• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

favorite regional cuisine and cookbook

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the condition of the cookbooks in my library, it looks like Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen is my most heavily used book. 100% Cajun and Creole.

I love jambalayas of all sorts, and Prudhomme (RIP) has the techniques. Actually, his most general technique is to cook aromatics, spices, etc., very hard/hot, until they must be scraped/deglazed off the bottom of the pan.

In retrospect, Paul is the master of the Maillard reaction, which caramelizes foods and produces umami.

I cannot buy any decent andouille locally, so I have to grind, stuff and smoke my own once a year: No fun at all (except for the eating).

This is the exact opposite of "fast food," but if you can achieve a fairly fine mince of onions, celery and bell peppers using a food processor, without producing a puree, you've got a hope. Otherwise, git mincin'.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lived in The City for many years, and routinely dined in the old China Town. Now I live in a one story, fast food town with shit for Chinese restaurants.

Saw an Anthony Bourdain episode on Szechuan, China. He dined with an English woman, Fuschia Dunlop, who's been living in Szechuan Provence for years, and has studied the cuisine. She's written, Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking (2001), W.H. Norton.

big deal: I can make Chinatown-good stuff, like twice cooked pork:

* the pork belly is what gets cooked twice: It gets boiled, chilled
and thinly sliced

* the sliced pork is then stir fried together with tons of sliced leeks, chili bean paste, sweet bean paste, black beans (fermented soy, not turtle), and mixed with soy sauce and sugar. Heat is added to taste with whole, or crushed, Thai chili peppers.

The weird ingredients (bean pastes, etc.) are available at Amazon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cookbook I use most often isn't a cookbook, but my grandmother's collection of her favorite recipes, which she filed on index cards.
A lot of her recipes I make just as she wrote them, with the exception of the recipes she got from her mother, grandmother, or even further back, since some of them don't really have specific directions.
For example, her "Quick Kuchen," which was her grandmother's recipe, has no baking instructions, and the topping has no measurements. One is simply told to combine a couple of ingredients, and spread them on the top of the kuchen when "most done," then "bake until done."

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cookbook I use most often isn't a cookbook, but my grandmother's collection of her favorite recipes, which she filed on index cards.
A lot of her recipes I make just as she wrote them, with the exception of the recipes she got from her mother, grandmother, or even further back, since some of them don't really have specific directions.
For example, her "Quick Kuchen," which was her grandmother's recipe, has no baking instructions, and the topping has no measurements. One is simply told to combine a couple of ingredients, and spread them on the top of the kuchen when "most done," then "bake until done."

Ain't that the truth: The old, family index card recipes are pro'ly written as merely hints, reminders for the one who already knows the details.

Fortunately, my mother tutored my present wife, so we can carry on traditional family recipes (mostly pastries, pies, desserts).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ain't that the truth: The old, family index card recipes are pro'ly written as merely hints, reminders for the one who already knows the details.

Fortunately, my mother tutored my present wife, so we can carry on traditional family recipes (mostly pastries, pies, desserts).

There have been numerous and extensive discussions attempting to "decode" some of the oldest recipes.
Over the years, there have been addenda added to certain recipes.
They usually begin with something along the lines of, "as I recall."

My grandmother's recipes present their own challenges, since I'm basically the only one in the family who can read her chicken scratch, and she liked to use abbreviations.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been numerous and extensive discussions attempting to "decode" some of the oldest recipes.
Over the years, there have been addenda added to certain recipes.
They usually begin with something along the lines of, "as I recall."

My grandmother's recipes present their own challenges, since I'm basically the only one in the family who can read her chicken scratch, and she liked to use abbreviations.

I hope you'll be able to decipher/resurrect as much as possible. What's the one dish you remember most fondly, and that you can reproduce?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you'll be able to decipher/resurrect as much as possible. What's the one dish you remember most fondly, and that you can reproduce?

It's been an ongoing project for decades, so most of them have been deciphered/resurrected. I can read her handwriting, and my great aunt, my grandmother's brother's wife, was incredibly helpful with the recipes my grandmother got for her mother and previous generations. She used to help my great grandmother in the kitchen (they lived next door to each other), so she filled in a lot of blanks.

There are far too many for me to pick just one.
My top few would be ... on the sweets side: my great grandmother's chocolate cake (the recipe is over 100 years old, at this point), the quick kuchen (brought over from Germany when my great great grandmother immigrated before the Civil War), and my grandmother's apricot cake. On the savory side: my grandmother's ratatouille (which I think it either Julia's recipe or adapted from it), and a recipe for gnocchi she got from a Chef at the Danieli sometime in the 50's. Beyond it being delicious, it's actually a french gnocchi. I didn't know that for years, but then I started wondering why all the other recipes for gnocchi I saw always had potatoes, so I did some research.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been an ongoing project for decades, so most of them have been deciphered/resurrected. I can read her handwriting, and my great aunt, my grandmother's brother's wife, was incredibly helpful with the recipes my grandmother got for her mother and previous generations. She used to help my great grandmother in the kitchen (they lived next door to each other), so she filled in a lot of blanks.

There are far too many for me to pick just one.
My top few would be ... on the sweets side: my great grandmother's chocolate cake (the recipe is over 100 years old, at this point), the quick kuchen (brought over from Germany when my great great grandmother immigrated before the Civil War), and my grandmother's apricot cake. On the savory side: my grandmother's ratatouille (which I think it either Julia's recipe or adapted from it), and a recipe for gnocchi she got from a Chef at the Danieli sometime in the 50's. Beyond it being delicious, it's actually a french gnocchi. I didn't know that for years, but then I started wondering why all the other recipes for gnocchi I saw always had potatoes, so I did some research.

That's very cool! The apricot cake sounds especially intriguing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's very cool! The apricot cake sounds especially intriguing.

If you'd like it, I'll pass along the recipe.
It very simple and can be made with either canned or fresh apricots (although when you use fresh, you need to get apricot nectar, too).

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Italian: La Cucina and The Silver Spoon should be your bibles.

Since you brought up cajun/creole: Cookin' Up A Storm which is a collection of recipes the Times-Picayune of New Orleans put together.

Anything Jacques Pepin and Lidia Matticchio Bastianoch are good too. If you're into barbeque Steve Raichlen has some good stuff. I also like America's Test Kitchen to reference.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you brought up cajun/creole: Cookin' Up A Storm which is a collection of recipes the Times-Picayune of New Orleans put together.

Picked up an ancient copy of The Picayune Original Creole Cook Book,(1966), Times Picayune Publishing Co., NOLA. I've been delightfully stuck on Prudhomme, but these recipies are calling.

Anything Jacques Pepin and Lidia Matticchio Bastianoch are good too. If you're into barbeque Steve Raichlen has some good stuff. I also like America's Test Kitchen to reference.

I am a Giuliano Bugialli fan, took his cooking course and have most of his books, which are wonderful.

RIP, great one:

Giuliano Bugialli, Champion of Italian Cuisine, Dies at 88

Bastianoch has made our meal rotation. Her orecchiette with sausage and rapini is a true winner.

Big fan of Jacques Pepin, also. I turn out his Rib Roast Claire with Yorkshire Pudding every New Years Day. The fresh horseradish, mustard, honey sauce is magnificent.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, please.

Granny's Apricot Cake

1 lb can apricots - thoroughly drained* (reserve the syrup)
1 very large egg - beaten
2T sweet butter - melted
1/3 c apricot syrup
1/2 t lemon extract
2/3 c flour
2/3 c sugar
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 (scant) t salt

Add butter to egg. Add other ingredients (except apricots). Blend. Put in greased, floured round 9" cake pan. Place apricot halves face down*. Combine 1/3 c sugar with 1/2 t cinnamon and sprinkle on top avoiding apricots.
Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes.

Serve with freshly made whipped cream.

*If you don't drain the apricot halves really well, the extra syrup makes it such that the batter around the fruit doesn't completely bake.

*My grandmother used to just place the full apricots halves around the cake with one in the center. I slice most of the halves into quarters, place a full half in the middle, then place the quarters around in a kind of sunburst pattern. It looks pretty, and it makes it such that one gets a bit of fruit in every bite.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granny's Apricot Cake

1 lb can apricots - thoroughly drained* (reserve the syrup)
1 very large egg - beaten
2T sweet butter - melted
1/3 c apricot syrup
1/2 t lemon extract
2/3 c flour
2/3 c sugar
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 (scant) t salt

Add butter to egg. Add other ingredients (except apricots). Blend. Put in greased, floured round 9" cake pan. Place apricot halves face down*. Combine 1/3 c sugar with 1/2 t cinnamon and sprinkle on top avoiding apricots.
Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes.

Serve with freshly made whipped cream.

*If you don't drain the apricot halves really well, the extra syrup makes it such that the batter around the fruit doesn't completely bake.

*My grandmother used to just place the full apricots halves around the cake with one in the center. I slice most of the halves into quarters, place a full half in the middle, then place the quarters around in a kind of sunburst pattern. It looks pretty, and it makes it such that one gets a bit of fruit in every bite.

Beautiful!

Thanks, Dear one.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're welcome.
If you decide to make it, let me know what you think.

btw - In case you noticed I rated your post "funny" and were wondered why ...

I'm chuckling over the evolution from "cackling hag" to "dear one."

evolution

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picked up an ancient copy of The Picayune Original Creole Cook Book,(1966), Times Picayune Publishing Co., NOLA. I've been delightfully stuck on Prudhomme, but these recipies are calling.

I am a Giuliano Bugialli fan, took his cooking course and have most of his books, which are wonderful.

RIP, great one:

Bastianoch has made our meal rotation. Her orecchiette with sausage and rapini is a true winner.

Big fan of Jacques Pepin, also. I turn out his Rib Roast Claire with Yorkshire Pudding every New Years Day. The fresh horseradish, mustard, honey sauce is magnificent.
Prudhomme is great too. I have his Louisiana Kitchen, Family Cookbook, Fiery Foods That I Love, and Louisiana Tastes on Kindle. I periodically buy them when they go on sale. I personally prefer the Kindle versions because I can reference them anywhere, especially when I'm visiting family during the holidays.