• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetical question.
2005 NFL draft, Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers are rumored to go 1-2. Of course we know Rodgers fell on the first round until the Packers game to the rescue with the 24th pick.

It would be easier to list the teams that did NOT pass on Rodgers: WSH, IND, SEA, ATL, SD, PIT, PHI and NE. That's it. All other teams passed on him.

Question: would Rodgers have been the same player he is today if he went to any other team that passed on him?
Whefff... idk.

I know Favre never had interest in being the Big Brother or to prepare him. As Favre said, he had another job to do. But Rodgers did get to see first hand what a confident leader with a lazercanonrocket arm can do. And I think watching on Sundays while working during the week is a big help to a young QB. Few get that chance.

Gotta assume thing would be different if he'd went to a place like Cleveland, or Detroit, where he's just a bigtime prospect like others who had came in. And failed.

But he's so talented that I don't think any team he was on could be a failure, for long.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@averagejoe - I think he'd still be a badass

Look how cheaply front office has staffed the OL, have they ever really paid a WR?, and I'd like to think his improvisational skills would translate anywhere

Continual TD vulture from his RBs early in his career too

He's made his WRs stars, where they sure as shit wouldn't be elsewhere

Think if he got to play behind an above average OL, probably wouldn't have been injured.....might have more than 1 SB ring by now..........

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whefff... idk.

I know Favre never had interest in being the Big Brother or to prepare him. As Favre said, he had another job to do. But Rodgers did get to see first hand what a confident leader with a lazercanonrocket arm can do. And I think watching on Sundays while working during the week is a big help to a young QB. Few get that chance.

Gotta assume thing would be different if he'd went to a place like Cleveland, or Detroit, where he's just a bigtime prospect like others who had came in. And failed.

But he's so talented that I don't think any team he was on could be a failure, for long.
If the 2005 Bears draft him in that Lovie Smith era.... IDK. Ron Turner was our OC and he was a stubborn son of a gun. He once said if we run the same play 10 times, they can't stop us all 10 times. I can see them ruining a guy like Rodgers.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the 2005 Bears draft him in that Lovie Smith era.... IDK. Ron Turner was our OC and he was a stubborn son of a gun. He once said if we run the same play 10 times, they can't stop us all 10 times. I can see them ruining a guy like Rodgers.
Mike Martz mighta killed him.

He would've atleast tried.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look what Martz did with an arena league grocery bagger and Marc Bulger.......imagine with Rodgers........

:hungry:
Warner was running for his life in the Arena League. Was perfect conditions for Martz's offense. lol

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warner was running for his life in the Arena League. Was perfect conditions for Martz's offense. lol

i will admit it got figured out in the early-mid 2000s, but previously, his offense was unrivaled and unstoppable

not many guys that get laughed at as much at martz does also changed the way the game is played as much as he did - he's a big reason WRs have flooded the fantasy market today

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bills didn't pass on him...they just traded their 1st rounder the year prior, to get Losman.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetical question.
2005 NFL draft, Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers are rumored to go 1-2. Of course we know Rodgers fell on the first round until the Packers game to the rescue with the 24th pick.

It would be easier to list the teams that did NOT pass on Rodgers: WSH, IND, SEA, ATL, SD, PIT, PHI and NE. That's it. All other teams passed on him.

Question: would Rodgers have been the same player he is today if he went to any other team that passed on him?
That, my friend, is one of the age old sports discussions. Would he have had his confidence shot had he not sat for so long and got thrown to the wolves? Would he have had the same success had he sat behind some journeyman QB for a year instead of watching a future HOFer for a few years? Would Brady be as great had he went to say, the Rams (who picked right before New England in the 6th that year?

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetical question.

Ha! Your teams are all suckers!!

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetical question.

Depends on who that team was, and if they could afford to sit him behind a good-great QB for a year or two (or three)

The luxury of learning from a HOF QB for three years, even if the guy was kind of a dick and didn't want to teach you anything, is priceless. And having the good offensive minded coaches he's had over the years undoubtedly added to his success.

I always love asking the opposite of this question..something like, "what if David Carr hadn't been drafted and forced into starting day one, had he had the chance to sit and learn the game, would he have been a better QB?" Can apply to countless "busts" that were thrown to the wolves way too early.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look what Martz did with an arena league grocery bagger and Marc Bulger.......imagine with Rodgers........

:hungry:
Then he came to Detroit, SF and Chicago. Lol

Nobody was sacked more than Kitna with MM as OC. (Mike Martz, Matt Millen, Martin Mayhew, they all were there in one capacity or the other. Dirty initials for a Lions fan.)

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will admit it got figured out in the early-mid 2000s, but previously, his offense was unrivaled and unstoppable

not many guys that get laughed at as much at martz does also changed the way the game is played as much as he did - he's a big reason WRs have flooded the fantasy market today
This may be true but when the Bears signed him out of desperation, his first order of business was to get rid of one of the best pass-catchers we had in Greg Olsen because Martz's offense doesn't use a TE that catches.
He weakened the roster then stubbornly stuck to a scheme that (by then) defenses were able to defend against.
He may be a hero in the Gateway City but he did the Bears no favors.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deion Jones to IR for all you IDP'ers out there

that came outta no where?
didn't even see him get injured
I had D. Jones on my team. Got me good points too.

Falcons placed MLB Deion Jones on injured reserve with a foot injury.

Jones — who played 68-of-72 snaps in Week 1 — went from feeling soreness to requiring surgery. Coach Dan Quinn did leave open the possibility that Jones can return in 2018. He has to miss a minimum of eight weeks.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
put Crabtree in my lineup, then took him out last minute

this is shaping up as a good garbage time stat game, might end up regretting that

(have plenty of other decent options, only had Crabby in since D.Adams was limited at practice)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins with 12 points last night. Doing just well enough to leave him as my RB2. He’s great with the ball in his hands and does well catching the ball. Unfortunately so does Allen.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a rumor that Detroit is making a play for LeVeon Bell.