• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency 2023

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ok, not the time to think about 2023, but at least I can reference it later. :-)

49ers unrestricted free agents. Some are no longer with the team and of course, some we already know won't be pursued.​

• QB Jimmy Garoppolo
  • EDGE Samson Ebukam
  • CB Emmanuel Moseley
  • RT Mike McGlinchey
  • LB Azeez Al-Shaair
  • K Robbie Gould
  • OL Daniel Brunskill
  • QB Nate Sudfeld
  • DT Hassan Ridgeway
  • EDGE Kemoko Turay
  • DE Kerry Hyder Jr
  • TE Tyler Kroft
  • EDGE Jordan Willis
  • WR Malik Turner
  • DL Maurice Hurst
  • RB Jeff Wilson Jr.
  • LS Taybor Pepper
  • TE Ross Dwelley
  • WR Marcus Johnson
  • OL Jake Brendel
  • TE Jordan Matthews
  • CB Jason Verrett
  • TE Troy Fumagalli
  • CB Ka’dar Hollman
  • DB Tarvarius Moore
  • P Mitch Wishnowsky
  • LB Dre Greenlaw
  • DE Charles Omenihu
  • OL Justin Skule
  • S Jimmie Ward

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jake Brendel made the Pro Bowl, that'll cost us more. :-)

Nah, not complaining because having a capable Center is a good thing.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greenlaw shouldn't be on that list. He signed an extension.

Gonna be the toughest (i mean most expensive) to keep Ward, I think. He's having a pretty good year and he's actually been fairly durable for a change.

It's amazing how many Dlinemen we brought in on 1 year deals for this season. I wonder if Turay will even want to resign in SF b/c he didn't really get any PT this year despite having a good TC (IIRC, his PT suffered b/c he wasn't a ST player and couldn't play any DT). Though if we don't bring back Ebukam, and we're likely to be lose a few other Edge players, he might come back b/c he'll have more of a chance at PT.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to OTC, we've got 16.5M in cap space this offseason.

With the offseason upon us, who are the most important Free Agents we've got to spend that money on?

Ward will be the key FA imo. The most expensive and the most important. He was VERY good this season at both safety and NCB--and he was surprisingly durable for change. I know he didn't like playing NCB, but there is no denying that he was easily our best NCB and his play there changed our defense. Not sure on what his market will be.

Right behind Ward has to be Brendel at center. He wasn't great by any means and I am stunned that he was a PB alternate, but he was good enough and it's not like we've got any real depth at center. These two guys, Ward and Brendel will probably eat up most of our cap space this offseason.

Moseley, coming off an injury, should be rather easy to resign to a short deal. I can't see some other team paying him big bucks.

Just look at how many DEs will be FAs: Ebukam, Omenihu, Willis, Hyder, Turay. That's practically all of them except for Bosa and Jackson! I could see us bringing back Willis and Omenihu (assuming his arrest clears up) as depth and giving Jackson more PT--it was a disturbing trend to see him deactivated later in the season, as that doens't speak well of the coaches' confidence in him.

And both Wishnowsky and Gould are free agents. Gould won't be as cheap as you think, but a good PK is worth a lot of money. Considering the number of close games we were in this season, a good kicker is a good investment.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to OTC, we've got 16.5M in cap space this offseason.

With the offseason upon us, who are the most important Free Agents we've got to spend that money on?

Ward will be the key FA imo. The most expensive and the most important. He was VERY good this season at both safety and NCB--and he was surprisingly durable for change. I know he didn't like playing NCB, but there is no denying that he was easily our best NCB and his play there changed our defense. Not sure on what his market will be.

Right behind Ward has to be Brendel at center. He wasn't great by any means and I am stunned that he was a PB alternate, but he was good enough and it's not like we've got any real depth at center. These two guys, Ward and Brendel will probably eat up most of our cap space this offseason.

Moseley, coming off an injury, should be rather easy to resign to a short deal. I can't see some other team paying him big bucks.

Just look at how many DEs will be FAs: Ebukam, Omenihu, Willis, Hyder, Turay. That's practically all of them except for Bosa and Jackson! I could see us bringing back Willis and Omenihu (assuming his arrest clears up) as depth and giving Jackson more PT--it was a disturbing trend to see him deactivated later in the season, as that doens't speak well of the coaches' confidence in him.

And both Wishnowsky and Gould are free agents. Gould won't be as cheap as you think, but a good PK is worth a lot of money. Considering the number of close games we were in this season, a good kicker is a good investment.
With JG coming off the books, i'd have thought we'd have more than $16.5M? Anyway, Bosa will take some of that but not all.

I'd think we'll TRY to re-sign:
  • EDGE Samson Ebukam
  • CB Emmanuel Moseley
  • RT Mike McGlinchey
  • DT Hassan Ridgeway
  • P Mitch Wishnowsky
  • DE Charles Omenihu
  • S Jimmie Ward

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With JG coming off the books, i'd have thought we'd have more than $16.5M? Anyway, Bosa will take some of that but not all.

I'd think we'll TRY to re-sign:
  • EDGE Samson Ebukam
  • CB Emmanuel Moseley
  • RT Mike McGlinchey
  • DT Hassan Ridgeway
  • P Mitch Wishnowsky
  • DE Charles Omenihu
  • S Jimmie Ward
I think McGlinchey is gone. He's gonna be one of the best tackles on the market this year and there will be plenty of teams with lots of cap space who will want him. I think we'll be priced out of his market pretty quickly.

Even though Ward is going to be 32 this summer, I think he'll have a robust market too. I could see Ryans trying to poach him and some of our other free agents to the Texans.

Ridgeway was very underrated and he was missed inside for sure--he seemed more effective than Kinlaw. He'd be a good resigning and shouldn't be too expensive.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And...maybe Brady:

"I think they will trade Trey Lance to Tennessee and then they will end up with Brady and Brady will play one year for his home team, and they will have Brock Purdy as the backup," an NFL executive told Sando. "That is the chatter. They have the defense already, Brady wants to win one more, and this is right up the 49ers' alley."

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think McGlinchey is gone. He's gonna be one of the best tackles on the market this year and there will be plenty of teams with lots of cap space who will want him. I think we'll be priced out of his market pretty quickly.

Even though Ward is going to be 32 this summer, I think he'll have a robust market too. I could see Ryans trying to poach him and some of our other free agents to the Texans.

Ridgeway was very underrated and he was missed inside for sure--he seemed more effective than Kinlaw. He'd be a good resigning and shouldn't be too expensive.
Yeah i guess so. OT's are hard to get so someone will overpay for McGlinchey. Funny to think he's the best FA OT out there. haaa

Yep, at his age Ward should just take the big money. It might be tempting to stay and get that ring, but too many things can happen.

If Ridgeway can be that anchor, great. Fortunately, you don't typically spend a high pick on NT, they aren't every down players. We still don't know about Khalia Davis? I know he isn't the biggest guy and maybe he's more 3-tech than NT? But DJ Jones wasn't massive either.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And...maybe Brady:

"I think they will trade Trey Lance to Tennessee and then they will end up with Brady and Brady will play one year for his home team, and they will have Brock Purdy as the backup," an NFL executive told Sando. "That is the chatter. They have the defense already, Brady wants to win one more, and this is right up the 49ers' alley."
I saw on Youtube that Purdy isn't guaranteed to heal well? If he 'heals', then no guarantee he can throw like now? Unless the 2nd medical opinion comes back otherwise, Lynch has to assume Purdy isn't available. He has to take the approach 3 QB's need to learn the system beginning from OTA.

Trey Lance has to be the QB going forward, if he was good enough this past season why wouldn't he be now? I'm not for Brady because he'd distract from Lance and delay Lance even more. We don't even need to get into Brady's ability at this age, nor his cap impact.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw on Youtube that Purdy isn't guaranteed to heal well? If he 'heals', then no guarantee he can throw like now? Unless the 2nd medical opinion comes back otherwise, Lynch has to assume Purdy isn't available. He has to take the approach 3 QB's need to learn the system beginning from OTA.

Trey Lance has to be the QB going forward, if he was good enough this past season why wouldn't he be now? I'm not for Brady because he'd distract from Lance and delay Lance even more. We don't even need to get into Brady's ability at this age, nor his cap impact.
Why wouldn't Lance be the QB now? Probably b/c the FO has seen what they have in Purdy. If Lance can't play as well as a 7th rd rookie, the team is trouble with Lance under center.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why wouldn't Lance be the QB now? Probably b/c the FO has seen what they have in Purdy. If Lance can't play as well as a 7th rd rookie, the team is trouble with Lance under center.
You're assuming Purdy will come back healthy and be the 'same' by TC (or so). I'm assuming he won't be back in time based on what we know TODAY. I'm not saying start Lance over a healthy Purdy, am saying until Purdy comes back healthy and is able to throw, Lance and the offense should be preparing from OTA on. As OTA moves to TC and Pre-Season, no problem with Purdy being the starter IF he's the same?

So until we know more about Purdy's progress they have to prepare as though he won't play. As posted earlier, i saw on Youtube that this type of injury isn't a guarantee. He may return but not have the same arm strength which we all know wasn't a cannon to begin with. Preparing means signing a FA and maybe even drafting another late round QB? The free agent QB will be a low end vet due to cap but after seeing our 4th QB get knocked out, assume the worse meanwhile. Yes, this doesn't guarantee our back-up QB is "set", but at least you have QB's learning the system early.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With brady retiring, that means Jimmy's market might just have gotten a little bigger. We know he's not going to go to a team that will draft a rookie, ala the TExans, so where is he gonna land?

Carolina--will they draft one? If not a Jimmy, will they go with the other vet QBs out there? After getting burned on Darnold and Mayfield, will they want to risk another vet?

Tampa - no brady and they have talent. But will they have enough cap space to sign Jimmy, as they are currently 55M over the cap

Tennessee--what will they do with Tannehill? Replacing him with Jimmy wouldn't make a lot of sense. Might as well keep Tannehill.

New Orleans - another team that is way over the cap (57M over), so they probably don't have the space to sign Jimmy

Indy--has cap space and has some talent, particularly on defense. But will they be gun shy after crapping out on Wentz and Ryan? Will they go with a draft pick instead?

New York Jets--they've got talent and are looking to win now. Saleh knows Jimmy from their time in SF. This could be where Carr lands too.

Las Vegas--with Carr getting the boot in Vegas, Jimmy could slide right in. He's got weapons and the HC knows JImmy from their time in NE. Is Jimmy really an upgrade over Carr? Would they try and trade for Aaron Rodgers instead?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our center, Brendel, is a free agent. Well, we're not alone in that. In case we lose Brendel, there will be several other centers who are hitting free agency:

Jets: Connor McGovern
Vikings: Garrett Bradbury
Browns: Ethan Pocic
Panthers: Bradley Bozeman

If Brendel turns out to be too expensive, maybe we could land one of these guys.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With brady retiring, that means Jimmy's market might just have gotten a little bigger. We know he's not going to go to a team that will draft a rookie, ala the TExans, so where is he gonna land?

Carolina--will they draft one? If not a Jimmy, will they go with the other vet QBs out there? After getting burned on Darnold and Mayfield, will they want to risk another vet?

Tampa - no brady and they have talent. But will they have enough cap space to sign Jimmy, as they are currently 55M over the cap

Tennessee--what will they do with Tannehill? Replacing him with Jimmy wouldn't make a lot of sense. Might as well keep Tannehill.

New Orleans - another team that is way over the cap (57M over), so they probably don't have the space to sign Jimmy

Indy--has cap space and has some talent, particularly on defense. But will they be gun shy after crapping out on Wentz and Ryan? Will they go with a draft pick instead?

New York Jets--they've got talent and are looking to win now. Saleh knows Jimmy from their time in SF. This could be where Carr lands too.

Las Vegas--with Carr getting the boot in Vegas, Jimmy could slide right in. He's got weapons and the HC knows JImmy from their time in NE. Is Jimmy really an upgrade over Carr? Would they try and trade for Aaron Rodgers instead?
Someone on Youtube said JG will end up being a back-up. Sorry forgot which talking head said this, but it was a National pundit.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our center, Brendel, is a free agent. Well, we're not alone in that. In case we lose Brendel, there will be several other centers who are hitting free agency:

Jets: Connor McGovern
Vikings: Garrett Bradbury
Browns: Ethan Pocic
Panthers: Bradley Bozeman

If Brendel turns out to be too expensive, maybe we could land one of these guys.
Oh this is good because unlike McGlichey, Brendel has less options meaning lower cost. Brendel won't be a bargain regardless, but at least he won't be way overpaid like McGlinchey.

With all these draft picks, they should target a Center for beyond next season. Yes, the odds are low we draft a solid starting Center, but you have to try.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Offense wins championships in 2023 -- not defense. The past two Super Bowl champions had defenses that ranked 16th and 15th out of 32 teams, respectively. And the top two defenses in the NFL this past season, which belonged to the 49ers and the Eagles, gave up a combined 82 points to the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs.

The 49ers need to focus on their offense, which is good, but not good enough. They have a good running back, a good fullback, a good tight end, two good wide receivers and a good left tackle. But the 49ers don't have a particularly good offensive line."

AGREE! It wasn't too long ago when i was firmly on "defense wins championships", but that time has passed. The rules now favor the QB and receivers, so you need more offense. This isn't to say you don't need any defense, but your offense needs to take advantage of the passing rules For example, we don't get too many PI's in our favor because we don't throw it far enough. We did get a few when Purdy started because he was willing to throw it.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Gould is leaving.

Niner insider, Matt Barrows, says he thinks Gould ends up back with San Fran despite what Gould had to say.

"And so I think it's a better than 50/50 chance that he's back with the 49ers. That's just my call. I don't know any secret sauce, but that's my guess."

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners resign OT Colton McKivitz to a 2yr deal. He was set to be a RFA. It's looking like he'll get a chance to replace McGlinchey at RT this season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners resign OT Colton McKivitz to a 2yr deal. He was set to be a RFA. It's looking like he'll get a chance to replace McGlinchey at RT this season.
It'll be hard to sign a decent RT via free agency, so looking in-house this makes sense cap wise.

We'll likely draft an OT too, but he'll need time to develop.

Last season we were all concerned with Banks, Brendel, and Burford, but they did ok. Not great but ok, McKivitz just needs to start out "ok", not be an 'instant' weak spot.