• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Florida State and Clemson

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a neat piece by Andrea Adelson about Florida State and Clemson being in trap games.

"Coaches always warn it is dangerous to look ahead. In this case, that mantra fits. The clichéd trap week is here, for both programs. Eighth-ranked Florida State must face an unbeaten Maryland team on Saturday in Tallahassee, while No. 3 Clemson travels to play its first game in the Carrier Dome against improving Syracuse.

Both teams should win, but as folks have learned across the ACC, there are never guarantees. Just last week, Florida State struggled at Boston College. And Clemson looked ragged the last time it went out on the road in a too-close-for-comfort win at NC State."

Clemson faces unknowns at Syracuse - ACC Blog - ESPN

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are new to the ACC. You will learn to ignore Andrea and Heather. They use a lot of generalizations in their articles. NC State is a tough place to play. FSU was fine offensively. JF admitted to them messing with the defensive lineup all game. Even though he never gave a reason why.

Welcome to your first big conference game. Have fun.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are new to the ACC. You will learn to ignore Andrea and Heather. They use a lot of generalizations in their articles. NC State is a tough place to play. FSU was fine offensively. JF admitted to them messing with the defensive lineup all game. Even though he never gave a reason why.

Welcome to your first big conference game. Have fun.

AA said both teams are expected to win. They should. But I don't think either team can look past this weekend.

Edsell is a fine coach. He's a grad from SU so I've paid a little attention to him. He put UConn Football on the map. Once he left UConn, recruiting and wins have gone down hill. This Maryland team is looking impressive. If Fisher "messes with the lineup all game", Coach Edsell will make him pay.

FSU requires a very solid game so they better not be thinking about Clemson. And a rookie QB...though I like Winston a lot...is a recipie for an upset.

I haven't watched many NC State games, but I've been to a few SU games. There is a monster difference in the Dome when the place gets above 45K. The fans are very close to the field. The closed roof and lights messes with outdoor teams. Temps inside will be over 90 degrees on the field and zero breeze. It will be loud until Clemson takes the game away from the crowd.

An older QB like Boyd is what it takes to win in a nasty place. The last two wins at the Dome to ranked teams were against a Junior Geno Smith and a Sophomore Bridgewater. But everyone on Clemson better understand it will require their A game this saturday. The D can't be left on the field for long drives. Anything less and the Dome is going to be a very bad place in the 4th quarter. Hot, Loud and Nasty. Looking past SU will not serve them well.

Thanks for the welcome. I don't plan on returning Saturday night with a voice. It's all gonna be left at the Dome. :nod:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson will have their hands full in the Dome. It's like playing football inside a hockey rink. Punts and kick offs get lost in the score board lights, the grass is artificial and the crowd is very close to the side lines. Syracuse is a great bet to cover the spread and an upset win is a possibility. Just ask West Virginia and Louisville.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't the game I'm too worried about. I'm sure FSU knows that Maryland will be tough. It's the game after the Clemson game I'm worried about. Why? It's a big game sandwich. Clemson, NC State, and then Miami. It will be easy to over look NC State after Clemson with Miami just 2 weeks away.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything can happen in ACC games. You'll learn that soon enough. Records don't matter. No holds barred, everything goes!

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone please recruit our coach?

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson's depth will wear 'Cuse out in the end; it might be close into the second quarter or even into halftime, but Cuse doesn't have the depth on either line (especially the offensive line) to keep up in the second half. As for the heat, you do realize the average temps in SC through the end of September and some years into October are routinely in the 90's, right? Unless it's over 100 degrees in the Dome, I wouldn't count on the temps mattering much.

Fast teams play faster on turf, and I think you'll see a definitive speed differential on Saturday. Welcome to the ACC though!

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AA said both teams are expected to win. They should. But I don't think either team can look past this weekend.

Edsell is a fine coach. He's a grad from SU so I've paid a little attention to him. He put UConn Football on the map. Once he left UConn, recruiting and wins have gone down hill. This Maryland team is looking impressive. If Fisher "messes with the lineup all game", Coach Edsell will make him pay.

FSU requires a very solid game so they better not be thinking about Clemson. And a rookie QB...though I like Winston a lot...is a recipie for an upset.

I haven't watched many NC State games, but I've been to a few SU games. There is a monster difference in the Dome when the place gets above 45K. The fans are very close to the field. The closed roof and lights messes with outdoor teams. Temps inside will be over 90 degrees on the field and zero breeze. It will be loud until Clemson takes the game away from the crowd.

An older QB like Boyd is what it takes to win in a nasty place. The last two wins at the Dome to ranked teams were against a Junior Geno Smith and a Sophomore Bridgewater. But everyone on Clemson better understand it will require their A game this saturday. The D can't be left on the field for long drives. Anything less and the Dome is going to be a very bad place in the 4th quarter. Hot, Loud and Nasty. Looking past SU will not serve them well.

Thanks for the welcome. I don't plan on returning Saturday night with a voice. It's all gonna be left at the Dome. :nod:

I would not call Maryland impressive more of a shock. Their biggest win was against a WVU team that was still trying to figure out who to have as a QB. Which is now Clint Trickett a transfer from FSU. Not to mention that WVU barely beat William and Mary.

A rookie QB who plays like a 3 yr starter with his decision making. That is not a recipe for an upset. The offense will be fine against all of our opponents this season. The D is the only thing that can be messed with. Especially with them screwing with personnel groupings. The one great thing is we Get Mario Edwards back for this game which will help on the DL.

I couldn't care less about the SU/Clemson game except for rooting that Clemson loses. Just have fun and root for your team.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the OP, Clemson and FSU are two of the most notorious teams for losing games they shouldn't the past 4-5 years or so.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson's depth will wear 'Cuse out in the end; it might be close into the second quarter or even into halftime, but Cuse doesn't have the depth on either line (especially the offensive line) to keep up in the second half. As for the heat, you do realize the average temps in SC through the end of September and some years into October are routinely in the 90's, right? Unless it's over 100 degrees in the Dome, I wouldn't count on the temps mattering much.

Fast teams play faster on turf, and I think you'll see a definitive speed differential on Saturday. Welcome to the ACC though!

this. And don't forget Death Valley sits in a hole surrounded by stands, so not only is hot as shit on the field and the stands for that matter, there is rarely a breeze. Then there's the friggin humidity during those September games. I think our boys will be fine with the temperatures en sech. I fully expect us to cover and cruise unless y'all are the new NC St. NC State has always been a thorn in the side of aspiring ACC championship teams. They have ruined many a season with a fluke game where they just dominate. It's baffling really. Good luck orangemen.

Last edited by a moderator:

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this. And don't forget Death Valley sits in a hole surrounded by stands, so not only is hot as shit on the field and the stands for that matter, there is rarely a breeze. Then there's the friggin humidity during those September games. I think our boys will be fine with the temperatures en sech. I fully expect us to cover and cruise. I could be wrong. Unless y'all are the new NC St, we'll be fine. NC State has always been a thorn in the side of aspiring ACC championship teams. They have ruined many a season with a fluke game where they just dominate. It's baffling really. Good luck orangemen.

This. I am glad we don't have to play those sumbitches yearly.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the OP, Clemson and FSU are two of the most notorious teams for losing games they shouldn't the past 4-5 years or so.

Just so you know we were 7-6 in 2009 and two of the 3 years before that. Only the last 3 seasons have we done what you state. NC State and UNC in 2010(First year under Fisher). 2011 it was UVA(Not counting Wake because we were still playing our 120lb backup QB). Same year we beat ND in the Champs Sports bowl with 4 freshman OL and a QB that broke his lower leg during the game. :boink:
2012 was NC State.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this. And don't forget Death Valley sits in a hole surrounded by stands, so not only is hot as shit on the field and the stands for that matter, there is rarely a breeze. Then there's the friggin humidity during those September games. I think our boys will be fine with the temperatures en sech. I fully expect us to cover and cruise unless y'all are the new NC St. NC State has always been a thorn in the side of aspiring ACC championship teams. They have ruined many a season with a fluke game where they just dominate. It's baffling really. Good luck orangemen.

I prefer to jump up on that hill where you can see all the beautiful honies laying out in their bikinis. :suds:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so you know we were 7-6 in 2009 and two of the 3 years before that. Only the last 3 seasons have we done what you state. NC State and UNC in 2010(First year under Fisher). 2011 it was UVA(Not counting Wake because we were still playing our 120lb backup QB). Same year we beat ND in the Champs Sports bowl with 4 freshman OL and a QB that broke his lower leg during the game. :boink:
2012 was NC State.

Ok so FSU was 7-6 and you're going to tell me you didn't lose any games you should have? Especially when FSU started out in the top 20 that year? I'm sure the year before it happened as well.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so FSU was 7-6 and you're going to tell me you didn't lose any games you should have? Especially when FSU started out in the top 20 that year? I'm sure the year before it happened as well.

We were downright HORRIBLE the last year under bobby. The defense could not have stopped my old high school team. So no there were no surprise losses that year. Or the other 7-6 seasons. I stated the last 3 yrs that was true, but not the 4 years before that.