• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Frank Clark - First Salary Cap Casualty

snoopgoofdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks in part to Wilson's massive contract, Frank Clark is gone. Will Bobby Wagner be next?
Greed kills teams, Thanks Wilson! This is also in part why New England wins year in and year out. Brady doesn't try to break the bank and for that he has 6 rings.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks in part to Wilson's massive contract, Frank Clark is gone. Will Bobby Wagner be next?
Greed kills teams, Thanks Wilson! This is also in part why New England wins year in and year out. Brady doesn't try to break the bank and for that he has 6 rings.

You think we should have paid 105 million dollars to Frank Clark?

snoopgoofdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think we should have paid 105 million dollars to Frank Clark?
Not necessarily, however there would have been a little more negotiating room.
I actually hope for a strike to occur at the end of this season. These monster contracts are out of control.
Average Joe cannot even think of affording to take their families anymore.

snoopgoofdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason the Seahawks were a championship team was because of Wilsons rookie contract.
They could actually afford to get other players.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason the Seahawks were a championship team was because of Wilsons rookie contract.

Very true, but we're not in that boat anymore. Top 5 QB is going to command money and that's just part of the times. In a year or two Goff, Wentz and Maholms will be making more.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily, however there would have been a little more negotiating room.
I actually hope for a strike to occur at the end of this season. These monster contracts are out of control.

The Seahawks COULD have offered him that contract. But they were never going to do that.

A player strike isn't going to lower prices.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that the Seahawks would spent that kind of money on ANY non-QB.

You might be right but with the cap going up and up each year it might happen at some point soon.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks Wilson? This is Russ' fault?

This is flat out dumb!! Sorry dude, the Hawks have an elite QB who deserved his contract 10x more than the contract Frank Clark just received. Enough of this what would Brady do because while we are on the subject the team Brady plays for constantly trades their stars demanding worldly sized contracts just has the Hawks just did and I think their doing alright. This is the FIRST time Seattle traded away one of their stars rather than paying them, and considering Frank got basically what Russ did in guarantees means he would have been the one to hog tie our cap not Russ. Both of them got QB money except only one of them is worth QB money........the QB.

Frank was a great talent, but make no mistake we got maximum value for him. He was a late 2nd rounder that we spent around $10million over three years for and just turned him into a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd swap. We can't keep everyone that's how this works, and when you can turn in the casualty for what we just got its good business.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wanted to keep clark, but to be fair, the patriots have traded players in their prime religiously.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Wilson's contract really factored into this.

Let's list some reasons:

1) Most important: Frank Clark is NOT worth top 3 money for a non-QB position in the NFL. The only two higher paid players? Aaron Donald (#1 DT) and Khalil Mack (#2 EDGE). Clark is not even top 15 at this point... his ceiling is high in one respect because he's 25-26, so I'll extend an olive branch there. Lawrence is a better DE, was paid less, and Dee Ford had a better season (according to PFF and just plain stats) than Clark, yet was paid FAR less. Granted you have injury/age to concern with, but whatever. Clark is also another off field issue away from a long suspension - kind of funny the Chiefs cut Hunt and are dealing with Hill and yet signed Clark.

2) Seattle HAD 4 draft picks (only 2 in the top 100 giving us mandatory options to trade down in a DL stacked class). We have holes at WR, TE, OL, DL (Clark or not), CB, and possibly S. 4 picks is unacceptable. If you're paying a QB massive money, you HAVE to supplement and hit via draft. More picks = higher % chance of success.

3) Cap room. Chiefs are on cheap-o mode. Seattle needs to resign the #1 ILB in the NFL next year (likely $15M per) and if Reed improves that will likely be another $15M+). Clark is unaffordable.

4) Wilson is BY FAR a more valuable asset than Clark. Clark don't get me wrong was a reason this team competed in 2017, 2018 seasons, but Wilson is what willed this team to the playoffs in 18-19 and if it wasn't for a shitty kicker would've made it in 17-18. There was zero offensive line/RB support in 2017 and barely any receiving/TE support in 2018-19.

5) Wagner and I'd argue Reed (if he improves) are also a by far more valuable asset than Clark. Wagner is the heart/soul of the D and it's REAL funny how Clark had a breakout year when Reed all the sudden started getting mass pressure. Seattle's D ranked top 10 or near it the last 4 years... I DOUBT that was entirely because of Clark.

6) Clark was in a contract year. I'm NOT a fan of giving HUGE extensions to players who performed the BEST in their contract year. It's easy for them to get fat/happy and never amount to what you signed them for.

7) We have Rasheem Green - now while this guy might not do anything, I'll keep my hopes up. Seattle drafted him KNOWING he was not going to start in his rookie year. Green was drafted at 20 years old, and was a project player. Seattle may be able to get something here because if Green returned to school and improved he'd have likely been a 1st/2nd round pick regardless.

8) Seattle's core pieces can be locked up and are young enough for a 4-5 more years. The Rams are about to hit cap hell with Goff soon... and the Rams couldn't even field a better defense than Seattle in 2018-19... so let them ride out their stupid overrated 'the 5 year old traded all the high Madden rated players to a team' D and whatever.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You look up the term "Market Value" and get back to us. :L

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I vote a thumbs up on the trade.
It drops $17M off the books and improves our draft opportunities dramatically.
I realize it knocks a big hole in our pass rush.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting beyond the hyperbole, you're saying the only way a team can win a SB is if their QB is not making big money?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL games really aren't some family setting. Lots of drunks, some fights, plenty of vulgarity, etc. If Average Joe is looking for a nice family outing, maybe a baseball game is better.

Besides, the market sets the price, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Sorry Average Joe, maybe you should have worked a little harder in school to get a better job! Maybe if you stopped buying those ridiculously expensive cigarettes, Average Joe, you could afford more stuff for your family! Average Joe just had to have that shiny new truck that commands a monthly payment that rivals a mortgage! Joe says he can't take his kids to a game, but he's out drinking with his buddies on Friday night. Maybe I'm cold and heartless, but I just have no sympathy for people who complain about not being able to afford to go to a sporting event. It's about priorities, not shortage of money or "out of control" player salaries.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL games really aren't some family setting. Lots of drunks, some fights, plenty of vulgarity, etc. If Average Joe is looking for a nice family outing, maybe a baseball game is better.

Besides, the market sets the price, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Sorry Average Joe, maybe you should have worked a little harder in school to get a better job! Maybe if you stopped buying those ridiculously expensive cigarettes, Average Joe, you could afford more stuff for your family! Average Joe just had to have that shiny new truck that commands a monthly payment that rivals a mortgage! Joe says he can't take his kids to a game, but he's out drinking with his buddies on Friday night. Maybe I'm cold and heartless, but I just have no sympathy for people who complain about not being able to afford to go to a sporting event. It's about priorities, not shortage of money or "out of control" player salaries.
If I could retweet this I would, spot on!

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks value on Clark was a massive 17-18 million a year. That is what the FT would pay him and they wanted to work out a deal in that range. Remember Clark and his agent said " if they FT us we are fine with that" and once they were FT he refused to sign it. He spent to much time around Bennett and it poisoned him, glad he is gone even though i wish he wasn't. The Picks are nice but not paying 21 mill a year is even better. That is WAY OVER THE TOP for Clark and his production, you are no JJ Watt and have never had more than 13 sacks in a season. Great player and great asset to the team but a great ass it seems in the mental department. Sucks to lose "YOUNG" studs but best to drop the cancer before he can continue the poison that Bennett fed into that Locker room.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amen, brother! :suds: