• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Rock Singers of All Time

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn’t create anything, is the problem I have with that statement.

By definition, doesn’t someone need to actually write music to create an entire genre?

They were his arrangements, the tempo, rhythm, what instruments would play what, when. He directed that and it was all determined and driven by the way he interpreted the piece.

Listen to how some of those early songs were done by others before Elvis got a hold of them and compare them to the way Elvis did them. He combined influences from multiple forms to create something new.

Perhaps "created R&R" is too strong, but his influence can't be under-estimated and the "Elvis was just a good-looking guy, who wiggled his hips while ripping off black artists and got lucky" is a simplistic and lazy take, imo. Black artists did get ripped off like crazy, especially back then, but Elvis was much more that that. He's just a convenient target.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were his arrangements, the tempo, rhythm, what instruments would play what, when. He directed that and it was all determined and driven by the way he interpreted the piece.

Listen to how some of those early songs were done by others before Elvis got a hold of them and compare them to the way Elvis did them. He combined influences from multiple forms to create something new.

Perhaps "created R&R" is too strong, but his influence can't be under-estimated and the "Elvis was just a good-looking guy, who wiggled his hips while ripping off black artists and got lucky" is a simplistic and lazy take, imo. Black artists did get ripped off like crazy, especially back then, but Elvis was much more that that. He's just a convenient target.

Exactly, look at how LZ interpreted some of the old blues music.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you’re giving far too much credit there. His big hits that people like @desert rat rave about where written and arranged for him. The early covers are covers...

He deserves credit as an entertainer, but gets far too much credit as a musician.

Edit to add: I’ve gone extra hard on him in this thread for the sake of the tools stroking him off, there’s nothing wrong with what he did, recycling songs was the thing to do at the time. Just credit where it’s due and all. Going by talent, he should be down the list compared to some of his contemporaries (White, Black, or other).

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you’re giving far too much credit there. His big hits that people like @desert rat rave about where written and arranged for him. The early covers are covers...

He deserves credit as an entertainer, but gets far too much credit as a musician.

Edit to add: I’ve gone extra hard on him in this thread for the sake of the tools stroking him off, there’s nothing wrong with what he did, recycling songs was the thing to do at the time. Just credit where it’s due and all. Going by talent, he should be down the list compared to some of his contemporaries (White, Black, or other).

Well the thread is about rock singers, not most talented musicians or rock artists. I honestly don't have 1 favorite. There are many like. I picked Elvis because he's one of them and he was taking far too much abuse in this thread.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the thread is about rock singers, not most talented musicians or rock artists. I honestly don't have 1 favorite. There are many like. I picked Elvis because he's one of them and he was taking far too much abuse in this thread.
The thread was officially turned into an Elvis thread long ago.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously ?

I love Meatloaf and think Bat out of Hell is a top five album. I saw him several times when he was doing small gigs.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.kno
I'm not suggesting that he's one of the best singers or anything, but he's definitely proficient. I love the song Your Latest Trick. Hell, I love that whole album.
Knopfler is another guy who knows how to sing, but wasn't blessed with a great vocal instrument.

I also think he let Chet Atkins buttfuck him....

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knopfler is another guy who knows how to sing, but wasn't blessed with a great vocal instrument.

I also think he let Chet Atkins buttfuck him....

Yeah, there's more to singing than just a great voice, and I think...

giphy.gif

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Meatloaf and think Bat out of Hell is a top five album. I saw him several times when he was doing small gigs.

You're not alone. I think it's one of the biggest selling albums ever. But Broadway show tunes disguised as rock & roll is not my thing.