• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

flipping or releasing the club?

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been working on my golf swing. The other day I was trying to use a lighter grip and keeping my wrists and arms loose. When I did that I could feel my wrists in the shots.

That ball is going farther and has more zip on the ball, but i can't tell if I'm flipping, or if that's what releasing the club head feels like. I don't want to introduce the wrong thing into my swing.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If its going farther and you feel more zip on the ball, I'd bet you are releasing the club rather than flipping it. Flipping is releasing the club early and the ball should go weekly to the left. You definitely would not feel what you said you were feeling if you were flipping the club.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been working on my golf swing. The other day I was trying to use a lighter grip and keeping my wrists and arms loose. When I did that I could feel my wrists in the shots.

That ball is going farther and has more zip on the ball, but i can't tell if I'm flipping, or if that's what releasing the club head feels like. I don't want to introduce the wrong thing into my swing.
Uh, you wanna borrow my Flipstick?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's going farther, you're doing it right.. as in releasing properly. Looser grip, hands, etc is all good. Sam Snead said you should grip the club like you'd hold a baby bird. You only want enough tension through the hands and arms to hold onto the club and maintain a proper swing plane.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's going farther, you're doing it right.. as in releasing properly. Looser grip, hands, etc is all good. Sam Snead said you should grip the club like you'd hold a baby bird. You only want enough tension through the hands and arms to hold onto the club and maintain a proper swing plane.

I used to play with this old Irish guy ..when you were holding a club, without warning he would try to snatch it out of your hand.

And if he couldn't, ..he would say you were holding it to tight.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to play with this old Irish guy ..when you were holding a club, without warning he would try to snatch it out of your hand.

And if he couldn't, ..he would say you were holding it to tight.

There 's an old joke about a man taking lessons from a pro who told him that he gripped the club too tightly.

The man said "That's the way Arnie grips the club" and the pro replied "You're not Arnold Palmer.".

I used to grip it too tight when I was younger. It's a hard habit to break because "swing easy to hit it farther" is counter-intuitive.. but it's true. Loose is best.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There 's an old joke about a man taking lessons from a pro who told him that he gripped the club too tightly.

The man said "That's the way Arnie grips the club" and the pro replied "You're not Arnold Palmer.".

I used to grip it too tight when I was younger. It's a hard habit to break because "swing easy to hit it farther" is counter-intuitive.. but it's true. Loose is best.

It is insanely hard to not grip it hard. I do a quick waggle of the club just before i hit to try to loosen everything.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s amazing what a high speed camera will pick up. Get someone to video your tee swing and play it back in slo mo.

I tried loosening up my wrists to create more lag and down-cocking before the release. When it hit it well I was crushing it especially off the tee but I couldn’t get any consistency. Watching my swing in slo mo I could see I was definitely flipping even when I wasn’t consciously trying to do that. My hands were moving away causing a lot of shots off the heel.

Now I keep my wrists relaxed at the top of my back swing and create lag by basically trying to bring my hands down to right hip and try to hold my lag as long as I can through the target. I’m not trying to release because the weight of the club will cause it to release itself. It feels wrong at first but I am now releasing on target and not flipping or casting.

Hope that makes sense. Hard to describe it.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for gripping. I have a strong grip, I.e., my left hand turned over the front of the club probably a little more than normal. My left hand applies probably 90% of the pressure and my right hand is more of a guide.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most of golf is counter-intuitive; that's why its so hard. Swinging out to the right makes the ball turn left? Who would a thunk it?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is insanely hard to not grip it hard. I do a quick waggle of the club just before i hit to try to loosen everything.
I love the way Jason Dufner used to do that.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s amazing what a high speed camera will pick up. Get someone to video your tee swing and play it back in slo mo.

I tried loosening up my wrists to create more lag and down-cocking before the release. When it hit it well I was crushing it especially off the tee but I couldn’t get any consistency. Watching my swing in slo mo I could see I was definitely flipping even when I wasn’t consciously trying to do that. My hands were moving away causing a lot of shots off the heel.

Now I keep my wrists relaxed at the top of my back swing and create lag by basically trying to bring my hands down to right hip and try to hold my lag as long as I can through the target. I’m not trying to release because the weight of the club will cause it to release itself. It feels wrong at first but I am now releasing on target and not flipping or casting.

Hope that makes sense. Hard to describe it.
To me, that is the key. It happens naturally