• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football is being played this year! (2020 CFB thread)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
January 1st bowl games

I have a big announcement to make first: I'm not picking the CFP semifinals this time. Trust me, if either Alabama or Clemson loses, you'll definitely hear all about it. But there ARE 2 other bowls being played on this New Year's, so let's get to it:

Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl: Cincinnati vs. Georgia [12:00, ESPN]
(Wait. So Georgia changed their QB? I guess so; the new Georgia head man is J.T. Daniels [I swear I've heard that name before] and he may be the offensive spark the Bulldogs need to win this. Yet, quite a few Georgia players have opted out of this bowl, while Cincinnati [who's still a tad miffed over the CFP selection committee] has had none of those. AND they have a proud QB of their own.
One thing's for sure: Excluding Ohio State/Clemson, this may be the best pure game we'll get all bowl season.)
My prediction: Cincinnati in an upset 31-28
Citrus Bowl: Auburn vs. Northwestern [1:00, ABC] (If you were paying attention to Auburn football, then you've seen a whirlwind of events. First they fire their head coach, then they find a new coach from Boise State, and now I've just found out that the Tigers were struggling to focus on this game. Too bad for them; Northwestern is focused and willing to let their proud defense do them right one more time.)
My prediction: Northwestern 27-21

More bowl picks to come...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
January 2nd bowl games

So I guess people still use "bulletin board material" in this day and age... Huh? Sorry, I was thinking about the CFP yesterday. ANYway, let's get to today's games [All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN unless noted]:

Taxslayer Gator Bowl: NC State vs. Kentucky [12:00] (Ignore the records for now; this looks like a good southern-fried contest in Jacksonville. And how about NC State's head coach? Some thought he was on the hot seat this year, and he actually stepped up to the plate and delivered a fine season for the Wolfpack.
But seriously, why is 4-6 Kentucky the favorite here? I don't get it, and neither does my dark side. Give me the Wolfpack all day.)
My prediction: NC State 27-20

Outback Bowl:
Indiana vs. Ole Miss [12:30, ABC] (Hey, @tabascojet! I found your precious Outback Bowl! Maybe it was moved [thanks to the virus and everything else]. ANYway, Lane Kiffin has every right to praise Indiana; the Hoosiers' only conquerors are now in the CFP title game, and they have a fabulous defense. Meanwhile, Ole Miss might have a great offense, but their defense stinks to high heaven.
So, who do I go with? The team that has the defense but not it's superstar QB? Or the team with the proud QB but a lot of opt-outs and sick people?)
My prediction: Indiana 24-21 (Screw it, I'm taking the defense.)

Playstation Fiesta Bowl: Iowa State vs. Oregon [4:00]
(So by hook or by crook, Oregon fulfills it's preseason goal of a PAC-12 title. And they'll now face a Iowa State making perhaps it's first major-league bowl game ever. And I just found this out: Both starting QB's [Tyler Shough for Oregon and Brock Purdy for Iowa State] are from the state of Arizona, which is fast becoming an hotbed for QB talent.
To me, the key for Oregon to win is to do 2 things: Stop Breece Hall, and break a good Cyclones defense. And I don't know if they can do those 2 things at once.)
My prediction: Iowa State 34-24

Capital One Orange Bowl: North Carolina vs. Texas A&M [8:00]

(Well, at least A&M and UNC aren't playing the "What if" game on campus; both teams are ready for this encounter. And here in Miami, we're expecting- Wait. My dark side's telling me something... What? North Carolina won't have a tested running back for this game? AT ALL?!
Well, that takes care of this preview!)
My prediction: Texas A&M 35-20
...and it looks like I'm done! At least, unless something big happens in these bowls today...