2ndary.

Moss was a different player in a different era. He had 17 tds receptions as a rookie. That was tied for the highest number in 11 years at the time (not amongst rookies but any reciever). Odell ended up with 1300 yds and 12 tds in 12 games played.

None of this is meant to take away from Chase who's off to a historically great start. Era adjusted, Moss was an absolute one off imo. 2nd best rookie of WR of our lifetimes is still pretty good.

Having an elite QB and receiver on cost controlled contracts for the next few seasons is huge. With the right moves this team is in a championship window.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, even as a fan of another divisional rival of the Bengals, that was very fun to watch, I enjoyed it immensely. The Bengals are for real, and yes, I'm not exactly looking forward to when the Steelers go to Cincy later this season

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what you won't be hearing a lot about this week? Justin Herbert.

Not taking anything away from the guy, because he could be a generational talent, but since the start of the season the media has crowned him the next big thing while ignoring any potential they see in Joe Burrow. I think Burrow's performance against that difficult D in a big spot is exactly what you are going to get from him. Herbert will improve in those spots in the future, but right now it's Joe's world.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve never been so happy to be so wrong.
Me too..... I was worried they'd run all over us and confuse us with their blitz. As critical as I am of our coaches, they looked pretty damn smart yesterday.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I was really impressed with was how the DL was able to generate pressure mainly with just 4 guys. What I saw was DT's largely staying in their lane up the gut, and DE's not getting too rush-happy and keeping contain. This allowed the pocket to collapse from all sides. When Jackson tried to move left or right, the DEs were there. When he tried to step up, the DT's were there.

A big, big part of that win yesterday was how effectively the DL just contained Jackson in the pocket and then used that to get pressure on him. Very impressed.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You know what you won't be hearing a lot about this week? Justin Herbert.

Not taking anything away from the guy, because he could be a generational talent, but since the start of the season the media has crowned him the next big thing while ignoring any potential they see in Joe Burrow. I think Burrow's performance against that difficult D in a big spot is exactly what you are going to get from him. Herbert will improve in those spots in the future, but right now it's Joe's world.

I've been the president of the Herbert fanclub since midway through his rookie season so I'm willing to give him a mulligan for last week. If it starts a trend that's obviously a different story.

It's looking more and more like two great young QBs came out of that class.

I think the lack of spotlight on the Bengals and Burrow is over now.

I'm not saying this is the "best" team in the AFC but of all the contenders they look like the most complete one. If they can blowout Baltimore in Baltimore in a big division game they can win anywhere in the playoffs

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting tired of listening to James Brown on CBS talk about how much attention Burrow would have and that he would be a household name if he didn't play for the Bengals. Go F yourself James Brown. You want to make him a household name, start talking about him and putting the spotlight on him you douchebag.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been the president of the Herbert fanclub since midway through his rookie season so I'm willing to give him a mulligan for last week. If it starts a trend that's obviously a different story.

It's looking more and more like two great young QBs came out of that class.

I think the lack of spotlight on the Bengals and Burrow is over now.

I'm not saying this is the "best" team in the AFC but of all the contenders they look like the most complete one. If they can blowout Baltimore in Baltimore in a big division game they can win anywhere in the playoffs
Oh yeah.... I'm high on Herbert. I think he's excellent..... I'm just pushing back on the media's early-season obsession with him as the predetermined best-of-class designation that he had. Some of Burrrow's talent is more subtle.... He's not going to make the wow plays that Justin Herbert does, but his icy-cold approach to beating teams is fun to watch. Too many talking heads have compared him to Montana lately - And it's unfair. But, the Burrow/Herbert comp does remind me of Montana/Marino in the 80s. Again, not saying either guy will come close to these HOF careers, but the styles are interesting.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I was really impressed with was how the DL was able to generate pressure mainly with just 4 guys. What I saw was DT's largely staying in their lane up the gut, and DE's not getting too rush-happy and keeping contain. This allowed the pocket to collapse from all sides. When Jackson tried to move left or right, the DEs were there. When he tried to step up, the DT's were there.

A big, big part of that win yesterday was how effectively the DL just contained Jackson in the pocket and then used that to get pressure on him. Very impressed.
The discipline was very impressive. As you mention, Hubbard and Hendrickson stayed put on the edge. It was really good football and they made Jackson work for everything he got.

BTW - I think Jackson is actually getting better. He did some insane things yesterday. If they weren't so banged up, they would be a huge problem.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moss was a different player in a different era. He had 17 tds receptions as a rookie. That was tied for the highest number in 11 years at the time (not amongst rookies but any reciever). Odell ended up with 1300 yds and 12 tds in 12 games played.

None of this is meant to take away from Chase who's off to a historically great start. Era adjusted, Moss was an absolute one off imo. 2nd best rookie of WR of our lifetimes is still pretty good.

Having an elite QB and receiver on cost controlled contracts for the next few seasons is huge. With the right moves this team is in a championship window.
Your last point is a great one..... The Bengals now enter a prime window for a championship. They have Burrow on a rookie deal that they likely don't re-work for another 2 seasons. Chase has a rookie salary for 3-4 years (depending on restructure). You still control Higgins and Boyd for two more seasons and you are getting 2 more prime seasons of Mixon. The line is getting better, but remains the biggest priority for upgrades. On defense, you have your two starting edge guys signed up and some promise coming from Ossai. You need to lock up Bates, sign another corner or two in the offseason and try to keep some of the one-year contract guys around.

Best of all - The team still has salary cap space and maybe they've learned that FA investments not only infuse talent but can change culture as well. If managed correctly, this team could have a legit window over the next three-four seasons.