• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Future; The Article

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh.... I guess writers have dreams as well.
There is one of these I will take and say:

Let's say JP out hits Shed, and Kyle becomes the real Kyle,
Why not go target little Seagar for the shortstop spot, move JP to 2nd base and bam your top 1/3 of the lineup is set for a run or two.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some interesting things in there.

However I just get put off with the whole "We will spend when we are ready thing" Basically just says give us a pass which I dont think they've earned.

I've said they needed a top of the rotation arm from outside. The idea of Thor is great but who knows if he is still available in 2 years. Meaning does he get signed to an extension or dealt elsewhere this year and signed? The point is when guys are available now you need to consider that and not just wait because guys are projected to be available when you think you are ready.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some interesting things in there.

However I just get put off with the whole "We will spend when we are ready thing" Basically just says give us a pass which I dont think they've earned.

I've said they needed a top of the rotation arm from outside. The idea of Thor is great but who knows if he is still available in 2 years. Meaning does he get signed to an extension or dealt elsewhere this year and signed? The point is when guys are available now you need to consider that and not just wait because guys are projected to be available when you think you are ready.

Agreed!
It’s playing out like they are trying to re write the script on how you rebuild a roster

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always love the "We will spend when we show we are ready" attitude. Problem being once you show you are ready you can't sign until the following year and young guys tend to drastically change from one year to another. So you show in 2021 you are ready and you sign all the studs in 2022, those 2021 stars may pull an Ackley or name your Mariner rookie who regressed the following year.

Plus, if you intend to sign everyone the same offseason you don't think the agents for those players will smell the desperateness and make them overpay? Of course they will. They are already going to overcharge (see Cano deal vs Yankees offer) to come to the NW and play for one of the worst run franchises in baseball.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always love the "We will spend when we show we are ready" attitude. Problem being once you show you are ready you can't sign until the following year and young guys tend to drastically change from one year to another. So you show in 2021 you are ready and you sign all the studs in 2022, those 2021 stars may pull an Ackley or name your Mariner rookie who regressed the following year.

Plus, if you intend to sign everyone the same offseason you don't think the agents for those players will smell the desperateness and make them overpay? Of course they will. They are already going to overcharge (see Cano deal vs Yankees offer) to come to the NW and play for one of the worst run franchises in baseball.

Well plus, isn’t the CBA coming up as well? By the time it’s time to spend big on a FA or 2 I think the new CBA will be where the young prospects aren’t going to be making 400 thousand or whatever it is now for rookies and 2nd year guys.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well plus, isn’t the CBA coming up as well? By the time it’s time to spend big on a FA or 2 I think the new CBA will be where the young prospects aren’t going to be making 400 thousand or whatever it is now for rookies and 2nd year guys.

Probably so. Our luck they will put a salary cap in and the make it a million dollar less for every year that team hasn't made the playoffs...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably so. Our luck they will put a salary cap in and the make it a million dollar less for every year that team hasn't made the playoffs...

I think a salary cap is inevitable but it just depends on what the players get. It seems a lot of the non super star ones are pissed because they are getting shafted on salary up front and aren’t getting a payoff on the back end

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a salary cap is inevitable but it just depends on what the players get. It seems a lot of the non super star ones are pissed because they are getting shafted on salary up front and aren’t getting a payoff on the back end

They should be pissed. I thought I read how average salaries are down yet major salaries are through the roof.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should be pissed. I thought I read how average salaries are down yet major salaries are through the roof.

Well that was always the unspoken agreement that the MLBPA would screw the younger guys over to help the MLB owners only to make it up on the backside with outrageous contracts. MLB owners will not be allowed to screw the younger guys and then screw all but superstar players. The new age GM’s have done a good job of boxing the MLBPA into a needing a salary cap but there is going to be a hell of a fight for what that number is. Regardless of what pundits say MLB players make the least salary for their sport compared to other sports. What is the average salary for a player in baseball if the league minimum is 75k per game.