• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former White Sox Pitcher Whistle Blows About Cheating With Cameras

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the 1980's. Fine them and take their draft picks away.

In all seriousness, everyone knows that stealing signs has been going on as long as the game has been around. But its pretty remarkable how long this level of cheating has been happening, and its only now coming out.

Wonder how much this would have hurt La Russa's hall of fame candidacy had the news come out long ago.

Former MLB pitcher Jack McDowell alleges '80s White Sox, Tony La Russa cheated with camera

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former MLB pitcher and 1993 AL Cy Young winner Jack McDowell alleged in a radio appearance Friday morning that the White Sox had an illegal sign-stealing operation at old Comiskey Park in the late 1980s, and that Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa was the instigator of the scheme.

Speaking to WFNZ-AM in Charlotte, where he serves as baseball coach for Queens University, McDowell said the White Sox had a camera zoomed in on opposing catchers and a light in an outfield Gatorade sign that could be controlled from the manager's office and would presumably let hitters know which pitches were coming.

"I'm going to whistle-blow this thing now because I'm getting tired of this crap," McDowell told the station.

RIVERA: MLB must be consistent in sign-stealing punishments

McDowell then said that La Russa, who managed the White Sox from 1979 to 1986, was the one who had the system installed. McDowell debuted with Chicago in 1987, the season after La Russa left.

"He was also the head of the first team ... with people doing steroids," McDowell said, referencing La Russa's decade-long stint as manager of the Oakland A's, which included managing infamous steroid users Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire. "Yet he's still in the game making half a million. No one's gonna go after that."

La Russa worked the past two seasons in a front-office role with the Red Sox (who are also under investigation on allegations of illegal sign-stealing) after a stint in a similar role with the Diamondbacks. He was recently hired by the Angels as a senior adviser. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2014 after a stellar managerial career that included three World Series titles — one with the A's and two with the Cardinals.

"This stuff's getting old, where they target certain guys and let other people off the hook," McDowell said. " ... Everybody who's been around the game knows all this stuff."

McDowell's comments on the '80s White Sox came as he explained that illegal sign-stealing has been happening for decades, but that players, managers and MLB itself have collectively decided to look the other way, much like the steroid era.

"Nobody wants to throw anybody under the bus," he said.

These allegations are the latest act in a sign-stealing drama that has enveloped MLB. Just this week, Astros mananger AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow were each suspended for a year — and later fired — as punishment for Houston's illegal sign-stealing in recent seasons. Fallout from the Astros' case extended to the Red Sox, who parted ways with manager Alex Cora because of his involvment in Houston's cheating as a bench coach during the 2017 season (and presumably for his yet-to-be announced role in the alleged misdeeds the Red Sox committed). Ripples also extended to New York, where the Mets and new manager Carlos Beltran ended their relationship before it really began after Beltran was named in MLB's report on the Astros' cheating for his actions as a player in 2017.

McDowell, a three-time All-Star, pitched in parts of 12 MLB seasons with the White Sox, Yankees, Indians and Angels, compiling a career record of 127-87 with a 3.85 ERA and 27.8 bWAR. In his 1993 Cy Young season, McDowell went 22-10 with a 3.37 ERA and 4.4 bWAR. He's been coaching at Queens since 2018.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the 1980's. Fine them and take their draft picks away.

In all seriousness, everyone knows that stealing signs has been going on as long as the game has been around. But its pretty remarkable how long this level of cheating has been happening, and its only now coming out.

Wonder how much this would have hurt La Russa's hall of fame candidacy had the news come out long ago.

Former MLB pitcher Jack McDowell alleges '80s White Sox, Tony La Russa cheated with camera
stealing signs is legal

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the news of the Astros and Red Sox being punished (well no word on Sawx yet) we will be hearing a lot more about stealing signs

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stealing signs is legal
Pretty sure using cams is not. I don't think anyone cares about stealing signs as long as technology isn't being used live during at-bats

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure using cams is not. I don't think anyone cares about stealing signs as long as technology isn't being used live during at-bats
sure, but were there rules against it back then? seems to me its only been more recent (last decade or so) where theyve become aware of the need to curb electronic means like apple watches etc.
im curious how the rule was written in 79.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure, but were there rules against it back then? seems to me its only been more recent (last decade or so) where theyve become aware of the need to curb electronic means like apple watches etc.
im curious how the rule was written in 79.
That's a good point. No clue what the rules were back then. But even if there weren't rules on it yet, I would bet most fans would look down upon it if they found out about it while it was happening.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly didn't like Yankee fans either. As you can see, the feeling was mutual.

download (25).jpg

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck em, hang em high.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lord knows the White Sox haven’t been stealing signs the last decade.