• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasty vent: ultimate screw job or no?

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So in one of my leagues with friends, we each throw in $50. Two more weeks until playoffs start, and I need to win out to have a shot at making them. The difference between 3rd and 9th place is 1 game, so it's close. Not being particularly happy with my team, I managed to swing a trade involving Marshawn. No collusion or funny business. It was a deal my buddy and I had been talking about for 2 weeks and we finally pulled the trigger just before the deadline. It put my season in even more doubt since Lynch is on a bye this week and I just opened up a hole at RB, but I did it because on the slim chance I make the playoffs, I'd have a better shot.

It got vetoed today, despite my pleading and explanations. The reasons were as lame as it gets.

"You make compelling points, but I need that last playoff spot!"

"Hmmm. Yeah you're right… Nevermind. Sorry. Can't let you have him."

"It's Lynch man! Gotta be collusion!"

There's still a slimmm chance I make it in, but I'm so annoyed that I don't particularly care. I put in the time and made the best out of a bleak scenario, only to have it taken out of my hands because it scared them. I'm not even a bitter person, but I'm so tempted to drop my entire team or start picking up guys like Hernandez and Plax, just to take it out of their hands as well. Someone be my moral compass, I'm not thinking straight.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
who did you trade to get Lynch?

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went through the same crap 3 years ago man, I had Chris Johnson when he was good and everyone wanted him from me in our league, I worked with most of the guys in the league so it was everyday at work they were asking for him, I was last in the league with very slim chance had a couple good RBs but no real good wrs so I traded to one guy for 2 solid wrs, it got vetoed and mind you every one that vetoed it was asking me at work or thru messages for CJ. what it boiled down to in my eyes and the fellow trade party was jealousy and being scared to let someone else have him, so I was drinking one night it got vetoed and there was some back and forth messages and I got pissed and dropped every player I had like you were thinking, some of them got pissed others tried to pick my guys up first, ultimately the commish took over my team and got all my guys back and set my lineups after that. I think its bullshit if you paid in money that they can veto trades like that just because, if your trade is pretty equal then there should be no crying about it.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's the way your league is I wouldn't play in it. It's bullshit. Vetoing a trade based on jealousy is lame.

Whoever the commish is in your league needs to step up.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I appreciate the responses. I don't know what to do at this point. The worst part is that the trade had been accepted for over a day and no one bothered to say anything one or the other, until the freaking COMMISSIONER sent out a message to everyone telling them to veto it because it "altered the league dynamic". He went so far as to walk them through the veto process (trades are pretty rare) AFTER I explained why that was lame and why the trade made sense for both parties. They're my good friends (supposedly) and I've been in the league for years without issue, so even though my blood is boiling right now, I'm not sure I want to burn bridges. All options suck.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what was the trade tho? important detail. lol

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Marshawn Lynch (on a bye) and Torrey Smith for Chris Ivory and Vincent Jackson.

I offered him any RB on my team from the beginning. He selected Ivory due to his recent emergence and health (he's a Jets fan, maybe that factored in). We were considering including TEs because he wanted Gronk, but he was going to offer Julius Thomas and with his current injury question we dropped it. Honestly, as long as I wasn't offering him total scrubs in an obvious attempt at collusion, or trying to rip off someone who wasn't informed, it shouldn't be an issue. We've both won the league in recent years.

Just to elaborate, I initially asked about trades a couple weeks ago and joked about Marshawn, but he was surprisingly receptive. It went from there and came down to the last day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah if I was in a league were I didn't know you I would say that was not a balanced trade. VJAX is a little better then Torrey Smith, but Lynch is WAY better the Chris Ivory. I am not sure I would have vetoed, but I would be suspicious.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah if I was in a league were I didn't know you I would say that was not a balanced trade. VJAX is a little better then Torrey Smith, but Lynch is WAY better the Chris Ivory. I am not sure I would have vetoed, but I would be suspicious.

Yeah I can clearly understand that. But I know all these people well, and we explained that his thinking was the need for an RB this week, while I was gambling in the event I made the playoffs. I didn't expect anyone to be happy about it, but vetoing it because it made my team better and threatened their chance at the playoffs wasn't cool.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I can clearly understand that. But I know all these people well, and we explained that his thinking was the need for an RB this week, while I was gambling in the event I made the playoffs. I didn't expect anyone to be happy about it, but vetoing it because it made my team better and threatened their chance at the playoffs wasn't cool.

Yeah I get ya, If I knew all the guys I would be pissed too. I might also be upset with my trading partners choice in running backs, because I think thats what did you in there. People are going to see Lynch Vs Ivory and go, DA FCK.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else do you got at RB?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see why there was vetoes. I wouldn't veto it. The bye is a legitimate thing especially if you're fighting for a playoff spot. But unless there's obvious collusion or a huge discrepancy in talent I wouldn't veto any trade.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wanted to add my veto story..................when I started my league we had the veto rule too, it was by league vote and the Commish (me) would break any ties.

well there was this lopsided trade involving Favre at his prime, I put it to the vote of 8 other teams (10 team league), and of course it was easily vetoed. being the Commish, it was my job to inform the two teams of the veto. the team who was supposed to get Favre was a GOOD friend of everyone in the league......prior to this trade! well after I informed him of this veto he didn't speak to me or most of the league for over 8 years. not kidding!

he hated my guts despite me trying to explain i'm just the messenger.

so back then we decided to remove the veto rule and install a side bet rule. all teams have to side bet all other teams, every week. a small amount but enough to deter two teams from colluding, which is the reason for the veto rule.

evaluating trades is subjective and not easily judged, so better to remove it and nobody can hate.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little lopsided of a trade, but definitely nothing close to anything I'd veto. Especially since you know them all. Their reasoning is the really stupid part.

They're your friends, so don't burn any bridges. Just don't join that league again unless they address this issue. I know it sucks, and there's nothing you can do about it, but that's the best you can do.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I said from the beginning that the veto option was dumb because this type of thing could happen. It rewards pettiness. Leave it up to the commish. But our commissioner said then technically HE can get away with collusion, and he didn't want to be the bad guy who shoots down trades thats aren't cool. Which seems like a joke now that he was the one leading the charge against the trade…

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said from the beginning that the veto option was dumb because this type of thing could happen. It rewards pettiness. Leave it up to the commish. But our commissioner said then technically HE can get away with collusion, and he didn't want to be the bad guy who shoots down trades thats aren't cool. Which seems like a joke now that he was the one leading the charge against the trade…

I read that as he had cheese temptations on the brain the entire time and knew he couldn't handle the pressure of needing to rely on his own morals in order to not be a dick.... which is ultimately why he broke down and acted like a dick. (no disrespect intended since you know these guys and normally you're all cool w/ each other, but it's just what I see.)

Unfortunately I would probably go the route someone else already mentioned of accepting the gut shot and simply not playing FF with them, or the very least the same commissioner in place, next year or until the rule is changed, because you put down too much money to be jerked around by 1 or more people who are frustrated that they couldn't swing their own trades.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

as the Commissioner of my league, I felt this way too. no way was I going to judge trades by myself. I also have my own team competing, so didn't want ANYTHING to infer bias.

the far majority of trades are NOT lopsided, so evaluating trades has too much subjectivity. ask 5 guys and you get 5 different opinions.