• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite College Football Player of All Time

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Spiller was my favorite and there's really no question. Dunn may have been special but he wasn't a Tiger so .....

Whether Dunn was better than Spiller or not in college could be debated, but to what end? I think Dunn is ahead of Spiller in most offensive categories statistically, but it's only by a small margin. I could make the excuse that Spiller had to split time with James Davis for 2 years and could have put up much better numbers if the coaches had seen what the rest of us did. Although Davis did score 47 TD's while at Clemson, so it's hard to say he was a slouch.

It could be that the offseason has affected my Tiger Pride. Either that or I'm hungry. Let me eat some breakfast and get back to you.

:suds:

No problem grab some chow.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's rushing TD's only. Dunn had 37 and spiller had 32. Davis is 2nd to some dude from NC St. for the ACC record.

Davis scored a lot of TDs and Spiller split time, but that Clemson team was not a well balanced team rushing to passing and for good reason. You have lighting and thunder. Now Dunn played on teams with 2 or 3 1,000 yd receivers. FSU was more balanced on offense. I am sure he could have had more TDs just like Spiller. Dunn also gave up a lot of TDs because at that time FSU ran a shitload of WR reverses and played 3 other RBs. People sometimes forget that(even FSU fans).

Both were players that were home run threats every time they touched the ball.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome to see so much old school in this thread, and yes The Tyler Rose was pure badass. Made me an Oiler fan back in the day. Simply couldn't tackle him with one guy.

I have to go with Eric Dickerson. The goggles, the Jheri Curl half fro, the gold Trans Am (thanks Aggies), and the guy could actually give a solid interview. And he could fucking play some football.

Eric Dickerson - Hall of Fame video - YouTube

Unbelievable that you can't find ED highlights from his days at SMU. :gaah:

Did you see the Monday Night game between Oilers and Miami, Earl took a pitch and went 80 plus yards down the sideline, was awesome.

Watched Dickerson in High school, played for Sealy. Was a spectacular running back.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bump. This is a great thread. Where are you CFB fans?

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense: Archie Griffin. Not the biggest, or the fastest, but had a heart like few others, could make you miss or run you over. He had a run where he made several guys miss in a row. I remember Woody Hayes saying, "That is what we call a string of pearls."

The Buckeyes have had other great players, but Archie is #1 for me.

Defense. Chris Spielman. Great player, even as a freshman. Earle Bruce told a story about his first game as a freshman. He didn't start. They didn't put him in. He was pacing the sideline, muttering to himself, "I have to play. I have to play." They finally put him in. Never left the field again.

He was a pro's pro on some awful teams. They said he was too small, too slow, but he was a man. Then, his wife was diagnosed with cancer. He dropped everything to care for her. Since she her diagnosis and death he has raised millions of dollars in support of breast cancer research. I don't know what he has gone through completely, because my wife has survived for almost 2 years since her diagnosis, but I have the utmost respect for him as a player and as a man.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep trying to pick an old school player (i.e. Ricky/Earl/etc...) - But none stand out to my in my football heart like:

Invincible Young. Can't remember ever seeing a guy completely put his team on his back and say "we are not losing this game" like he did. He did it in 2 consecutive Rose Bowls, 1 of them being the NC.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep trying to pick an old school player (i.e. Ricky/Earl/etc...) - But none stand out to my in my football heart like:

Invincible Young. Can't remember ever seeing a guy completely put his team on his back and say "we are not losing this game" like he did. He did it in 2 consecutive Rose Bowls, 1 of them being the NC.

VY was a bitch, and I mean that in a good way.

His Rose Bowl game against USC for all the marbles is the best performance from a single player in a big time game that I've ever seen.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense: Archie Griffin. Not the biggest, or the fastest, but had a heart like few others, could make you miss or run you over. He had a run where he made several guys miss in a row. I remember Woody Hayes saying, "That is what we call a string of pearls."

The Buckeyes have had other great players, but Archie is #1 for me.

Defense. Chris Spielman. Great player, even as a freshman. Earle Bruce told a story about his first game as a freshman. He didn't start. They didn't put him in. He was pacing the sideline, muttering to himself, "I have to play. I have to play." They finally put him in. Never left the field again.

He was a pro's pro on some awful teams. They said he was too small, too slow, but he was a man. Then, his wife was diagnosed with cancer. He dropped everything to care for her. Since she her diagnosis and death he has raised millions of dollars in support of breast cancer research. I don't know what he has gone through completely, because my wife has survived for almost 2 years since her diagnosis, but I have the utmost respect for him as a player and as a man.

I loved Spielman and I do not like OSU. Guy was just a football player. I wouldn't take a bet that he would break 5 flat in a 40, but the dude made plays from tackle to tackle all game long. He might have played the LB position as close to technically perfect as any player I have ever seen.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the Monday Night game between Oilers and Miami, Earl took a pitch and went 80 plus yards down the sideline, was awesome.

Watched Dickerson in High school, played for Sealy. Was a spectacular running back.

Yep. Saw it live and loved every second of Campbell's 80 yard run.

At 1:12 is probably my favorite run of the Tyler Rose. Guy was all man.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homer Picks - Ndamokong Suh, Dave Rimington, Rich Glover, Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill

other team player Hershel Walker Georgia. Eddie George Ohio State. Earl Campbell Texas. OJ Simpson USC. Doug Flutie Boston College. Peyton Manning Tennessee. Oklahoma had Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Billy Simms

Top Pick
I will go with Hershel Walker since he was bigger than every linebacker and a few defensive linemen, and he was faster than everybody in college football. His freshman season was a sight to behold. I watched him every chance I could his three years at Georgia.

I realize most of you did not see OJ Simpson run in college, but he was freaky with his moves.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Brown, who I saw play live. Roger Staubach was another favorite. Archie Griffin would be my favorite Buckeye. Vince Young my favorite Longhorn.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herschel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT- Michael Vick

Non-VT - Barry Sanders

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida through out the decades: Chris Collingsworth, Ran Carthon, Emmit Smith, Jarvis Moss, Percy Harvin & Tim Tebow
Non Florida: Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Johnny Manziel

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to sound like pure blasphemy, but it’s Herschel Walker. I hated his ass when he played at UGA, and I was at UF during that timeframe so he was especially painful to deal with. But when you look at his career, his personality and the way he has carried himself thru life you can’t help but like the guy. Even if he was a smelly Bulldog.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homer pick: Ricky Williams

Non Homer pick: Barry Sanders

surprised you didn't pick Earl as did OOYM, he was a freaking beat to watch...

too many at OU to pick a fav. Greg Pruit, Little Joe, The Godfather. the Selmons, Billy Simms et al. Was lucky to see all of the above and many more play during the 70's....