• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

G5 shakeup?

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn’t surprise me. I’m not sure if this is correct but I think if the conference completely dissolves, that none of the schools would have to pay exit fees. If I were all these other schools that are or about to be announced as leaving, I’d be on the phone with the MAC to get WKU and MTSU in there to make sure that that move would put the final nail in the coffin of the conference.

Unfortunately, UTEP has to hope that the CUSA survives. They have no other options.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, UTEP has to hope that the CUSA survives. They have no other options.
Them, Louisiana Tech and FIU will have trouble finding homes if CUSA dissolves.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn’t surprise me. I’m not sure if this is correct but I think if the conference completely dissolves, that none of the schools would have to pay exit fees. If I were all these other schools that are or about to be announced as leaving, I’d be on the phone with the MAC to get WKU and MTSU in there to make sure that that move would put the final nail in the coffin of the conference.
Several years ago, the MAC was interested in Western Kentucky, and the Hilltoppers showed some interest, as well, but decided to stay in a more Southern-based conference. I don't know if the MAC still has any interest at this point, or whether they would want both WKU & MTSU, but the addition of those two might help boost the league's basketball stature a little bit.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best scenario for the CUSA - if the MAC did not make a move on Western Kentucky or MTSU - would be to invite New Mexico St. as an all-sports member & travel partner for UTEP, add a pair of FCS move-ups from Texas to fill the gap between those two & the rest of the conference, and try to get UMass & UConn on board as football-only members. Liberty has already said they are no longer interested now that Marshall, Old Dominion & James Madison are out of the picture.

CUSA's next move would be to try to convince another pair of FCS schools to move up. Jackson St. & Florida A&M of the SWAC would make the most sense, since JSU is trying to upgrade their overall football viability & would make a good travel partner for La. Tech, and the Rattlers would give the league a second Florida school and keep FIU from being on an island by themselves.

I have no clue whether the league can make any of this happen, but the first scenario is definitely plausible.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several years ago, the MAC was interested in Western Kentucky, and the Hilltoppers showed some interest, as well, but decided to stay in a more Southern-based conference. I don't know if the MAC still has any interest at this point, or whether they would want both WKU & MTSU, but the addition of those two might help boost the league's basketball stature a little bit.
The rumors I’m hearing that if the MAC does expand, it’ll be either UMass and WKU or WKU and MTSU.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading and hearing that the B1G has been talking with the SEC and ACC about a gigantic merge. The B1G would remain the name but there would be 8 Divisions N, NE, NW, S, SE, SW, ME (Mid East), MW (Mid West). The PAC wasn't interested, but if this gets pulled off, the NCAA will be in serious trouble. All of the athletic money that gets funneled into a special pocket will be redirected in the schools that earn them and controlled by those same schools.

I have no idea how much traction that this thing has or if it's just a pipe dream. Certainly would be interesting of the PAC agreed to join and added a another division or two.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading and hearing that the B1G has been talking with the SEC and ACC about a gigantic merge. The B1G would remain the name but there would be 8 Divisions N, NE, NW, S, SE, SW, ME (Mid East), MW (Mid West). The PAC wasn't interested, but if this gets pulled off, the NCAA will be in serious trouble. All of the athletic money that gets funneled into a special pocket will be redirected in the schools that earn them and controlled by those same schools.

I have no idea how much traction that this thing has or if it's just a pipe dream. Certainly would be interesting of the PAC agreed to join and added a another division or two.
I could only see it working with either 48 or 64 schools being involved, possibly 56? as each is divisible by 8. The 3 conferences you mentioned have 44 member schools, meaning 4 more could be given invites. I'd assume Notre Dame would get an invitation, but then who?

With only 3 spots open, where do you go to add them, grab 3 more Indies? BYU and who else? Or is BYU already moving into s conference?

Another question is this could only be a football thing, March Madness is too big of a thing to be remade, so conf ties in other sports could remain intact.

Would work much better with 64 as the PAC and most of the Big 12 could then be included. Or even 72 would work.

All those options lead to a simple playoff scenario, without excluding bowl games. The 8 Div champs square off in week 14 with the 4 winners playing in the Natl Semifinals in week 16. 2nd place teams can square off in week 15, as can 3rd and 4th place teams possibly, in the minor bowls, with selected winners going up against the 4 losers from week 14, and against other winners from week 15 in week 17 in the bigger bowls, with the Natl Title Game in week 18, with this game and the semis rotating like it already does among the 3 major bowls.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So I assume that this would end that B1G, ACC and PAC agreement already if this were to actually happen?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I assume that this would end that B1G, ACC and PAC agreement already if this were to actually happen?
Like I said, I really don't know more than the little bit I've seen and up here there isn't much coverage.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a reaction to the SEC adding OU and UT. An agreement like BigKen is talking about would be an action against the NCAA's best interests and in favor of the schools/conferences in on the agreement. Much bigger move.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumors I’m hearing that if the MAC does expand, it’ll be either UMass and WKU or WKU and MTSU.
The MAC already tried it with UMass a few years ago & it didn't work out. If they decide to expand, it will be with Western & Middle.

Somebody's loaded their hookah up with some powerful stuff. This will not be happening.