• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fixing the Capitals moving forward, he 46n2 way

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some food for thought:

I know that I am an un-apologetic Neuvirth guy and thought he was the best chance that we had for a long term solution in net. He wasn't happy here and I think that Holtby still has a chance to be that guy, however so he moved on. No big deal. I think goaltending (and the internal stats bear this out) are the least of our concerns, though I would like to see us pick a #1 and go with him. Anyway...

In his last three starts, Michal Neuvirth has given up 6 goals on 126 shots and is 0-3. That is better than a .950 save percentage and an 0-3 record. One of those was when he was still a Cap and we lost 1-0 to the Isles. However the other two were in Buffalo, where their leading scorer has 43 points and 21 goals.

My point is: We could be Buffalo, so let's not get too depressed.

I would like to see the Caps try and re-sign Penner and Grabovski (if hey price is reasonable) and attempt to move Green for whatever they can get.

I think Mike Green is a dynamic playmaker who is a weapon, but much like Brian Campbell he needs to move on from Washington and Washington needs to move on from him. If they do this, and are able to amnesty Laich, a lot of cap space opens up.

Depending on who the next coach is (Laviolette, Crawford, Kevin Kamiski (tic)) we need to re-establish good relationships with player agents around the league. The Carrera piece flat out said that playes would not come to Washington because of McPhee. This was news to me but it explains a lot. Hopefully that can be repaired. If we can re-sign Grabovski and Penner, I think that can make a good second line with Kuznetsov.

Our third line is signed and one of the best in the league. Ward is not going to score 24 goals again, but he can certainly score 15, and if Brouwer ads 20+ again and Fehr can chip in 10-12, that is very nice for a third line.

We also need to shit or get off the pot with Holtby. If he is the guy for the next regime, this offseason is the time extend his contract. It is nice to have him for 1.875 for one more year, but like we did with Carlson and Alzner, let's commit to something moving forward.

If all of this happens (Penner, Grabovski, Green, Laich stuff) it would leave us with 13 forwards, three everyday NHL defensemen (81, 27, 74) and a couple pieces for depth (Hillen, Erskine) and a couple pieces to develop (Wey, Carrick?) and one goaltender. If we add 1 million each to Grabovski and Penner's deals, we would be left with just under 19 million to fill up a fourth line, three defenseman and a veteran backup goalie. This is very do-able. I would look at Brooks Orpik who will not get re-signed in Pittsburgh on a Hamrlik like deal as the big name guy, and let him become the 4th defenseman with Orlov.

Now of course this all depends on us being able to move Green and sign Penner and Grabovski to reasonable raises. I think that Laich is gone if McPhee is gone. I just cannot fathom how they cannot use the amnesty clause on him at this point. He is a nice guy with a groin made of tissue paper, and 4.5 million is an insane number for him. To put it in perspective, that number is the same as Ward and Fehr.....combined!

Just a random, coffee induced morning rant on the future of the hockey time that I love for masochistic reasons.

:suds:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or has the Caps' biggest problem been lack of presence in front of the net. Seems like their strategy is always to snipe from all over the ice without anyone setting up in front of the goalie to set screens, cause deflections, and put back rebounds. My Pens have a similar problems, but I think with the Caps they don't even try to make it hard for the opposing goalies to see the puck clearly.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't a problem when they had Knuble and it hasn't been a problem on their third line but he's it has been an issue with the 1st line since Knuble left. I wonder if Penner could fill that role.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't big on Neuvirth (not down on him either), but I agree 100% with the rest, 46.

-Fire the GM
-Trade Green (or I'm open to Ovechkin as well b/c I think he still has trade value now and won't in 3 years) - his value was on the PP and we clearly don't need him there now
-Amnesty Laich

I want to see Brouwer back on the 1st line. I don't agree with Doobee about lack of net presence, but I do think that Oates has not done a good job of skill matching this year.

In my book, I like to see what I'd categorize as a scorer, a playmaker, and a scrapper on each line. I think too often Mojo and Backstrom have played together and Brouwer and Laich have played together. In my view, those guys need to be on different lines. If Laich is gone, you need Penner, Fehr, and Brouwer as your 3 scrappers split across the lines. You need Backstrom, Grabbo, and Mojo split across those lines. And you need OV, Ward, and Kuzentsov split across those lines.

But I'm okay with seeing them trade Green (and others). I really wanted them to sign Matt Carle last offseason.

Top priority - one excellent top 4 defender or two very good ones - our top 4 D is our weakest spot.

I'd like to see a new GM give Oates one more year, but most of the time a new GM wants a new coach, so that may not happen.

But I'm not going to sweat it. Let's face it - we cheer for a franchise that is a complete piece of shit. When we suck, we are a record-breaking kind of suck. Even when they're good, they underachieve. And when they are great, they do nothing in the playoffs. Again and again. And not just losing a series 4-2. They collapse. Or give up a huge series lead. It's been this way for four decades now. So I'm not optimistic. I'm a Caps' fan for life. But fuck being a Caps' fan. It's a miserable existence that sucks away time, money, and emotions and gives you back almost nothing.

And if Leonsis was too stupid to fire an incompetent boob like Grumfeld, I expect he'll surprise everyone and not fire McPhee this offseason.

I'm on to cheering for the Nats - the only franchise with a chance to bring a title to this town in the next 3-4 years.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't a problem when they had Knuble and it hasn't been a problem on their third line but he's it has been an issue with the 1st line since Knuble left. I wonder if Penner could fill that role.

Yeah, Knuble was the type of player they need right now. He was a good post up player down low. They need someone like that to help out their snipers.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could all agree that McPhee needs to go, and it's probably time to part ways with Adam Oates. Not saying Oates is a bad coach, but he's not the guy they need right now. Maybe also get some veteran experience at the blue line (Mike Green isn't enough).

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all starts with McPhee. He missed the window when it was open. 17 years is more than enough time so it is time to move on. The Caps have turned into the Redskins this year with all the dysfunction that goes along with it so Oates needs to go too. Any coach that would put Beagle on a line with Ovechkin has to be questioned not to mention calling players out in the press.

Way back when Green was scoring a ton of points I said the Caps would never win with him on team. He is a turnover machine. Wins NO board battles and every team pressures him because they know he will give up the puck. He is making $6 million a year.

Laich, 19 points in 2 years. That is slightly less than $2 million a point. He needs to be gone.

Untouchables Ovechkin (still one of the 2 best goal scorers in the league) Backstrom, Carlson, Alzner and Kuznetsov. I'd like to see Grabo resigned and have 3 centers in Backstrom, Grabo and Kuznetsov.

I agree that more of a net presence is needed. More than anything a new GM has a major rebuilding job to do.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all starts with McPhee. He missed the window when it was open. 17 years is more than enough time so it is time to move on. The Caps have turned into the Redskins this year with all the dysfunction that goes along with it so Oates needs to go too. Any coach that would put Beagle on a line with Ovechkin has to be questioned not to mention calling players out in the press.

Way back when Green was scoring a ton of points I said the Caps would never win with him on team. He is a turnover machine. Wins NO board battles and every team pressures him because they know he will give up the puck. He is making $6 million a year.

Laich, 19 points in 2 years. That is slightly less than $2 million a point. He needs to be gone.

Untouchables Ovechkin (still one of the 2 best goal scorers in the league) Backstrom, Carlson, Alzner and Kuznetsov. I'd like to see Grabo resigned and have 3 centers in Backstrom, Grabo and Kuznetsov.

I agree that more of a net presence is needed. More than anything a new GM has a major rebuilding job to do.

Yup, McPhee needs to go more than anything. I would rather keep Adam Oates than keep George McPhee. He should've been fired as soon as he traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.