• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fordmans food stuffs

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was thinking earlier,as I was digging around trying to find my brisket rub recipe, that I should write all this crap down in one place on the computer. Well...why not on the hoop? I always know the address and maybe others will fix my jacked up recipes or steal one of em for their own. So read through and realize this is a work in progress. As I get time, I'll enter in my methods and recipes...maybe.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was thinking earlier,as I was digging around trying to find my brisket rub recipe, that I should write all this crap down in one place on the computer. Well...why not on the hoop? I always know the address and maybe others will fix my jacked up recipes or steal one of em for their own. So read through and realize this is a work in progress. As I get time, I'll enter in my methods and recipes...maybe.

Good gawd son, get over yourself and share...otherwise just poop and get off the pot already!

Dryrub recipes are a dime a dozen and ALL are equally as good. :suds::yahoo::whistle:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brisket rub and method

3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne powder

Pretty basic, makes plenty for an average sized brisket (a whole one with flat and point). If just doing a flat, maybe cut this in half. Since my 2 year old loves to eat this, I cut the cayenne in half to be safe.

After I mix it all up in a bowl, I put it in my coffee/spice grinder and cut it into a fine powder. Found that absorbs a lot better. I attach it to the meat with a good thick layer of yellow mustard.

I cook my brisket 1.5 hours per pound, and that is the purchased weight and not the post-trimmed weight. I have a 10# right now on the counter
IMG_2589_zpsdcbcbd2e.jpg

I'll put it on the smoker with a 75/25 hickory/pecan and let that go untouched at 225 for 6 hours. At that point it will have busted through the stall and should be around 160. If not, I'll actually wait for 160-170 degrees. At that point I triple wrap it in heavy duty foil, and pour about 3/4 a can of beef broth into the foil with it. Don't pour it over the meat or it might wash off the rub...just pour it down the side of the foil. Seal her up and back in the smoker until it hit 197 degrees. I look for that number on the dot.

When it hits 197, it comes out and the whole thing gets wrapped in a towel and put either in the oven (if free) or a cooler for at least 3 hours. When the 3 hours is up I'll separate the point from the flat AND SAVE THE JUICE FROM THE FOIL. Cut the point up into 1" square pieces and put em in a large foil pan. Cover them with a little bit of store bought rub (I use John Henry Pecan Rub) in the pan. Then pour a good amount of your favorite BBQ sauce over them. Turn on your grill and put the pan on the grates. I go on high on the grill, and you have to CONSTANTLY stir. After about 10-15 minutes you will notice the sauce start to darken up. Now you REALLY have to stir them around. The cubes will get a nice black color, and they will be the best burnt ends you have ever had.

Back inside with the flat: Slice the flat about 1/4" against the grain. After you slice the flat, I will loosely stack them in a casserole dish or cake pan. I want them standing up, but leaning against each other. Pour the juice that you saved earlier all over them. You can also dredge each slice if you have the time and desire, but just pouring it will get all of that flavor back into the meat.

You are now ready to serve your awesome, tender, fall apart with a fork but still springy enough that judges wouldn't massacre you, brisket. I prefer a fresh cold beer and my homemade mustard potato salad on the side. Recipe for that to follow. :suds:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good gawd son, get over yourself and share...otherwise just poop and get off the pot already!

Dryrub recipes are a dime a dozen and ALL are equally as good. :suds::yahoo::whistle:

I didn't mean I wouldn't share because they are secret, I meant I might not type em because I'm fucking lazy! :laugh3:

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had brisket before, always looks good when I see it though.

Mind FedEx'n some my way?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I NEVER cooked/smoked a WHOLE brisket for less than 16 hours, but what the hell do I know?

I cheat and use a propane smoker, so I KNOW it is at 225 the entire time. I expect this 10 pounder to go 15 hours, might take a bit longer. Wrapping it up will actually make it keep cooking. After 3 hours wrapped in a cooler, that thing will still be too hot to touch. It's cooking/steaming it while it also rests.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd hate it. Gotta have it fresh :)

Have a family member that moved down to Frisco, outside of Dallas, might need to take a vacation and find a BBQ joint.

Shit always looks so good

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cheat and use a propane smoker, so I KNOW it is at 225 the entire time. I expect this 10 pounder to go 15 hours, might take a bit longer. Wrapping it up will actually make it keep cooking. After 3 hours wrapped in a cooler, that thing will still be too hot to touch. It's cooking/steaming it while it also rests.

COPY!

Yeah you want to pull that sucka BEFORE it hits the low final temp and let the rest time "finish off" the cook time/final temp wrapped up in foil...AGREE!
:suds:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pork Rub

This SOB is the only pork rub I use. No matter if it is a shoulder/butt, loin, or pork ribs...this is the rub I'm using. Still use yellow mustard to get it to stick.

2t paprika (don't waste good smoked stuff if you have it, it'll get smoked on its own!)
1t cayenne
1t garlic powder
1t onion powder
1T salt
1t ground black pepper
2t ground cumin
1.5T brown sugar
1/4t ground cinnamon
1/8t ground cloves
1/8t ground nutmeg

Again, I'll mix this up and then grind it into a super fine powder. Since there are so many ingredients, I actually double this and keep it in a sealed shaker. The above amounts will be enough for a few racks of spares, a couple of butts, or a ton of tenderloins. If you double it, it will last a long time sealed up and in a pantry.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stacked enchiladas

Figured I'd show that I don't just cook on the smoker! This one has been in the family a LONG time, and I have it down pat.

1# ground beef
2t salt
2t garlic salt
3T flour
1T chili powder (better, but I use 1/2T now to cut heat a bit)
1 10oz can enchilada sauce (red)
1 46oz can Tomato Juice
1 small onion (I use white)

corn tortillas
sour cream
lettuce - sliced
cheddar cheese - shredded

In a large pot, brown meat. Add diced onion and dry ingredients after browned. As you mix this, it will kind of clump the meat up and start to brown the flour. You don't have to mix long, just coat all the beef. Add tomato juice, enchilada sauce, and then 10oz of water (just use the enchilada sauce can). Set to low heat and cook for an hour, stirring occasionally.
After the hour simmering is about up, heat a skillet with a few drops of oil on medium-high. You are going to place single corn tortillas on the skillet to warm up each side. You aren't looking to crisp them up, I just am basically toasting them here. a little oil on each side and usually 15-20 seconds per side. I usually do 4-5 tortillas per person. When all tortillas are cooked, you start building the enchiladas. I use a small ladle, and start with a tiny bit of sauce on the plate then put down the first tortilla. Give it a light cover of sauce/beef, a little bit of cheese, and then another tortilla. Repeat that until you have a stack of 4 or 5 tortillas. On top of the last tortilla I will make sure there is plenty of sauce to cover everything and have a "moat" of sauce around the plate. Throw more cheese on top, some sliced lettuce to give it a crisp-cool crunch, and then a dollop of sour cream.

Every person I've ever served this to has loved it. The recipe will make enough sauce for a family of 4 (so 16-20 tortillas) and you will almost certainly have leftovers. If you will seal it up in a container, it will freeze well. To thaw just put in sauce pan and heat. My wife and I actually think it is better after it has been frozen and thawed. :noidea:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pepper Steak

This is a recipe from my wife's family, but it is literally my favorite thing in the entire world to eat. This shit is AWESOME.

1.5# cubed steak (round steak works, but won't be as tender)
2T butter
2 cloves of garlic - crushed
1.5C beef broth (an average can)
1C sliced green onions (optional, I don't use these...tend to break down and make things gritty)
2 green bell peppers - seeded and cut into strips
2T corn starch
1/4C water
1/4C soy sauce
2 large tomatoes cut into eights (I prefer Roma to make it easier to cut and control)
3C cooked rice (I use two bags of the 10 minute boil-in-bag)
Paprika

Cut steak into 1/4" strips. coat the meat in paprika...and I mean coat it. Turn all the strips red! Melt butter in large skillet, then brown the meat. After browning, add garlic and broth. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add onions and peppers. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. (note: if doing the 10 minute rice, start it when you add the peppers) In separate bowl, mix water + cornstarch + soy sauce...then add to meat mixture and stir until the liquid clears up (sounds odd, but it will go from cloudy to clear) and thickens. That takes about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and gently stir to mix. Serve immediately over rice. The tomatoes aren't supposed to cook, just mix in. The result will be a cold crisp tomato bite.

There likely won't be leftovers...it's that damn good. If there are, mixing the rice and steak together in a container works ok. I've reheated it before the next day and it holds up well.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pink Stuff

And finally a desert. I don't have a fancy name for this, so "pink stuff" works. Make it once, call it this, and everyone will simply say "pass the pink stuff" or "why the eff didn't you bring pink stuff this year???". Oh yeah, and it is crazy easy to make.

1 container of cool whip (tub, not the aerosol can crap)
1 small can of crushed pineapple
1 small can of mandarin oranges
1 bag of small marsh-mellows
1 box of strawberry jello (I advise against sugar free)

Drain the pineapple juice and orange juice into a glass and SAVE. Mix the fruit and coolwhip in a large bowl. Stir in marsh-mellows. Add jello for coloring and a slight amount of taste. Typically I'll add about half the pouch. Mix well until it is a solid pink color. The marsh-mellows will have sucked all the moisture out of this mix, so slowly add back the juice from the fruit. Don't pour it all in, just a bit at a time until it gets a shiny texture back. Don't want it soupy, and don't want it chunky.

Done. Cover with lid or saran wrap and put in fridge until ready to serve. Simple and damn good! :suds:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potato Salad

This isn't my favorite, but it is still darn good. If I find the other recipe, I'll post it too:

2.5 large potatoes
2 eggs
1/2c chopped celery
1/4c chopped onion (prefer white)
1/4c sweet pickle relish
1/8t garlic salt
1/8t celery salt
1.5t yellow mustard
ground black pepper to taste
2T mayonnaise

Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel, and chop. (Also had equal luck peeling and cubing before boiling, similar to how you make mashed potatoes. Just don't let them get much beyond "fork done").
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat and let eggs tand in hot water for 12 minutes. Remove from water, cool, peel, chop.
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together well. Cover with saran wrap and chill until ready to serve. This is ok warm, but will taste better if everything is good and cold.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baked Mac and cheese

I've got a long drawn out recipe for smoked mac and cheese, but this one actually is 10x easier and works great from the over or on the smoker:

1 (16oz) bag of macaroni
1 (10.75oz) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
1c milk
1# shredded Colby cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring large pot of salted water to boil, add pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes. Drain.
Place macaroni in a 2 quart casserole dish. Stir in cheese soup and milk until well combined. Sprinkle the entire pound of Colby over the top, and I like to mix some of it down into the pasta.

Bake about 30 minutes or until the cheese is starting to brown.

If you want to put this on the smoker, I still keep it about 225-250, and will take roughly 60 to 90 minutes. The cheese is going to absorb most of the smoke, so if you want less smokey then you will need to cover it in foil after about 30 minutes. I use hickory mostly.

Final addition: I've done this before when I was doing a pulled pork. If you pull the pork and put some of the shredded meat on top before serving it up...YUM!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grilled Asparagus

Stupidly easy, and tastes great:

1 bunch of fresh Asparagus
salt
pepper
lime juice
olive oil
heavy duty tin foil

Tear off a section of foil, probably a foot and a half to two feet. Wash the asparagus, then for each stalk grab each end. Bend the ends together until the stalk breaks and throw away the bottoms. Repeat for each stalk, this will get the tough parts off. Lay the asparagus out on the foil, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and a bit of pepper. Then give the entire bunch a squirt of lime juice. This may do nothing, but I've always done it and it always turns out well. This isn't a lot of juice, just give it a good spray.

Fold the foil up into a leakproof pouch, toss on the back of the grill as you are cooking your steaks/chicken/whatever. Cook for 5 minutes on each side. That's it. Easy as can be, and tastes much better than any steamed or canned asparagus. :suds: