• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

For our Non Believers...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete calls that shot, but he has been big on Geno for a while. I realize that could be merely coach speak.
I like what I have seen of Geno. I would extend him if I could. Right now.
If he finishes the year as he has been playing, he will finally get his massive payday. Additionally, if he falters or gets hurt, that could severely damage him financially.
Yet, sometimes the bird hangs in the brush. He could sign a deal now, say $54M for 3 years, $35 guaranteed, and he would be a rich man.
Im just talking out loud, but I think Geno will still play well going forward.
On the heels of trading away a high-priced franchise QB, I am not sure why it would then make sense to draft a guy who you hope would end up being another one if part of the point of trading RW was to avoid having 1 guy take up so much cap space. Now a top draft pick QB wouldn't make that much for a few years, but why would you want to put that player on the field when the guy you currently have playing that position is doing it at the level that Geno is/has? Geno Smith is on pace for 4k+ yards, 28 TDs, and 7 INTs with a passer rating of 107. Even if Geno regresses to the mean a bit (I feel like I've been saying this for 3 or 4 weeks now), it wouldn't be reasonable to expect a 2023 drafted QB to play at that level for a few years. Unless some other team backs up the truck for Geno in the off-season, I just don't know why PC would want to do that (take a QB with their top pick) when they just made a huge trade to get out from under a QB-heavy roster situation.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the heels of trading away a high-priced franchise QB, I am not sure why it would then make sense to draft a guy who you hope would end up being another one if part of the point of trading RW was to avoid having 1 guy take up so much cap space. Now a top draft pick QB wouldn't make that much for a few years, but why would you want to put that player on the field when the guy you currently have playing that position is doing it at the level that Geno is/has? Geno Smith is on pace for 4k+ yards, 28 TDs, and 7 INTs with a passer rating of 107. Even if Geno regresses to the mean a bit (I feel like I've been saying this for 3 or 4 weeks now), it wouldn't be reasonable to expect a 2023 drafted QB to play at that level for a few years. Unless some other team backs up the truck for Geno in the off-season, I just don't know why PC would want to do that (take a QB with their top pick) when they just made a huge trade to get out from under a QB-heavy roster situation.
cause u have him for 5 years at a bargain:suds:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here are the 1st round QBs currently in their 4th & 5th years:
  • Baker Mayfield
  • Sam Darnold
  • Josh Allen
  • Kyler Murray
  • Daniel Jones
  • Dwayne Haskins
1 bona fide hit out of 6. 3 busts. 2 average type starts. Doesn't look like such a huge bargain to me, especially compared to what journeyman Geno Smith is doing.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here are the 1st round QBs currently in their 4th & 5th years:
  • Baker Mayfield
  • Sam Darnold
  • Josh Allen
  • Kyler Murray
  • Daniel Jones
  • Dwayne Haskins
1 bona fide hit out of 6. 3 busts. 2 average type starts. Doesn't look like such a huge bargain to me, especially compared to what journeyman Geno Smith is doing.
geno is 32 gl with him:suds:

last 3 years
22 looks like a bust
21 lawrence
20 burrow/tua/herbert
its a crap shoot most years

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
geno is 32 gl with him:suds:

last 3 years
22 looks like a bust
21 lawrence
20 burrow/tua/herbert
its a crap shoot most years
My angle isn't really "Geno Smith is awesome" (even though he's currently playing like it). It's more about the disbelief that PC would want to spend a top pick on a QB (who will either be a waste of a pick or end up requiring a huge salary, which is a situation they just stepped away from) after how he's been able to install a journeyman and still get excellent production. If Pete thinks he's built a strong enough supporting cast, why wouldn't he just run it back with another Geno Smith type and use Denver's pick on the D? Like you say, early QB picks are a huge gamble.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes of course. Geno having a career year but let me remind folks of Case Keenum and Nick Folks. If the price is right then sure resign him, but I doubt the cost will work out, and giving Geno a big contract is likely a big mistake. In any case Geno is not a spring chicken and Seahawks need to secure a QB of the future in the draft.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes of course. Geno having a career year but let me remind folks of Case Keenum and Nick Folks. If the price is right then sure resign him, but I doubt the cost will work out, and giving Geno a big contract is likely a big mistake. In any case Geno is not a spring chicken and Seahawks need to secure a QB of the future in the draft.
whats the number?

I agree, Draft QB if you like the upside, Try to sign Geno for 3 years at 75/80M with 40M guarantied

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't go much higher unless he wins you a playoff game. Geno right now looks to be a great placeholder
Any higher and someone else can pay him, but would be really nice to have him as a bridge.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Judge Fudge

So... Is it this now?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a QB coming in next draft all the teams are excited about?
If the Hawks draft a 1st round QB. I would just fran tag Geno, then you dont have to worry about losing cap cash when he is gone.
(unless he wants to sign for a reasonable #) which is doubtful.