• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers managemant cant get it right

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trading Fedatenko for that fucking FLAKE PITKANEN!
Trading SHARP for Ellison, FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trading Rod Brind'A mour for Primeau, which was great, until he was hurt.
Trading Williams for Markov, which lead to the signing of Rathjie in the end, Fuck.

Trading a 1st round pick for Umberger, fine for cap reasons, but............
that 1st or there 1st that they had went to Washington for Fucking Steve Eminger??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

These mistakes are why this team has not won Fuck all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We actually trade Patrick Sharp AND Eric Meloche for Matt Ellison :)

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every team could put up equal or worse trades.
Part of the buisness

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta traded us Coburn for Shitnik.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced on this one. Have we made some bad trades? Yep. Have they been "Wow, Brian Burke wouldn't have touched that?" Not so much. Like Raptor said, it's pretty much part of the game to win some and lose some, and I'm less concerned about some of our trades as much as I am some of our worse signings (Shelley, Bryzgalov's contract o'doom, etc.)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced on this one. Have we made some bad trades? Yep. Have they been "Wow, Brian Burke wouldn't have touched that?" Not so much. Like Raptor said, it's pretty much part of the game to win some and lose some, and I'm less concerned about some of our trades as much as I am some of our worse signings (Shelley, Pronger's contract o'doom, etc.)

fify :hockeysmile:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I view Pronger's contract as an all-in. It tells the team and the player that they are willing to bet it all on this season and go for broke that year. And Pronger was a good choice of player to do that on. Yes, there was an injury or retirement risk, but Pronger was exactly the piece we needed to take a stab at the cup that year and it almost worked. Heck, it probably would have worked if we hadn't been up against a team that did pretty much the same thing in the finals. Also if Leighton had practiced stopping terrible angle shots from the boards. Also if the draft lottery hadn't screwed us over a few years before.

Bryzgalov's contract doesn't follow the same logic. We sign him to a high price long-term contract and at the same time trade away our star centers and hope Giroux can pull through. Granted, it worked out and I'm glad our rookies played as well as they did, but we didn't need to spend $51 million addressing our goalie needs with a risky star-potential goalie - we just needed to spend $10-15 on a 3-4 year deal with some better-than-average goalie with some upside.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I view Pronger's contract as an all-in. It tells the team and the player that they are willing to bet it all on this season and go for broke that year. And Pronger was a good choice of player to do that on. Yes, there was an injury or retirement risk, but Pronger was exactly the piece we needed to take a stab at the cup that year and it almost worked. Heck, it probably would have worked if we hadn't been up against a team that did pretty much the same thing in the finals. Also if Leighton had practiced stopping terrible angle shots from the boards. Also if the draft lottery hadn't screwed us over a few years before.

Bryzgalov's contract doesn't follow the same logic. We sign him to a high price long-term contract and at the same time trade away our star centers and hope Giroux can pull through. Granted, it worked out and I'm glad our rookies played as well as they did, but we didn't need to spend $51 million addressing our goalie needs with a risky star-potential goalie - we just needed to spend $10-15 on a 3-4 year deal with some better-than-average goalie with some upside.

Isn't that what they did for 20 years is sign older washed up goalies that lost? I liked the fact that Homer had the gonads to go out and sign the best FA goalie. Bryz will pay off mark my words...just give him a solid healthy D and they'll be fine. They weren't winning shit with Richie/Carts and a guy like vokun probably knocked out first round...and the boozing would have continued for another 10 years. At least now we have hope with one of the best young teams out there.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be clear - I think Bryz is a good goalie. I think the Richards and Carter trades were both fan-freaking-tastic. I don't have a problem with Bryz or trading Richards/Carts. I just don't like Bryz's ridiculous contract length or cost.

And no, signing veteran goalies is not the same as signing a younger decent goalie with upside. Veteran goalies in general have little-to-no upside at all. I would've liked a Halak or a Price type of goalie - young enough to still have better days ahead, old enough to show they aren't total idiots in the crease. We could have had either one in the past few years, but we chose not to. Both would be a $2 million cap savings as well, meaning we could either have gotten some more defensive help, or maybe locked down Giroux for an extra year or two, or just had more freedom at the deadline.

Bryzgalov still might work out for us, and if so then that would be awesome. He's clearly talented - just look at March - but what we need out of a goalie is consistency, and you don't need to pay almost $6 million a year for consistency.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be clear - I think Bryz is a good goalie. I think the Richards and Carter trades were both fan-freaking-tastic. I don't have a problem with Bryz or trading Richards/Carts. I just don't like Bryz's ridiculous contract length or cost.

And no, signing veteran goalies is not the same as signing a younger decent goalie with upside. Veteran goalies in general have little-to-no upside at all. I would've liked a Halak or a Price type of goalie - young enough to still have better days ahead, old enough to show they aren't total idiots in the crease. We could have had either one in the past few years, but we chose not to. Both would be a $2 million cap savings as well, meaning we could either have gotten some more defensive help, or maybe locked down Giroux for an extra year or two, or just had more freedom at the deadline.

Bryzgalov still might work out for us, and if so then that would be awesome. He's clearly talented - just look at March - but what we need out of a goalie is consistency, and you don't need to pay almost $6 million a year for consistency.

^^^^^ +100000000000000000

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^^^ +100000000000000000

and 10000000000000 more

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there were some questinable trades in the last few years,but I think the majority of them came in our favor.

I'll go with all the guys we got in the Richards/Carter deals.

Now how about the trades that brought us-Hartnell,Timonen,Mezsaros,Sestito and Carle?
Pretty damn happy with those deals.

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course there were some questinable trades in the last few years,but I think the majority of them came in our favor.

I'll go with all the guys we got in the Richards/Carter deals.

Now how about the trades that brought us-Hartnell,Timonen,Mezsaros,Sestito and Carle?
Pretty damn happy with those deals.

Majority of the trades made by Clarke and now Holmgren have been great, but its those handful of fucking trades that have killed the Flyers! There is reason why this team is a contender just about every year(made the playoffs like 19 out of 20 years), but don't get over the top.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I find interesting/entertaining is the number of spite trades that Clarke made as GM, especially in his first go round...players who he didn't like the negotiations or didn't like from his playing days...Brad McCrimmon shoots to the head of that list, Brian Boucher (the first time when everyone was sure that Chechmanek was going to be traded after showing up the team during the playoffs)....have a tough negotiation with Clarkie and you were heading out of town....get called the new heart and soul (Ron Sutter, Rick Tocchet) and you were heading out of town.

Other than how Holmgren, Propp, Eklund and Poulin were dealt...Clarke always managed to get decent value in trades. Homer is doing the same even if you don't like the actual trade.