• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

From Another Board

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A GREAT question -
Now that we have made the post season - what are our expectations?
Are we really satisfied with just being here?

For me - the trip is always fun but if you don't reach your destination - there is always a sense of disappointment - I may intellectually understand but emotionally I will probably be a basketcase!

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big step to get there after 7 years out. I'm pretty 'satisfied' but I think the Braves series is there for the taking, we are maybe better than their injury depleted team, certainly no worse, and have home field. So based on the matchup I'd definitely feel disappointed with losing to the Braves. Getting to the WS would be ridiculously awesome and I don't expect it one bit.

And even if we lose to the Braves, as long as we show up and don't get swept or stink up the series I'd still call 2010 a very good year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything less than a WS ring, and I will be incredibly disappointed...

For about a week.

For the big picture, this season is already a success.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Sunday, this season transformed into one Giant party.

Like all good parties, they will eventually end - but I just want to rock the playoffs as hard as we can, as long as we can.

The early 2000 teams bore the weight of getting a ring for the franchise and for Bonds. This team is different - I have a feeling this is just the beginning for this nucleus of players.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Sunday, this season transformed into one Giant party.

Like all good parties, they will eventually end - but I just want to rock the playoffs as hard as we can, as long as we can.

The early 2000 teams bore the weight of getting a ring for the franchise and for Bonds. This team is different - I have a feeling this is just the beginning for this nucleus of players.

Interesting take.

I have been a fan since the mid 80s, so I have essentially seen 3 generations of Giants teams (the Clark/Williams/Thompson teams; the Bonds teams; and now the Pitching teams).

The first permutation essentially had 3 seasons - '87, '89 and '93. They were a constant contender, but could never grasp the ring.

The second batch had some incredible performances, but always seemed more concerned with putting fannies in the seats and displaying the three-ring-circus that was Teh Lord.

This team seems more comparable to the Clark teams. This team is primarily home-grown and it has a definite personality. I just hope we are able to get Timmeh his ring before he walks like Clark did.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take.

I have been a fan since the mid 80s, so I have essentially seen 3 generations of Giants teams (the Clark/Williams/Thompson teams; the Bonds teams; and now the Pitching teams).

The first permutation essentially had 3 seasons - '87, '89 and '93. They were a constant contender, but could never grasp the ring.

The second batch had some incredible performances, but always seemed more concerned with putting fannies in the seats and displaying the three-ring-circus that was Teh Lord.

This team seems more comparable to the Clark teams. This team is primarily home-grown and it has a definite personality. I just hope we are able to get Timmeh his ring before he walks like Clark did.

Good call. The "You gotta like these kids" teams were the coolest thing to watch as a kid. Those guys had characters, too. Especially loved how much they wanted to beat the Cardinals.

1993 was the team to do it. Period. Stupid Rockies.

Maybe the Bonds teams were financially driven but I don't hold it against them. The Giants were so close to moving away from San Francisco because they didn't have enough money and I love the 'stick but its a dump.

Losing Timmy to free agency cannot happen. The Giants finally have financial maneuverability to keep him. Back in 93, the Giants could only afford Clark or Thompson, and while 20 hr hitting 2bs were rare back in those days - the Giants lost its heart and soul when they let Clark go.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some great replies. I've been a Giant fan (both NY and SF) for a little more than 55 years now. I have seen a Giant WS and I have seen success and a share of bitter disappointments. I've seen some great teams and some poor teams. It just seems to be cyclical in nature.

Getting here in 2010 is just fantastic. I've had a lot of fun this year. It's been torture at times but the sense involvement just over shadowed everything else.

I loved the early SF teams of Clark and company. I also loved the Bonds era. Disappointed that we never got Barry his ring but that's the way the game unfolded.

2010 is different. I can't put my finger on it. A great pitching staff supported by a cobbled together offense. People I counted on never really contributed and some I thought were stupid signings just took charge and carried this team when it was needed. I just love Huff and Burrell. I think they bring an energy to this team that will carry them quite far into the post season. How far? That's yet to be decided. This is a team with no real superstar to point to. It's a team that seems to play together as a unit with one common goal.

As another poster stated - I'll be very disappointed if we don't win it all - for about a week. Then I'll look back on the 2010 season and 'wow, this was a great year.'

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call. The "You gotta like these kids" teams were the coolest thing to watch as a kid. Those guys had characters, too. Especially loved how much they wanted to beat the Cardinals.

1993 was the team to do it. Period. Stupid Rockies.

Maybe the Bonds teams were financially driven but I don't hold it against them. The Giants were so close to moving away from San Francisco because they didn't have enough money and I love the 'stick but its a dump.

Losing Timmy to free agency cannot happen. The Giants finally have financial maneuverability to keep him. Back in 93, the Giants could only afford Clark or Thompson, and while 20 hr hitting 2bs were rare back in those days - the Giants lost its heart and soul when they let Clark go.

I agree that letting Clark walk in favor of McGee hurt the team, but in 20/20 hindsight, it was the right move. Clark's career took a nose-dive once he left the Giants.

Is it possible that Clark leaving SF hurt both the Giants AND him? Could it be that he lost his passion he had for the game after going through the way the org treated him in that FA season?

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that letting Clark walk in favor of McGee hurt the team, but in 20/20 hindsight, it was the right move. Clark's career took a nose-dive once he left the Giants.

Is it possible that Clark leaving SF hurt both the Giants AND him? Could it be that he lost his passion he had for the game after going through the way the org treated him in that FA season?

I would presume so.

He was a Giant through and through and the business side caused the break *maybe the ushering of the Bonds era also slighted him a bit - like Kent I don't think they got along..it was Will Clark's team and he no longer was the prized player after they signed Bonds.

His move to Texas was romanticized as a homecoming for him but I think it was more of a substitute for the home he left.