• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Frank Clark - First Salary Cap Casualty

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Wilson? This is Russ' fault?

This is flat out dumb!! Sorry dude, the Hawks have an elite QB who deserved his contract 10x more than the contract Frank Clark just received. Enough of this what would Brady do because while we are on the subject the team Brady plays for constantly trades their stars demanding worldly sized contracts just has the Hawks just did and I think their doing alright. This is the FIRST time Seattle traded away one of their stars rather than paying them, and considering Frank got basically what Russ did in guarantees means he would have been the one to hog tie our cap not Russ. Both of them got QB money except only one of them is worth QB money........the QB.

Frank was a great talent, but make no mistake we got maximum value for him. He was a late 2nd rounder that we spent around $10million over three years for and just turned him into a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd swap. We can't keep everyone that's how this works, and when you can turn in the casualty for what we just got its good business.
Tell him, 8. And a players strike won't lower salaries. If anything, a player's strike will probably result in fully guaranteed contracts, just like MLB and NBA players get.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL games really aren't some family setting. Lots of drunks, some fights, plenty of vulgarity, etc. If Average Joe is looking for a nice family outing, maybe a baseball game is better.

Besides, the market sets the price, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Sorry Average Joe, maybe you should have worked a little harder in school to get a better job! Maybe if you stopped buying those ridiculously expensive cigarettes, Average Joe, you could afford more stuff for your family! Average Joe just had to have that shiny new truck that commands a monthly payment that rivals a mortgage! Joe says he can't take his kids to a game, but he's out drinking with his buddies on Friday night. Maybe I'm cold and heartless, but I just have no sympathy for people who complain about not being able to afford to go to a sporting event. It's about priorities, not shortage of money or "out of control" player salaries.

raw

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks in part to Wilson's massive contract, Frank Clark is gone. Will Bobby Wagner be next?
Greed kills teams, Thanks Wilson! This is also in part why New England wins year in and year out. Brady doesn't try to break the bank and for that he has 6 rings.

Yeah...sign of the times, more than greed I think.

It's really the same situation SEA was in several years ago when RW was on his rookie contract...'Hawks were able to lock up several key DEF players. KC has a QB on a rookie deal, thus able to somewhat overpay a top shelf DE nearing the end of his prime...doubt SEA could've offered Clark that kind of money even if they didn't extend RW right now.

While I would like to give kudos to Brady for leaving money on the table, but he's the only QB, maybe the only player in the league with a wife that earns more than he does...so he has a luxury that not many other players, if any have.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...sign of the times, more than greed I think.

It's really the same situation SEA was in several years ago when RW was on his rookie contract...'Hawks were able to lock up several key DEF players. KC has a QB on a rookie deal, thus able to somewhat overpay a top shelf DE nearing the end of his prime...doubt SEA could've offered Clark that kind of money even if they didn't extend RW right now.

While I would like to give kudos to Brady for leaving money on the table, but he's the only QB, maybe the only player in the league with a wife that earns more than he does...so he has a luxury that not many other players, if any have.

RW's wife only makes 20 million a year... RW is the bread winner in his family... ;)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW's wife only makes 20 million a year... RW is the bread winner in his family... ;)

IDK who she is, but that's some nice coin too.

Maybe he could've left a few crumbs on the table...that would not have been enough to satisfy Clark though.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK who she is, but that's some nice coin too.

Maybe he could've left a few crumbs on the table...that would not have been enough to satisfy Clark though.

Ciara... She's a pop star singer...

th

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL games really aren't some family setting. Lots of drunks, some fights, plenty of vulgarity, etc. If Average Joe is looking for a nice family outing, maybe a baseball game is better.

Besides, the market sets the price, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Sorry Average Joe, maybe you should have worked a little harder in school to get a better job! Maybe if you stopped buying those ridiculously expensive cigarettes, Average Joe, you could afford more stuff for your family! Average Joe just had to have that shiny new truck that commands a monthly payment that rivals a mortgage! Joe says he can't take his kids to a game, but he's out drinking with his buddies on Friday night. Maybe I'm cold and heartless, but I just have no sympathy for people who complain about not being able to afford to go to a sporting event. It's about priorities, not shortage of money or "out of control" player salaries.

Plus, tickets to Hawks games 3 years ago, peak golden era, were available for ~$80-$100. If Average Joe can't spare $200 to take Little Average Joey to a football game, that family isn't average and therefore should be more worried about putting food on the table than attending an event they can watch for free on broadcast TV.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, tickets to Hawks games 3 years ago, peak golden era, were available for ~$80-$100. If Average Joe can't spare $200 to take Little Average Joey to a football game, that family isn't average and therefore should be more worried about putting food on the table than attending an event they can watch for free on broadcast TV.
Well, around that time I could sell mine for double face value or very close to it so if I really thought it was "too expensive" to go, I could sell 4 games and go to the other 4 for essentially for free. But that's only because I was smart enough to buy in 17 years ago when the team was not good and hold onto them even though I was in the military and hardly ever able to go to even 1 game a year. Eventually the demand is probably going to bleed a bit, but I doubt that happens while RW is here.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easier to be an "average Joe" and take your kids to a game in a lot of cities that aren't Seattle. Last time I went to a Hawks home game (2 years ago) my seats cost me about $575 each. Expensive I know, but my company basically pays for them so I didn't care. On the other hand I've gone to the Hawk's games in Phoenix every year for the past 5 years in a row and I can always find really good seats for around $100 each in Phoenix. So it's not just players salaries that are driving ticket prices. Much of it has to do with demand, and the best teams demand a higher price. C'est la vie.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you to all my fellow fans who explained this to the OP. Not sure if he can grasp the rationale behind it but at least you tried. Nothing much else I can add other than my agreement that Clark isn't worth anywhere near that contract. As for guys that can get to QB's, I could be wrong but there seems to be a lot of them getting churned out by colleges these days. It is the "hot take" way to make big bucks in the pros. Just a couple decades ago, LB was it. I don't see a lot of difficulty replenishing Clarks production for a lot less money. I could be wrong there. We'll see. I also don't see the team hamstrung in any way. As said, let's worry about getting our HOF ILB locked up and take care of Reed. Far more valuable than Clark and we made out great in the Clark deal.

As for going to games live, I have never had the experience and im all likelihood, never will. But I enjoy watching from the comfort of my couch anyway. Yes, it is a little pricy but RW getting big bucks or not, that will always hold true. It's a luxury. Either you can afford it or not.

Just my 2 cents and oops, I rambled on a bit. Sorry fellas. Cheers guys.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont see the seahawks winning a superbowl with the expectation of wilson leading us there and winning it. I have seen this offense struggle to get going way to many times. With that being said I think we will be a very competitive team and compete for a NFC West title maybe the cap of around 11 wins win a playoff game maybe 2 but I think that is where we can hope to be.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Frank Clark trade gave Seahawks general manager John Schneider a first-round pick that allowed him to maneuver a series of draft-day trades and bring Seattle’s number of draft choices from a league-fewest four picks to a second-most 11.
And even though losing Clark could be a major setback, the $17.1 million cap savings gave Schneider the room to bring in six street free agents, including two who might be starters.

Quarterback Geno Smith signed on Wednesday, and though his numbers aren’t posted, you figure that it is probably a minimum salary deal that likely includes a $90,000 signing bonus. If that’s true, the Seahawks spent a little less than $15 million this year for a starting defensive end, a possible starter as an early down run-stopper, a fullback-special teams ace, a veteran slot cornerback, a backup quarterback to compete against Paxton Lynch, and a backup guard – and in total, Schneider turned one big trade into 13 players, including seven additional draft choices.

Pretty dang impressive... Clayton: What the Seahawks truly got for Frank Clark