• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency So Far

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LS Clark Harris (1 year deal)
QB Brandon Allen (1 year deal)
WR Mike Thomas (1 year deal)
DT Josh Tupou (2 year deal)
OC Ted Karras (3 year deal)
OG Alex Cappa (4 year deal)
TE Hayden Hurst (1 year deal)
CB Eli Apple (1 year deal)

I thought I had heard we also resigned Fred Johnson and Kevin Huber somewhere. But I can't find that anywhere. Anyone else got reports I am unaware of?

La'el Collins coming in for a visit today! Don't let him leave Bengals!

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe reiff can play the other guard spot, if he gets hurt spain/carman or whoever can move up.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6agZTu8c_mini.png

Ben Baby

@Ben_Baby
Bengals projected starting offensive line for 222: LT — Williams LG — Carman C — Karras RG — Cappa RT — Collins

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6agZTu8c_mini.png

Ben Baby

@Ben_Baby
Bengals projected starting offensive line for 222: LT — Williams LG — Carman C — Karras RG — Cappa RT — Collins
I think if you were handicapping the race, that's how it will look.

I think Smith could be a dark horse candidate for that other OG spot, though.

Depending on how the draft breaks, there could also be a guy still coming in. Going to be some battles.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they re-sign Spain at LG, add a veteran CB and DT, and BPA at 31…really an A+ off-season in my opinion.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they re-sign Spain at LG, add a veteran CB and DT, and BPA at 31…really an A+ off-season in my opinion.
No thanks on Spain, unless it's strictly as a backup.

He rated in the 60's out of 68 qualifying guards in block win% in passing. At this point, I think you get a good long look at Carmen at LG. Smith will get a shot, too. Depending on how the draft breaks, we could still see 1 or 2 IOL drafted.

Need to know going into next year if they need to be replaced or not while building up some young depth. I'd rather take a look at the future considering that 4/5 of the line is not pretty solidly secure. Not to mention seeing the growth (potentially) of those guys now being around guys like Karras, Cappa, and Collins. A lot of veteran savvy to learn from.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Hakeem wins the starting job, he will be known as Hakeem the American Dream

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Hakeem wins the starting job, he will be known as Hakeem the American Dream
Winning the job and being competent is two totally different things. And if you consider incompetent the American Dream, eek. Nice rhyme though. :)

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Adeniji wins the job - LG is in more trouble than we thought. Adeniji was 67 of 68 qualifying guards last year.

That would be some dream if he won the job - and even more if he were competent in doing so.

My fear is that winning the job would actually just show how incompetent the other guys are - and that would not be a good thing.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Adeniji wins the job - LG is in more trouble than we thought. Adeniji was 67 of 68 qualifying guards last year.

That would be some dream if he won the job - and even more if he were competent in doing so.

My fear is that winning the job would actually just show how incompetent the other guys are - and that would not be a good thing.

Carman needs to convince them that he can do it with the line that we have. Some guys just don't play well when the people besides them are incompetent.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carman needs to convince them that he can do it with the line that we have. Some guys just don't play well when the people besides them are incompetent.
I think OL can be hard to come in and really adapt right away. And, as you said, it can be even harder when the guys around you aren't very good either.

I think he, and the other young OL, will all benefit greatly from being around 3 guys who know how to get the job done.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think OL can be hard to come in and really adapt right away. And, as you said, it can be even harder when the guys around you aren't very good either.

I think he, and the other young OL, will all benefit greatly from being around 3 guys who know how to get the job done.
They also asked him to switch positions and sides. I've heard some retired o-linemen say switching from left to right is like to trying to write left handed (if you are a righty). Hopefully, putting him back on the left side will make it a little easier on him.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carman played left guard during the second half of the regular season game against KC. On one play, late in the game, he was completely run over and put on his ass in the middle of the pocket. If I'm the coaching staff, this is what would scare me most.... Guys can miss blocks or guys can get beat. They cannot get put on their ass and threaten to fall on Burrow's knees. That's how Burrow had his knee ripped up the first time. A solid pro pass blocker shouldn't lose their feet in that situation. Hopefully he'll clean it up.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carman played left guard during the second half of the regular season game against KC. On one play, late in the game, he was completely run over and put on his ass in the middle of the pocket. If I'm the coaching staff, this is what would scare me most.... Guys can miss blocks or guys can get beat. They cannot get put on their ass and threaten to fall on Burrow's knees. That's how Burrow had his knee ripped up the first time. A solid pro pass blocker shouldn't lose their feet in that situation. Hopefully he'll clean it up.

I'm thinking that on a competent line, he may be ok. If the Bengals deemed him incapable, they might have already replaced him as a starter. I suspect they will draft at least one offensive lineman as well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that on a competent line, he may be ok. If the Bengals deemed him incapable, they might have already replaced him as a starter. I suspect they will draft at least one offensive lineman as well.
Draft is deep with depth at OL. Rounds 3-5 have some guys that could come in and be backups right now.

Unless someone absolutely falls to them at 31, I'm not sure I see them taking a OL in rounds 1-2, and even then - it will depend on what other players/positions are there as well.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft is deep with depth at OL. Rounds 3-5 have some guys that could come in and be backups right now.

Unless someone absolutely falls to them at 31, I'm not sure I see them taking a OL in rounds 1-2, and even then - it will depend on what other players/positions are there as well.
Only OL I think they consider with 31 if they fall is Linderbaum, Johnson and Green.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only OL I think they consider with 31 if they fall is Linderbaum, Johnson and Green.
Agreed, but I'd likely pass on all of them if someone like Elam was there...not only does he fill an immediate need, he's well graded for that pick as well...so it comes down to what the Bengals will prefer, but IMO with the depth of OL in this draft class - and knowing that Carmen is getting every shot to play LG - I think they would love to go with defense if the right guy is there - or even trade down.

One guy I really like is the DT from UConn, Jones...he played NT for them, but I think he could really be an upgrade as a 3-tech guy next to Reader. His pressure rate was actually very good for a NT, and I think would be even better as a 3-tech. Plus, he would also be a big body that can also stop the run as well. Perfect trade off for pairing him with Hill as the "rush" DT, and even with Hendrickson, and the return of Ossai, and others, that allows a guy like Hubbard to slide in at DT on other rushing downs, or you can even use Jones as another DE in a 3-3-5 setting who can hold up against the run while offering some good pass-rush in certain packages.

I don't think he's a 31st pick guy - so he would be a target if the Bengals were able to trade down assuming no one is really there at 31 - pick up another late 3rd potentially, or likely a 4th - and then you can tap into some of that depth this draft offers.